BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

My engine seems to just cut out when idle for about 2 or 3 minutes of idle. Never did this before. Recently I changed the MAFs to one I got from another board member, it was not new but the car did perform better. This was done about 3 days ago.

I just got the car back from the garage and the installed new SS brake lines, new brake fluid and new brake pads, would not say any of these would be the cause.

I also got a AA CAI installed as well. Had the K&N filters in, but i swapped it back to OEM filters but it still cuts out. No problem when driving. Just when I get out open the bonett and was looking at the engine and it dies. Started the engine again and leave it for a while and it dies again.

Any ideas? I am stumped because I asked the garage and said nothing that they did really should effect and cause the engine to do this. Would the MAFs cause it? Thanks in advance for all your advice.

:crying:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh no! Just went back to the car and now it will not start. It fires up, chuggs a bit and then dies. Help! My car is now garage ridden.:crying:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More info now, got hold of some minds. Some say it might be the MAFs and others say it might be the OBC trying to recalibrate itself with the new K&N filter. Which was put on, then taken off again.

It starts again now after rejigging the MAFs. I can sleep ok tonight knowing it starts and now all I need to do is get it down to BMW to do a diagnostics.

??????

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't run the tests as I dont have one of those computer, nor do I have GPS on my car.

It seems to be cutting out when the car is warm. Also only when I am trying to start the car, once it is started it won't cut out lets say when driving.

I am thinking it might be the MAFs because when i take out the connection for the drivers side one it will start. Then when I connect it again it wont. If i take out the oter one and leave the drivers side MAF in it wont start.

Got these MAFs from a board meber and only had it installed a couple of days.
Looks like a PM is in order.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts