BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone direct me to a previous thread on proper enging break in procedure for the E39. I think Chris(from the E34 forum) had posted something awhile back, but I cannot find it....Thanks.

------------------

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
What my dealer told me...

0-1000 km:
- Max Engine Speed - 5,500 RPM
- Max Car Speed - 170 km/h
- No Full Throttle
- Vary the Engine's Speed

1000-5000 km:
- Max Engine Speed - Temporary Redline
- Max Constant Car Speed - 220 km/h
- Max Temporary Car Speed - Full Speed

...keep 2-3 quarts of dealer-recommended oil in your trunk, adding only when the oil level warning chimes. Add when the car's cooled down and the oil's in the pan - allowing for accurate measurement.

Follow these guidelines by the book - particularly the first 1000 km - and your Beast will love you. I've gone through 2 quarts in 5300 km and expect consumption to eventually diminish even more (as do all M-Cars).

Alps

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
you have two choices:
1- follow the instructions
2- dont follow them

here is what I was told

before the M5 engines are put in the car, they are run pretty hard on a dyno so each cars chips can be perfectly tailored to get as much out of the engine as possible.

then when the cars are made they are flung around bmws testing facility by their master drivers. this is to make sure the cars are ready for delivery. then the cars are inspected from front to back, top to bottom to be sure everything is right. then they get an oil change. then they are delivered to you and they say to be gentle.

even though I was told this, I pretty much respected the guidelines. once you are past the guidelines drive it as you please.

ME

1 - 3 of 3 Posts