BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have informed you in an earlier post, the engine of my car has broken down. The mechanic believes that the problem that has caused the series of problems was a broken cylinder head gasket. The cylinder has "inhaled" water, tried to compress it and has hit a valve in that process. This evidently stopped the camshaft from rotating which caused the small chain between the camshafts to break and fall into the oil pan together with the chain guide and four bolt heads from the vanos assembly.

When the lifted the cylinder head they discovered that one of the cylinders was severly scratched. BMW suggested that we would have to get a new engine because this one can't be repaired.
Luckely I have an insurance that covers engine problems, but I will have to pay 25% of the cost. The cost is now very close to $30.000.

Using this board as a leverage, I have initiated a discussion with BMW to get them to sponsor me financially. They are currently looking into the matter and I will get an answer within a few days. I said something to the nature of "being a devoted BMW owner with two M5s and a R1150RT, not to mention all the spare parts and service I have bought", they may want to keep me as a customer.

The insurance company may want to buy me out, but then I will loose too much money, I think. I was planning on keeping this car for 5 years or more. Now I have had it less than 2.
The insurane company found a second hand engine but rejected it. It should have less km on the clock than mine or it will be a new one. I, and BMW, thinks that my insurance company (Trygg Hansa in Sweden) has a very professional approach to solve the problem as best they can for me.

I'll keep you posted.
/Cheers

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Hi:

Sorry to hear of your problems. What is the year and production month of your car? It looks like more and more engines are letting go these days.

How would you rate your driving style and maintenance on the car? Do you drive it hard, but keep it well maintained? Go by the factory maintenance schedule or more frequently? I'm trying to keep a mental list of all these failures in case anything ever happens in the future!

Good luck getting everything fixed. Keep us posted.

:cheers:

·
Registered
931 Posts
What a bummer! I do hope this works out in your favor.

How many miles/km are on that engine? I hope this is not a trend that may become more common as thes cars get older.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
ilundber said:
As I have informed you in an earlier post, the engine of my car has broken down. The mechanic believes that the problem that has caused the series of problems was a broken cylinder head gasket. The cylinder has "inhaled" water, tried to compress it and has hit a valve in that process. This evidently stopped the camshaft from rotating which caused the small chain between the camshafts to break and fall into the oil pan together with the chain guide and four bolt heads from the vanos assembly.

When the lifted the cylinder head they discovered that one of the cylinders was severly scratched. BMW suggested that we would have to get a new engine because this one can't be repaired.
Luckely I have an insurance that covers engine problems, but I will have to pay 25% of the cost. The cost is now very close to $30.000.

Using this board as a leverage, I have initiated a discussion with BMW to get them to sponsor me financially. They are currently looking into the matter and I will get an answer within a few days. I said something to the nature of "being a devoted BMW owner with two M5s and a R1150RT, not to mention all the spare parts and service I have bought", they may want to keep me as a customer.

The insurance company may want to buy me out, but then I will loose too much money, I think. I was planning on keeping this car for 5 years or more. Now I have had it less than 2.
The insurane company found a second hand engine but rejected it. It should have less km on the clock than mine or it will be a new one. I, and BMW, thinks that my insurance company (Trygg Hansa in Sweden) has a very professional approach to solve the problem as best they can for me.

I'll keep you posted.
/Cheers
If you can find anyone within the BMW service organization with working brain cells and common sense, they should be DELIGHTED to cover the $8K difference in good faith. They are lucky you have supplemental insurance. In the USA, most car manufacturers would cover such an out-of-warranty claim without much argument. In a few cases they might only cover 50%, but that would be $15K in your scenerio! I think they will pick up the deductible in this case. Your stable (other BMW vehicles) should have a positive impact (too). Maintain pressure (lol).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car has 64.000 km on the clock. I have been driving very carefully. Never rush the engine before the oil temp is up and the "leds" but the last yellow and the red ones are out. Always drive the car to normal operating temperature (even the wife and the kids do so). :)
I have talked to BMW and they suggest a new engine. The quoted price now is $29.906.
I still haven't decided if I will keep the car. It is rather unique since it is not a "German import car". It is sold in Sweden by BMW and it was the BMW mannaging director's car at the very beginning. Makes me think it may have been a "tester" or a "loaner" and people test driving an M5 drove, or perhaps beat the car to the limit and now I have the result.
It has all the little extras you need in life ;) and a lot of airbags so it would be a shame to let it go, but on the other hand I can't stop wondering about what will fail next. ouich

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Insurance company decided to put in a new engine. They investigated the possibility to get a new cylinder block and move things over but decided against it since the cause of the problem had not been completely verified. Good news is that I won't get old parts that can cause a new breakdown.
If things work out well, I can have the car back in two weeks. Then the car has been sitting with a broken engine for 7 weeks. :sad2:
The insurance company has initiated a discussion with BMW for a Goodwill Guarantee. I am not sure if it will help. I'll post the result.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
ilundber said:
Insurance company decided to put in a new engine. They investigated the possibility to get a new cylinder block and move things over but decided against it since the cause of the problem had not been completely verified. Good news is that I won't get old parts that can cause a new breakdown.
If things work out well, I can have the car back in two weeks. Then the car has been sitting with a broken engine for 7 weeks. :sad2:
The insurance company has initiated a discussion with BMW for a Goodwill Guarantee. I am not sure if it will help. I'll post the result.

Cheers
I am not sure if the insurance company has YOUR best interests in mind here. If they get BMW to pay a percentage, it may offset the new engine cost instead of going towards your deductible!!!!

I would be pursuing goodwill myself or getting some clarity to make sure BMW offerings go toward the deductible.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
I´m very sorry to hear of this. I do hope it works out.

David

·
Registered
77 Posts
What is the name of the insurance company--I am thinking of getting a national post within post started re engine replacement issues

My Marin county dealer in California told me the crate engine price for an 02 M5 engine is $18,000 plus labor--is that your info?

I bought a higher mileage 02 and drive 30K year--so I am already thinking about a new engine at 150-200K so your email is interesting

what happened?

thanks

I'll keep you posted.
/Cheers[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I just went through the same thing. My contribution was about 33%, although with months of loaner cars it was closer to 25%. To get a new engine for that IMO, is cheap. Count your blessings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts