BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys

Just thought I would share an experience with you.

I just had the Bilstein engine flush, even though I had changed the oil a week before - I booked into get this done at a local work shop with the Bilsten machine. It cost 70gbp equivelant converted from Swedish kronor. You also have to pay for the oil - I use Castrol RS 10-60w and off course a BMW oil filter.

So we connect a pipe from the oil filter to the machine and from the oil plug underneath to the machine too. 16bar of pressure and 12minutes later - I look at the Bilsten filter and it is black! From one week old oil. I was worried that the oil from the oil cooler would not be taken out but it was.

So now I have a new O2 sensor and Inspection 2 (without the oil change).
My average mpg over 1000km (and I was not holding back on the revs a few times!) returned a lovely 23,5mpg.

I run a UNICHIP and Cams, so I do not know how those affect the mpg, but I was told not to be surprised when fitting the UNICHIP to get a slightly lower mpg henceforth.

The great thing is the car runs so unbelievably smoothly through the revs - does not ever feel tired and is generally alot quieter.

Anyway - I reccomend this service especially in conjunction with a new 02 sensor it is a great way to bring your emissions down too I believe (will check my values later).

There its off my chest.

Regards
J

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi,

I'm activating this old thread since I'm curious about what Jahangeer thinks about the Bilstein Engine Flush now that it was some time ago. My father did it recently on his BMW and it seemed like a good treatment, so I'm considering it for my S8B38 too.
Jahangeer, how does your oil look now, is it still nicely as nicely golden/brown as when it was fresh? Do you notice any positive/negative change in oil consumption after this treatment?

Has anyone else here heard of or tried Bilstein's Engine flush? If so, what's your opinion?

Regards,
Patrik

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr. J said:
Hi,

I'm activating this old thread since I'm curious about what Jahangeer thinks about the Bilstein Engine Flush now that it was some time ago. My father did it recently on his BMW and it seemed like a good treatment, so I'm considering it for my S8B38 too.
Jahangeer, how does your oil look now, is it still nicely as nicely golden/brown as when it was fresh? Do you notice any positive/negative change in oil consumption after this treatment?

Has anyone else here heard of or tried Bilstein's Engine flush? If so, what's your opinion?

Regards,
Patrik
------------------------
Hello Patrick
Hoe you are well sir?
Will we see you at Knutstorp on the 13th?
Its a lot cleaner than before - you can see the colour of the oil - obviously there are still small specks of black in there but I think it is alot cleaner. If I did it again - the day befoe doing the flush I would probably take of the oil pan to see if there is any sludge there and clean it out. Also I would take of the oil cooler and wash it through myself, as i am not sure how well the Bilstein cleaned this - and I feel it was because of this the oil after the change was not toally clear and amber coloured.

I will do it again next year properly doing the things mentioned above.
I have only had two "oljestand" messages since doing the engine flush. i think I did it in April this year. But I have had one Inspection 2 and an oil change in that period and covered 10,678km's.

I noticed my fuel consumption went down very slightly after this - it worked out at around 2-4%.

I also had a new lambda sensor when I had the inspection 2 - so I do not know if this affects anything.

Hope I have answered your question, I do think it worth doing the engine flush, if anything it gets rid of most of the crap in the engine, as I looked at the filter on the machine afterwards and it was totally full of black gundge.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jahangeer said:
------------------------
Hello Patrick
Hoe you are well sir?
Will we see you at Knutstorp on the 13th?
Its a lot cleaner than before - you can see the colour of the oil - obviously there are still small specks of black in there but I think it is alot cleaner. If I did it again - the day befoe doing the flush I would probably take of the oil pan to see if there is any sludge there and clean it out. Also I would take of the oil cooler and wash it through myself, as i am not sure how well the Bilstein cleaned this - and I feel it was because of this the oil after the change was not toally clear and amber coloured.

I will do it again next year properly doing the things mentioned above.
I have only had two "oljestand" messages since doing the engine flush. i think I did it in April this year. But I have had one Inspection 2 and an oil change in that period and covered 10,678km's.

I noticed my fuel consumption went down very slightly after this - it worked out at around 2-4%.

I also had a new lambda sensor when I had the inspection 2 - so I do not know if this affects anything.

Hope I have answered your question, I do think it worth doing the engine flush, if anything it gets rid of most of the crap in the engine, as I looked at the filter on the machine afterwards and it was totally full of black gundge.
----------------

actually I did not have the oil changed at the Inspection2 as I was having the engine flush the following week - so I have only really had one other oil change in the period from the engine flush to now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello Jahangeer!

I'm fine thanks, hope you're doing well too! I didn't know about the BMW event at Knutstorp, but had already booked a trip this week to the racing circuit Gotland Ring, which was great fun! :wroom: It was my first time ever at a track, but definitely not the last! It was really great getting to unleash the M5 like that, and even though I'm just a beginner when it comes to driving techniques, I did at least leave their aftermarket tuned ring-taxi Seats way behind when accelerating! :M5rev: :)
How was Knutstorp, many M5's there?

Great input about the engine flush, sounds like there is some job required to really get the most out of it on the M5. It definitely felt good seeing the engine getting all this black oil flushed away, and looking at the filter proved that too.
Wouldn't the oil sump have to be removed at the Bilstein garage in order to avoid a second oil change (ie fill-up after reinstalling the cleaned sump), or am I getting it wrong?

I remember that someone thought an engine flush could actually remove "good" oil buildups that would seal an old engine, thus making it burn more oil. However, most people seem happy about the treatment, and I'm not technical enough to evaluate that objection.

Cheers,
Patrik

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mr. J said:
Hello Jahangeer!

I'm fine thanks, hope you're doing well too! I didn't know about the BMW event at Knutstorp, but had already booked a trip this week to the racing circuit Gotland Ring, which was great fun! :wroom: It was my first time ever at a track, but definitely not the last! It was really great getting to unleash the M5 like that, and even though I'm just a beginner when it comes to driving techniques, I did at least leave their aftermarket tuned ring-taxi Seats way behind when accelerating! :M5rev: :)
How was Knutstorp, many M5's there?

Great input about the engine flush, sounds like there is some job required to really get the most out of it on the M5. It definitely felt good seeing the engine getting all this black oil flushed away, and looking at the filter proved that too.
Wouldn't the oil sump have to be removed at the Bilstein garage in order to avoid a second oil change (ie fill-up after reinstalling the cleaned sump), or am I getting it wrong?

I remember that someone thought an engine flush could actually remove "good" oil buildups that would seal an old engine, thus making it burn more oil. However, most people seem happy about the treatment, and I'm not technical enough to evaluate that objection.

Cheers,
Patrik

------------

Patrick

Next time you go to Gotland ring - let me know - i may come with you.

Not sure about the oil sump - but the oil pan should be checked for build up of sludge.

Not sure about the "good oil" build ups around the piston rings - I assume, sounds like poppycock to me. If it were the case the new car out of the factory would leak oil....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts