BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I guess I am the first... This morning I got a red alert message telling me
that there is an engine failure - reduce speed. The rev counter went down to redline at 4000 rpm. Shortly after I got another warning for transmission failure.

Good thing that I was only 2 minutes away from BMW Service in Solna, Stockholm. The technicians shoke their heads, looked worried and gave me a "looner". Unfortunately I had to speed of for a meeting and could not stay
to get the diagnose. They will call me during the day...

I really hope this is not a "monday" car... :sad3:

//Ekan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
This is one of the reasons I didn't want one of the first cars. You end up having to sort out all the bugs the later cars don't suffer from. It probably won't be anything serious more just an electronic glitch.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Hope it's nothing serious EKAN, keep us posted. Hopefully nothing more than the electronic gremlins acting up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have experienced similar type warnings in my E39, however as most people are saying it turned out to be a software issue, and not mechanical. Lets hope so - good luck. :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Regardless of the car, we all hate when it happens.

I hope they fix your car ASAP and that it's nothing serious.

Just don't let anyone at BMW Solna take your M5 for any test drives!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SUPRA said:
Regardless of the car, we all hate when it happens.

I hope they fix your car ASAP and that it's nothing serious.

Just don't let anyone at BMW Solna take your M5 for any test drives!
16.15 and still no reply from BMW. Actually, when I had the car in for
2000 Km service in Danderyd, I specifically told them NOT to play with the car, despite that they drove 30 kms in extremely high speed... Made me furious! Who can you trust these days... Every M5 owner should be provided a personal technician...

:grrrrr:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Agreed, it is very likely your car was placed into "fail safe" mode. This is simply a protective mode of operation for safety until the technicials can see why the software returned some type of unusual data. Stay positive.........

·
Registered
329 Posts
Bummer! i hope it isnt something big, let's hope it's just software!

I would go mad if i found out that they drove 30km at very high speeds with my car! even when it only had 2000km on the clock and when it's still running in.
To be honest i find it rather bad that they didn't give you a update call yet! you are dying to know what is happening to your baby!

Im glad i never had any problems with my car

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
BMW Danderyd should state in written exactly how they drove the car and back it up, if it was not warm it may (small chance) be a contributing factor.

·
Registered
476 Posts
This scares the heck out of me!!!

Having been through the rod-bearing fiasco with the E46 M3 - I am not interested in this kind of stuff on a $90K car. Having said that, I bet it is nothing. Our Audi S6 trips the check engine light at the drop of a hat.

In terms of the dealer driving the car - I would make sure some heads roll. That is totally unacceptable.grrrrrrr

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Well it had to happen to someone :(

Good luck & keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The E39 M5 was plagued by numerous SES issues, and earlier models (through MY2000) had a fair share of VANOS failures, which were obviously serious.

I hope BMW does better this time, but they've frankly crammed a huge amount of new technology into this beast, and that often makes it more fragile than usual.

Tom

·
Registered
546 Posts
Well I really hope it`s juat a software issue and not mechanical as everyone else has said. I would guess it is, because I think it`s pretty unlikely for the transmission and the engine to give up simultaneously...

All my prayers are with you and your M5 :D

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
My E66 has a bizarre problem with the check engine light. Its entirely software driven, BMW knows its a problem, and they currently cant offer a fix- just to clear it and hope it doesn't pop up- which it does about every 3000 miles! My guess is this is software but it is frustrating. I am sure they will get to the bottom of it. Please let us know.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Re: This scares the heck out of me!!!

stominovich said:
Our Audi S6 trips the check engine light at the drop of a hat.
My Jetta does the same thing. VW AG and all people who are close to them seem to have similar issues. If I heel and toe that car before it is warmed up I have a 10% chance of pulling the CEL. Annoying, especially when people get in my car and I have to explain to them the whole deal, which stems from (I think) the post cat O2 sensor.
Sorry to hear about it going into limp home mode. As said it was an issue with the S62, but it is terrible when it happens on your new baby. Good luck getting it all sorted out.
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts