BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some M5's lately that have had engine failures, and I thought there was about time to collect a little statistics on those failures to see if there is some common factors.

I just came back from the workshop, the old enigene is taken out, and the new shiny one stands next to the car, ready to be inserted. Next ty my car, is antother e39 M5 with the engine taken out too, and here comes to curious part. The car standing next to mine, is produced on the same day, with just two cars between in production, and listen to this: the excact same failure, in the same cylinder!! Both are produced in june 1999, both have the same failure. The workshop manager has been in contact with BMW M Gmbh, but they call it a unfortunate coincidence.

I forgot to ask which cylinder that was damaged, but i'll find out on monday, and update this post along with some more technical details.

It would be much appriciated if those of you that have had a engine failure could post a reply here with:

Production date:
Failure description:
Damaged cylinder(s):
Fault occured on KM/Mile:
Oil used:

My Car:
Production date: June 99
Failure description: damaged cylinder/thrown rod/damage to crankshaft.
Damaged cylinder(s): x (will find out)
Fault occured: 120.000km
Oil Used: Only TWS

It's "sibling":
Production date: June 99
Failure description: damaged cylinder/thrown rod/damage to crankshaft.
Damaged cylinder(s): x (will find out)
Fault occured: N/A (will find out)
Oil Used: N/A (will find out)

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident, I hope it all turns out well. That is to much of a coincidence that both cars had the same production date:confused:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just got back from BMW today. My car has been drinking an excessive amount of oil (1L / 250 miles). BMW are having it for 10 days to figure out whats wrong. At the moment the most likely cause is a scored bore, apparently one other M5 taken to that dealer has had this problem too. I'm not sure exactly what a "scored bore" is, but it sounds a lot like the same thing as you guys are describing. Thank god its still under warranty.

Miles: 78000
Prod Date: April 2000
Oil: TWS Only

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
M5BHP said:
Just got back from BMW today. My car has been drinking an excessive amount of oil (1L / 250 miles). BMW are having it for 10 days to figure out whats wrong. At the moment the most likely cause is a scored bore, apparently one other M5 taken to that dealer has had this problem too. I'm not sure exactly what a "scored bore" is, but it sounds a lot like the same thing as you guys are describing. Thank god its still under warranty.

Unless the engine has a serious lubrication problem, a scored bore is generally a localized problem that is confirmed by inspection. Some shops have medical-quality video instrumentation that allows them to look inside cylinders. Scoring of a lower mile motor generally occurs when some type of debris finds it's way into the cylinder & gets stuck between the piston & cylinder wall. A chunk of dislodged carbon buildup or a spark plug electrode are the most common culprits...assuming somebody didn't drop something into the intake system.

The spark plug issue is serious. This is why many experts insist on OEM-spec plugs. Certain alternative spark plugs seem to fail on BMW V8's. The Bosch +4 plugs lose their electrodes very quickly when installed in the M62 4.4L motor. This is very risky for motor health.

·
Registered
487 Posts
M5BHP said:

You might wan to contact BMW becasue I know there was a black M5 at Niello BMW in Sacramento, CA that had the engine torn down and same thing, scored cylinders. Thye were not sure what the heck happened because the piston/rings appeared to be in good shape... 2000 M5 I believe.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
robertdn said:
The car standing next to mine, is produced on the same day, with just two cars between in production, and listen to this: the excact same failure, in the same cylinder!! Both are produced in june 1999, both have the same failure. The workshop manager has been in contact with BMW M Gmbh, but they call it a unfortunate coincidence.
Hmmm...was the "unfortunate conincidence" simply that both cars were in the same shop so that BMW's hidden cat is out of the bag. :)

Looks like we need Jason from the E46 M3 Engine Failure Archive to start a site for the M5. (hopefully just saying this in jest?).

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Production date: July 2001
Failure description: Loose connecting rod (possibly due to split bearing)
Damaged cylinder(s): TBD after inspection
Fault occured on KM/Mile: 56,000 miles
Oil used: 5W30 Synthetic per BMW specifications

·
Registered
63 Posts
M5BHP,

Just got my hands on an S62 engine fresh out of my local dealer. It was replaced due to 'excessive' oil consumption. I have got hold of it so as I can carry out an autopsy to locate the cause of problem?? This may take me a week or two..... Please let me know the exact cause of oil consumption when your dealer has done his job. Think that all too many S62's are encountering problems despite full dealer servicing etc. Rekon there HAS to be a common factor??
Regards
Peter.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not going to do anything, just get rid of the car as fast as possible.

(because it turns out I don't have a warranty anymore, expired 1st March, and I don't want a warranty-less beast)

M500PMW said:
M5BHP,

Just got my hands on an S62 engine fresh out of my local dealer. It was replaced due to 'excessive' oil consumption. I have got hold of it so as I can carry out an autopsy to locate the cause of problem?? This may take me a week or two..... Please let me know the exact cause of oil consumption when your dealer has done his job. Think that all too many S62's are encountering problems despite full dealer servicing etc. Rekon there HAS to be a common factor??
Regards
Peter.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
M5BHP said:
I'm not going to do anything, just get rid of the car as fast as possible.
My 2000 drank oil around town - about 3 quarts/1,000 miles - but on long highway trips I've experienced 1/3 quart/2,000 miles.
:confused2 Go figure. One thing I've found however, is the arrogance the factory has re. their engines. I truly believe they feel they can do no wrong - not!

·
Registered
63 Posts
M5BHP,

Surely your dealer is going to apply for a 'goodwill' warranty claim on your behalf?? The vehicle is only severall weeks out of policy, will they not let you re-new??
Regards
Peter

·
Registered
131 Posts
No, BMW warranties are now regulated by the FSA and they cannot renew a warranty more than 14 days after it expires, and I don't want a car without a warranty so its for sale.

M500PMW said:
M5BHP,

Surely your dealer is going to apply for a 'goodwill' warranty claim on your behalf?? The vehicle is only severall weeks out of policy, will they not let you re-new??
Regards
Peter

·
Banned
300 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
July Build 2001 M5

Updated after inspection by dealership today

Failure description: Loose connecting rod due to spun bearing
Damaged cylinder(s): Number 8
Fault occured on KM/Mile: ~56,000 miles
Oil used: 5W30 synthetic per BMW specifications
Engine/Chip Mods: None
Recommendation: Replacement engine
BMW Assistance: Decision pending

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: July Build 2001 M5

JFB said:
Updated after inspection by dealership today

Failure description: Loose connecting rod due to spun bearing
Damaged cylinder(s): Number 8
Fault occured on KM/Mile: ~56,000 miles
Oil used: 5W30 synthetic per BMW specifications
Engine/Chip Mods: None
Recommendation: Replacement engine
BMW Assistance: Decision pending
Thanks for the update! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, and really hope that you get some support from BMW if replacement engine is the favorable option. Which I tend to belive, since parts alone for fixing that kind of problem amounts to about $16K from what i've heard.

Kees, is there anyway I can update the first post with the new information ?

I got my car back this afternoon, felt like a child on christmas eve getting those keys back. Have been driving several hours this evening.....allthough it's a bit frustrating not being able to let the beast free, it sure feels really good! :wroom:

It took less than two weeks from ordering the engine until I got the car back, that's quite impressive considered that, to my knowledge, the engine is only produced on order, and was assembled last week.

Again thanks for sharing and good luck!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CSBM5 said:
Hmmm...was the "unfortunate conincidence" simply that both cars were in the same shop so that BMW's hidden cat is out of the bag. :)

Looks like we need Jason from the E46 M3 Engine Failure Archive to start a site for the M5. (hopefully just saying this in jest?).
If there is some common faults, or reason to believe that there could be some manufacturing weknesses during some periodes, there might be some hope. But I don't think there's a lot to gain here, since many of the cars might be too old, or have to "high" milage. What it could do, is to help owners of newer M5's (ie >2001/2002) if they have similar problems.

The other car also has the same milage as mine, so the coincidences pile up here :) To my knowledge, the other car only had one previous owner, which has driven the car very gentle.......according to the workshop, his clutch had never been changed, since 99!! So I don't think that it's my crave for trackdays that have ruined the engine either.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Seems like a lot of the 2000 and some 2001 cars are having the engine issues. Do you think this is a product of something in the workmanship during that production period or just the fact that the 2002 and 2003 model cars dont quite have enough miles on them yet to start experiencing these issues?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SACM5 said:
Seems like a lot of the 2000 and some 2001 cars are having the engine issues. Do you think this is a product of something in the workmanship during that production period or just the fact that the 2002 and 2003 model cars dont quite have enough miles on them yet to start experiencing these issues?
I for sure don't know too much about technical engineering beyond my interest in it. However, it's likely that a weakness need some milage to show it self, and as you say the 2002/2003 cars normally don't have that milage yet.

For all, I hope this is just some unfortunate events, and that there isn't any weakness in the M5 engine, but seeing two cars produced on the same day, with identical faults, indentical milage and two different types of owners makes one start to think!

I forgot to ask which sylinder that was damaged on my car, will update that info later.

·
Registered
487 Posts
robertdn said:
I for sure don't know too much about technical engineering beyond my interest in it. However, it's likely that a weakness need some milage to show it self, and as you say the 2002/2003 cars normally don't have that milage yet.

For all, I hope this is just some unfortunate events, and that there isn't any weakness in the M5 engine, but seeing two cars produced on the same day, with identical faults, indentical milage and two different types of owners makes one start to think!

I forgot to ask which sylinder that was damaged on my car, will update that info later.
Maybe the same technician worked on both your engines.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts