BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Problem has probably been covered but there are all sorts of answers in the search and I'm unsure of which is correct. Any help/input would be appreciated.

Empty road (in Mexico?) so I decided to take the beast on a nice run. Managed to hit 160 before traffic occurred. :wroom:

After driving for about 30 mins, iDrive popped up with Engine fault. Reduced power and RPM limiter dropped to 4k. I pulled over to the hard shoulder (emergency lane) and restarted the car. Did not sound right. Sounded more like a V8 and idle was going crazy. Turned the car off and waited for the recovery service.

The first tow truck arrived but was there to take my friend and I to a "safe area" as we were on the motorway. An hour later, the second guy arrived with his code reader. He stated that all cylinders were misfiring and told me that the cause of this was the timing chain has come out of place. I wasn't thinking correctly at the time and didn't ask him what the codes were.

Is it likely that the timing chain has come out of place during the motorway blast and could this be causing the misfire? I had the car taken to a garage which I will go to later today as it's 3:30am right now and have them pull the codes again and check deeper into the issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wait for the codes and let us know before we can be of help. So many issues causes misfire on all cylinders, but the dreadful one is vanos issues. Wish you luck as you await the codes.

T

·
0 Posts
All cylinder misfire is most likely a Vanos oil pressure issue or spun bearing unfortunately :-/

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All cylinder misfire is most likely a Vanos oil pressure issue or spun bearing unfortunately :-/
That is not what I wasnted to read :crying2:

Unfortunately, the garage was super busy today and closed early too so I won't be hearing from them until Monday. Worse comes to worse am I looking at replacing the Vanos oil pressure unit and/or my rod bearings?

·
Registered
362 Posts
If your rod bearings failed, there is no replacing them.
What this guy said.

You will likely soon be a customer of this guy so get to know him well.

However, it COULD be something simple......

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the bright side, I didn't hear any knocking from the engine or any unusual sounds apart from the fact that it sounded like a V8. I'll have them perform an oil change tomorrow and see the outcome of that.

T

·
0 Posts
have them check the oil filter housing. If there is metal, then that is your answer. If there isn't metal and you have Vanos timing faults, then the vanos pump or vanos line has failed..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
have them check the oil filter housing. If there is metal, then that is your answer. If there isn't metal and you have Vanos timing faults, then the vanos pump or vanos line has failed..
Thanks for the help, Troy. I'll have them do that first thing. I'll keep the thread updated with the results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts