BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The attached file is a compare of your LMA to mine. Keep in mind my 07 and your 2010 should not match exactly. I see you have all your bulb checks disabled. Have you changed those inner bulbs, or were they changed before your purchase to something other than incandescent type bulb?

The other pertinent difference is the line ABSTELLPOS_SMC. yours in aktiv mine is niche_aktiv.

Perhaps you'll see something that I'm missing pertinent to abbiegexxx (cornering lights). Don't arbitrarily make changes, but thought this might help

Far left column with asterisks is your car, next to it on right with asterisks is mine. Word wrap is not justified so second line of verbiage is a continuation of previous line.

More tomorrow....

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks. I'll check it out when I get home. To answer your question, no, I haven't changed the bulbs.
I just spoke to the service manager at my BMW dealership. I've been taking my 1992 BMWis to him for 20 years so I trust him.

He told me that the inner lights on my car are strickly AEs and that they do not illuminate like they do on older models. The only possibility I have is to use the fog lights, but he is not aware of anyone who has done it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
The inners lights are strictly AE's? Meaning the bulb or the halo ring surrounding the bulb?

And I'm still curious if you coded all the bulb checks nicht_aktiv, or the previous owner did unbeknownst to you

·
Registered
42 Posts
The bulb in the middle is just a daytime running or parking light. The halo is on the outside of the light. As far as the bulb checks, I did not make them not active unless I did so by mistake. I have only been in the lma module to attempt the cornering lights. I strickly followed the instructions in the post.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm not doing a good job of asking the question properly. The inner lights. The bulb not the halo. I know it is the drl. Question is, does it illuminate when drl is activated in iDrive menu?

Regarding the bulb checks being nicht_aktiv. They are in The lma module. That's how I know they've Ben disabled. If u did it, even by mistake, you would remember as its many lines of code. I'm surmising previous owner had the car coded to his/her liking before you touched it. We may need to reset the LMA to factory default.

But the answer to the first question is?

·
Registered
42 Posts
so I went out and checked. The bulb in the inners illuminates whenever the headlights are on. It doesn't seem to matter whether the drl is checked on the idrive. I checked and unchecked it several times and the bulb stays on. does that help?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
That helps big time. So the light is working therefore the cornering lights are likely working, only you can't tell because they are on all the time when the headlights are on. So now the question is (and I think I know the answer), why are those inner filament bulbs (daytime running lights) on all the time even if you de-select it in iDrive.

Be back to you in a few. Need to relook at your file

(Still doesn't answer how your file has all the bulb checks disabled. Im fairly certain someone played around with coding prior to your purchase)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
HOLD ON THID TIL WE SORT THIS OUT 2010 v 2008-2009 MY

Now that I confirmed those inner filament bulbs actually have always worked as AE's (contrary to what the service tech told you)
He told me that the inner lights on my car are strickly AEs and that they do not illuminate like they do on older models.

I took this to mean they served no function at all and never illuminated, which didn't make sense.

That being said, all the coding we did was in fact correct. You could never tell that they doubled as cornering lights as they were always on when your headlights (low beams) were on.

So...

The new attached file (save it as FSW_PSW.MAN all files, to your nscexper/work folder), can be written to your LMA and it will now do the following.

DRL_TFL_SML_33 > aktiv (Will change the DRL's from those inner bulbs to your Halo Angel Eyes when enabled via iDrive. In other words your iDRive lighting menu for DRL's will now control the Halos' vs. those inner bulbs which will allow the inner bulbs to remain off until you turn the steering wheel
PWM_AN_SL_V_AL_1_34 >wert_01 (this will keep the Halos, now your DRL's at full brightness, even at night
ABSTELLPOS_SMC > aktiv (this will turn off the cornering lights, when you return the steering wheel to straight position. Didnt do this earlier until we confirmed those inners did in fact illuminate)
PWM_ANSTEURUNG_FL_34 >wert_02 (maintains brightness of the inners, which now serve as cornering lights only)

Did not touch flash to pass (pull on stalk). That will still be your low beams (outers) at a brighter level
Did not touch the 'no bulb check' on any of your bulbs. Not critical, but you will need to periodically visually view your bulbs around the car that they work as the car will no longer check them. WE can change that, but lets get everything else working.

I think thats it. Give it a try and report back

Remember; after you code this (execute job), Turn the car off, then start the car. Light switch in AUTO, block sensor so headlights (low beams are on), inner lights should no longer be illuminated but Halos should be, turn steering wheel, inner light should illuminate on the direction of turn side, return steering wheel to center, inner lights go off

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
HOLD ON THIS TIL WE SORT THIS OUT:

Additional note. I found this line different than mine. Just in case we need this as the final change after the above file

DRL_TFL_TFL_33
aktiv to nicht_aktiv

Someone definitely manipulated this module before you acquired the car. Only if needed..

DRL_TFL_TFL_33 DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS WITH DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS ENABLED
* aktiv (yours)
* nicht_aktiv (mine)

·
8,376 Posts
Hi Allan, I mentioned this to you.

Same as my 2009 M6. Factory setting: The highbeam bulbs doubles as DRL. The inner bulbs operate on reduced voltage mode lighting up the angel eyes ring when the car is started. And this can be set via iDrive setting.

The low beam headlights doubles as high beam, except when we push or pull the stalk the only thing it does is lift up on the internal "eyebrow" to open up the light beam to light up the entire road.

Summary: on 2009 models on up - I dont think we can code ours to use as cornering lights as the inner bulbs are not really high beam bulbs. The H8 bulbs light are DRL that lights up the angel eye ring.

Strange. I don't remember what function those inner bulbs are used for on a 2010 stock. Clearly the have to serve some function. Maybe a 2010 owner can chime in. That's absolutely why they're not coming on as cornering lights. They're not active at all. Your lat file mirrors mine other than the last flash to pass file. I'll check with some locals. You do same.

·
8,376 Posts
This is true for 2009 MY on up. I have the same exact configuration.

The inner lights (H8 bulbs) are used to light up the angel eye ring which doubles as DRL. They are not high beam.

The low beam doubles as high beam when you pull or push the stalk. it lifts up the eyebrow internal to the low beam bulb to project the light output wide.

I just spoke to the service manager at my BMW dealership. I've been taking my 1992 BMWis to him for 20 years so I trust him.

He told me that the inner lights on my car are strickly AEs and that they do not illuminate like they do on older models. The only possibility I have is to use the fog lights, but he is not aware of anyone who has done it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Thanks Dan. We did however confirm today that a 2010 model with the factory setup you specified can have the inners as cornering lights. The voltage of the inners requires full 12v always, and if what gpdavis confirmed a few threads back, his inners do in fact light independently of the AE rings. Now I'm confused, but we saw it work on a 2010 today.

Can a 2010 be different than an 09?

·
8,376 Posts
Interesting indeed!

Perhaps 2009 and 2010 have different set up from the factory.............

This mod wont be applicable to me anymore as I have high power LED there now (replaced H8 bulb with high power LED) and my LED bulb is always on now to light up the angel eye ring full bright after we recoded the LMA to provide constant 12V to the H8 bulb.

THanks though for the cool mod!

Thanks Dan. We did however confirm today that a 2010 model with the factory setup you specified can have the inners as cornering lights. The voltage of the inners requires full 12v always, and if what gpdavis confirmed a few threads back, his inners do in fact light independently of the AE rings. Now I'm confused, but we saw it work on a 2010 today.

Can a 2010 be different than an 09?

·
Registered
42 Posts
We'll get this sorted out. Now it's a challenge...
Al, I hope I haven't caused the confusion. I may need to post some pictures. If I understand Dan's post, I think my car is configured like his.

When I checked this out last night, it is true that the inner headlights stayed on whether the DRL was checked or unchecked on the idrive. However, I should have said that both the halo ring and the inside bulb were on. I never saw the inner headlight's halo ring operate independently of the inner bulb.

Does that change anything or clear up the confusion?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
GP, I understand now. I'm meeting the member who has a 2010 on Saturday again. His worked yesterday with nothing more than the same coding we've been discussing. I didn't look that closely to see what bulbs came on when turning the wheel, as i was sitting in the drivers seat and he gave me a thumbs uo from outside the car. But each side worked independently, so we were happy and didn't pursue it further.

When we regroup we'll give it a good look. I have a feeling his 2010 may have a factory option for cornering lights. Which means that module previously discussed and a different light setup. That would make sense since we now know an option is available. At least on EU cars. I think he mentioned something about Euro delivery. He may have a Euro build. I've emailed him, and hope to hear back later today.

Will report findings.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
What have they got that I ain't got?... Courage?... :prof:

No, a "Universal Interface Module" Said the Wizard.

- Zerocks1 codes a 2010 to enable cornering lights still thinking inner bulb (H8) will brighten and operate like a pre LCI headlight
- Whatheheck and Gpdavis enlighten zerocks1 how inner filament bulb works
- zerocks1 fails to look at 2010 from outside the vehicle coded with cornering lights and sees, what appear to be cornering lights working after coding
- Member who owns 2010 (who chooses to remain anonymous), gives zerocks1 a thumbs up that cornering lights work while outside the vehicle
- Fast forward to day 2...zerocks1 meets member to do other coding functions and revisits cornering lights
- This time zerocks1 stands outside the car while member turns steering wheel
- Cornering lights illuminate!
- Cornering lights are members Fog Lights!!
- Yes, Fog Lights
- zerocks1 reads members LMA module and all lines are coded correctly from the previous day
- zerocks1 decides to read members VO (Factory Options) and sees $524 (adaptive headlights; normal) and $520?
- $520 turns out to be 'factory ordered cornering lights', which turn out to be adaptive fog lights

It turns out that this car was a European delivery, and has fog lights as do U.S Models, but, has this added VO, AND an additional module called a 'Universal Interface Module'. It plugs into the Light Module. BMW was smart enough during pre delivery (knowing the car was being exported to the U.S.), to disable the fogs as cornering lights. Not sure why, I don't think they're illegal, but perhaps there is a DOT rule about it.

Further investigation finds a retrofit kit (granted its for E90), that has all the parts needed for a car that either does not have fogs at all (it comes with adaptive fogs), or cars that already have fogs, adaptive or non adaptive.

So the good news is, we now know an LCI headlight without an H7 (not H8) bulb and existing fogs, can use fogs as cornering lights.

Although yet unconfirmed, Cornering Lights Retrofit instructions suggest, if you have fogs, the addition of this module, and a few wire swaps, and some coding, an LCI headlight car can have the fogs as cornering lights.

Now the bad news. I cant find a price of the part number listed on the module as a standalone part.

But at least the mystery is solved. (I think)

Thank you Member for allowing me to remove your footwell panels and gander within.

Anyone have the Courage?

Lesson learned; Never AssUMe

Attachments

41 - 60 of 76 Posts