BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I've been having some sporadic rough running issues and ran my codes using my evolve software.. these are what come up
1 code 69 engine coolant temperature plausibility
2 code B5 Filler cap open
3 code C4 Misfire cyl 1
4 code C7 Misfire cyl 4
5 code 95 Misfire w/empty fuel tank
6 code CF Misfire during warm up cyl 3
7 code D0 Misfire during warm up cyl 4
8 code D5 Misfire during warm up multiple cylinders

Also my brake, park brake, and traction control light went on at the same time then shut the car off and turned it back on and my traction control light is permanently on. Still feels like traction kicks in though even though the light is on.. Ran the codes for that in inpa and I got a couple weird ones.. cleared them and the one that comes back is:

88 precharge pump
Error frequency 255

It then lists everything under as passive and says stop light switch is off

Anyone have some ideas on my problems?

There's this other problem that I'm having but its just sound I believe.. The muffler shop said they most likely just need to remove my collectors and put them back on.
When I'm revving down or engine braking there's a metallic clanking noise that's pretty loud. Only when revving down doesn't matter if I'm movingor not..
Most pronounced when the engine is warm. Didn't happen until I got my car back from a body shop one day and noticed it. Maybe something came loose while it was there.. idk.
Car is kind of pissing me off with all these errors right now :confused3
Help!! :1zhelp::crying:

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Alright so I've been having some sporadic rough running issues and ran my codes using my evolve software.. these are what come up
1 code 69 engine coolant temperature plausibility
2 code B5 Filler cap open
3 code C4 Misfire cyl 1
4 code C7 Misfire cyl 4
5 code 95 Misfire w/empty fuel tank
6 code CF Misfire during warm up cyl 3
7 code D0 Misfire during warm up cyl 4
8 code D5 Misfire during warm up multiple cylinders
First of all, the DME loves saving codes in memory even when they are no longer applicable so you should clear these codes and see what comes back.

Code 69 usually means you need a new t/s. Do a search on checking using the secret menu.
Code B5 seems to be self-explanatory, although how the DME knows the EVAP system is leaking through the fuel cap rather than any of the other hoses and connections I don't know.
The misfire codes on bank 1 without a corresponding code for a bad injector or coil or AFR problem often indicate a VANOS or CMPS problem. A DIS VANOS test will tell you if the VANOS is working well.

That misfire with empty tank is a weird one - I think the DME is covering it's *** by saying, "Well you have a misfire but then you also have low fuel level. I'm just saying."

Also my brake, park brake, and traction control light went on at the same time then shut the car off and turned it back on and my traction control light is permanently on. Still feels like traction kicks in though even though the light is on.. Ran the codes for that in inpa and I got a couple weird ones.. cleared them and the one that comes back is:

88 precharge pump
Error frequency 255

It then lists everything under as passive and says stop light switch is off

Anyone have some ideas on my problems?
Yes. You have a bad precharge pump, or a blown fuse or damaged wiring. (Generally, these codes don't lie.) That pump is located in a horrible spot in front of the driver's side (LHS) front wheel. I'm surprised they don't fail more often. Their job is to fire up up occasionally to provide brake pressure for DSC activation when you are not actually pressing on the brake pedal.

There's this other problem that I'm having but its just sound I believe.. The muffler shop said they most likely just need to remove my collectors and put them back on.
When I'm revving down or engine braking there's a metallic clanking noise that's pretty loud. Only when revving down doesn't matter if I'm movingor not..
Most pronounced when the engine is warm. Didn't happen until I got my car back from a body shop one day and noticed it. Maybe something came loose while it was there.. idk.
Car is kind of pissing me off with all these errors right now :confused3
Help!! :1zhelp::crying:
Do you have aftermarket cats? The cheapy honeycombs have a nasty habit of breaking up and clanging around inside the cat shell.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Clear all the codes, drive 30-40 miles. Check the system again even if you don't have the SES light on. If there is a hard code it will definitely come back.

Reactions: m5rosemont83

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
First of all, the DME loves saving codes in memory even when they are no longer applicable so you should clear these codes and see what comes back.

Code 69 usually means you need a new t/s. Do a search on checking using the secret menu.
Code B5 seems to be self-explanatory, although how the DME knows the EVAP system is leaking through the fuel cap rather than any of the other hoses and connections I don't know.
The misfire codes on bank 1 without a corresponding code for a bad injector or coil or AFR problem often indicate a VANOS or CMPS problem. A DIS VANOS test will tell you if the VANOS is working well.

That misfire with empty tank is a weird one - I think the DME is covering it's *** by saying, "Well you have a misfire but then you also have low fuel level. I'm just saying."

Yes. You have a bad precharge pump, or a blown fuse or damaged wiring. (Generally, these codes don't lie.) That pump is located in a horrible spot in front of the driver's side (LHS) front wheel. I'm surprised they don't fail more often. Their job is to fire up up occasionally to provide brake pressure for DSC activation when you are not actually pressing on the brake pedal.

Do you have aftermarket cats? The cheapy honeycombs have a nasty habit of breaking up and clanging around inside the cat shell.
I'll see what codes come back. I have a new thermostat ready.. also have a new fuel pump from bmw waiting. Actually have about $1500 in parts in a box that I am being lazy to put in.
Various vacuum hoses etc
I'll check the fuses.. Hope it's that simple. It probably is something with the pump though as all the lights came on and restarting the car kept only the traction light on. Fingers crossed.

I do have aftermarket cats but they were the evolve race cats so they aren't cheapy! Lol

Clear all the codes, drive 30-40 miles. Check the system again even if you don't have the SES light on. If there is a hard code it will definitely come back.
Will check codes again today. So far no SES light..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts