BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WARNING: Depressing images of a dead loved one. Murdered by careless minivan parking lot driver.

So I was on my way to REI to pick up some camping gear, popped it in second and took a left into the main alley of the parking lot. I was in a great mood, a Sinco De Mayo party in a few hours and a weekend camping on an ocean island. Life couldn't be better... But it could get a whole lot worse.

Being in a good mood, It was the rare occasion i decided to drive like a mere mortal, speeds less than 20, I venture down the lot. I see to my right a minivan coming up the side alley. I pay no mind, I have right of way and I figured she'd stop as they always do. BAM! I'm hit and the car spins 160 degrees and stops. I'm now facing the direction I was coming FROM. It would have been badass had it been my typical "Oh Crap" U-Turn I tend to pull off on first/second dates. Typical, Clutch, gas, pop clutch, release gas into slide, boom 180. No this was "I WAS FRICKEN HIT" in a parking lot of all places.

I turn off the engine, grab my iPhone out of the dock, and forget how to dial a simple 911. The driver of the minivan is now completely in tears, I think some fake crying was involved, nonetheless she may have suffered a concussion from the van's airbag. I freeze my anger, realizing while she is at 100% fault it was no time to say "You just destroyed a $100k car, are you happy?". No, instead I say no words, call 911 after figuring out how to use my phone again.

I'm unusually calm as can be, recite the incident to dispatcher, have ambulance come for person who hit me at a good 25-30 mph, and wait in the burning sun for an hour and a half for the tow truck to come. The insurance paid everything and some change, but hell, If I could do it again I'd have floored it like I always do and been long past the spot where the impact would have occurred. I'd have been at the other side of the lot before she even reached that point. My friends laugh, say "If ya just drove like yourself, the accident never would have happened". I agree, driving slow is dangerous. Never again.

The car was declared a total loss with a rough estimate of an excess of $17,000 in repairs. Both Passenger side airbags were deployed with another scary POP. I can't get another 2003 M5, used auto loans wont go that far back. I'm thinking of a 2007 335i. I autocross a lot... Suggestions for an under $30k car?

:grrrrr:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
:sad3:

Sorry man. You certainly seem to have pretty good spirits and an overall positive attitude considering. I would be devastated.... and only 85k miles :sad2:

GL finding a replacement....

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
unreal man, really sorry to see. the damage is insane for a 20-30 mph side impact!

maybe consider an e46 M3 off of ebay? there are some nice ones that pop up with a quick search

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen to me in my 5 week old BMW 745Li (in 2002 when the car was brand new!). I was driving around the parking lot a chill 15mph on the primary exit road and I saw a car slowly creeping forward from a stop sign and bam! A Mercedes E500 hit my left rear 3/4 pannel. He was driving at such a slow speed that the side airbag didn't even deploy. But like your car the (expensive air) suspension was sheared off, the wheel cracked, the brake rotor toast, tires, body pannels, wheel speed sensor the works! The bill came to $18,000 after a 16 week wait for the parts not including the rental car. I'm glad I wasn't paying and it wasn't my fault.
The car never drove properly after that: the DSC, DTC, ABS, and air suspension all lit up their malfunction lights; the car drove sideway s (bent chasis), uneven tire wear, the steering wheel was 0.5 a turn off center.

I personally like the "tightness" of an M car and altough the 335i is quite "tight" its not quite an M3. That being said it should handle better than your M5. Maybe this could be a good thing, no one was hurt and you can now get a new car.
:typing:

[/quote]

·
Registered
832 Posts
Reading these posts make me so angry. That's one less E39 M5 on the road due to some careless idiot.

At least you're ok and, all the anger aside, the woman in the minivan is ok.

Forgive my ignorance but what happens to the car after all of the insurance stuff is done? There's still a good 3/4 of car there that could be salvaged.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Reading these posts make me so angry. That's one less E39 M5 on the road due to some careless idiot.

Forgive my ignorance but what happens to the car after all of the insurance stuff is done? There's still a good 3/4 of car there that could be salvaged.
:sad2:

Attachments

·
Registered
870 Posts
Your ok and that's what matters. The best autocross car I've ever drove was a 95 e36 M3. GL on your search for you next car:cheers:.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll see about a CU loan. Most major banks only gave me to 2004 and <75k Miles. I never suspect Credit Unions and they tend to have better rates and dont screw customers as much.

·
Registered
2018 F82 M4 Competition in Silverstone Metallic II
3,337 Posts

+1 Buy it back and part that sucker out FTW!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Sad to see another E39 M5 go:sad1:. I absolutely agree driving slow and assuming other drivers are competent is the biggest mistake on the road.

Just last week, I was winding down a side street near my neighborhood. This 1970's Ford boat was going about 15mph in front, so I slowly followed, figuring it was kinda cool a car that's older than me is still rocking on the road. Before I know it, she pulled to a slow stop, then without any chassis judder or reverse lights, started backing up toward me at semi-throttle. Apparently, the moron missed her street, and thought she owned the road. I had about 7 feet distance between her and my front bumper.

I had to pop my newly installed E60 SSK into reverse, punch the throttle to around 2000rpm, and simultaneously dropping the clutch (not dumping it) and hit the horn all in one motion. All this, while I made sure there was no car in my rear view mirror. I dropped back a good 20 feet before she came to her senses and hit the brakes. If I had been stationary or there was another car close behind, there's no doubt my car will be in the shop for a new front end and more by now.

Drive safe, and part what's left. Dibbs on the rear rims!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dude, I'm so sorry for the loss man. I was really hoping to see you out sometime once I got home from working out of state. It's this very scenario that occupies most of my nightmares. I guess this means you'll just have to bring whatever you decide to replace the beast with to cars and coffee. See ya out there!

·
Registered
798 Posts
The car was declared a total loss with a rough estimate of an excess of $17,000 in repairs. Both Passenger side airbags were deployed with another scary POP. I can't get another 2003 M5, used auto loans wont go that far back. I'm thinking of a 2007 335i. I autocross a lot... Suggestions for an under $30k car?
CraigG- sorry for your loss but you are wrong about used car loans not going that far back. Penfed.com has used auto loans that are good for all used cars under 100K miles regardless of model year. So do yourself a favor and get another e39 M5 and don't settle for something less.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts