BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone explain

why we need to run the engine in on the M6/M5 ? 3000 miles is a lot and virtually unheard of with Porsche and mercedes for example.
Porsche I have been told run the engines in prior to release,why cannot BMw do this ?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Re: Anyone explain

markf said:
why we need to run the engine in on the M6/M5 ? 3000 miles is a lot and virtually unheard of with Porsche and mercedes for example.
Porsche I have been told run the engines in prior to release,why cannot BMw do this ?

Also Porsche recommends 2000 km. It costs more money to run in the engine before. As I know Ferrari and Porsche are doing, we pay for it grrrrrrr

AM

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
Re: Anyone explain

I think it is worth it to drive it in carefully, you will get it back in performance, comsumptions and in parts.

Only low volume car maufacturers such as Ruf Porsches are driven in from the delivery.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Running in a car is always recommended, not only for exotic cars as BMW M’s, Porsche’s or Ferrari’s. Also mass-produced cars will benefit from a short run-in. A couple of years ago this process was necessary because of bigger tolerances between engine parts. Running in got them all moving in harmony and produced some small metallic splinters. Today production has become much better, with very accurate finish of all the moving parts and in theory running in is no longer required.

Still every engineer will advice you to keep a certain reserve at the start of the life of a car or when a new engine was fitted. The same applies to new moving parts that where fitted to the car. Even with the best quality control there’s still the possibility that some very small metallic residue is left in the engine-sump or gearbox. It is therefore recommended to change the oil and oil-filter of the engine, the gearbox-oil and the oil of the diff after 2 or 3000 miles for the first time. After that you can stick to the maintenance-schedule .
:wroom:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts