BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come I have seen 2 different covers for the engine? I have seen a gray one and a black one. Is there a choice to pick which one you want?? Because if i had to choose i would pick the gray one(even though i still think its too plain)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Never saw it before, but it looks really nice. Gives a lighter aspect to the under the hood look. It shouldn't be too complicated, after all it's just injecting diferent couloured plastic, but i don't think you'll have a choice. I believe gray one was just in prototypes, but maybe you have a friend at M than can source 1 out ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
greg_h said:
If there is going to be options, they should give us a clear plenum cover option.
I have got to say, wonderfull IDEIA!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You should go work for M ;)

Seriously, write to them with that suggestion, I think lot's of people would love that. I don't know if a clear cover would be harder to manufacture, after all, i don't think "clear" is a coulour you can select when injecting plastic moulds ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
António Duarte said:
I don't know if a clear cover would be harder to manufacture, after all, i don't think "clear" is a coulour you can select when injecting plastic moulds ;)
Yes it is, you use transparent granule.

SuperBMW said:
Clear will discolor from the engine heat
Totally dependant on quality of plastic used.

·
Registered
213 Posts
B6-523 said:
Yes it is, you use transparent granule.

Totally dependant on quality of plastic used.
I should have figured that, i guess i was lazy. Good to know at least one board member knows about plastics :thumbsup: . Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, I don´t know much, just studied injection moulding for a couple of years some 5 or so years ago. Don´t remember too much about it anymore though. :hihi:

Niclas

B

·
0 Posts
After seeing so many e60 photos and several in real-life, I think that black is the best looking color hands down.

Cheers, Daniel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts