BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Credit for this DIY goes to member JAFF who figured this out when I became stumped. Using both nettodat and NCS settings, Jaff triumphed!

Thank you on behalf of all the other Board members. Great work and excellent intuitive coding.

This is for E63/E64 models.

So what are cornering lights? In EU models, while turning the steering when the headlights are on, either the Fog Light or Inner lights (brights/OEM AE's), will illuminate at full brilliance on the side of the car in conjunction with the direction of turn, thereby lighting up the road. The changes below will allow these cornering lights to remain on for the duration of time that the wheels are turned.

Conditions:
- Light switch in auto position
- Dark enough that headlights are on (you can block the light sensor behind rear view mirror to test)
- Steering wheel turned left or right
- Directionals do not need to be on
- Additional; while reversing and wheels turned, cornering lights enabled
- All speeds (including stationary), other than within 65-70km/hr (40-43 mph), cornering lights will be enabled

This can be modified to require directionals on, reverse gear enable/disable, speed changes to accommodate when you want them to illuminate and when you don't.

The settings below refer to the conditions above

1. Using NCSExpert, read your LM (light module) in the usual way (File size should be approximately 34kb, not 192kb). The 192 kb is the LM partition that holds the VO codes. Read it twice to insure your c:/ncsexper/work/fsw_psw.trc file is approximatley 34kb.
It should start with;

PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_03
not
HELL_OFFSET_DEFAULT
hell_default

2. Modify that file as follows:

V_E_LO_KRV (Cornering lights minimum switch off speed in curves)
wert_01
V_E_HI_KRV (Cornering lights maximum switch off speed in curves)
wert_01
EINLENKEN_RKW (Cornering lights in reverse only when turning)
aktiv
ENTGEGENGES_RKW (Cornering lights in both directions when reversing and turning)
aktiv
PWM_FL_NSW_FKT_ABBLIEGELI (Pulse width modulation control of cornering lights-voltage setting)
wert_01
ALC_SCHWENK_BEI_S_FLC (Cornering ligts enabled with light switch set to automatic)
aktiv
DEF_ABBIEGELICHT_CKM (Default car/key memory for cornering- turns on the fact that any fob you use will enable the cornering lights)
aktiv
UNP_ABBIEGELICHT_CKM (Unpersonalized car/key memory for cornering lights (for use with key fob as well-necessary with above line)
aktiv
ABBIEGELICHT_CKM_0 (car/key memory 1 for cornering lights-enables first fob that is registered with CAS-necessary)
aktiv
ABBIEGELICHT_CKM_1 (same as above for fob #2)
aktiv
ABBIEGELICHT_CKM_2 (same as above for fob #3)
aktiv
ABBIEGELICHT_CKM_3 (same as above for fob #4)

3. Save the file in the usual manner; save as FSW_PSW.MAN (all files). Yes to overwrite
4. Write that new .MAN file in the usual manner to the LMA module
5. Car off; car on, test new cornering lights

I am going to upgrade the H7 high beams (pre-LCI) bulbs to the picture below, so they are as white and bright as my AE's and LED strip AE's

Enjoy everyone, and again cudos to Member JAFF for uncovering this excellent lighting mod.

Thanks Mr. Jaff!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Fantastic Mod Al!
It looks amazing and will really help to keep the E63/64 updated. Thanks for sharing!!
:cheers:
-Milton

·
Registered
568 Posts
Al did mine this afternoon. Zerocks...He Rocks!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Great job Al!! :goldcup:
Seems like you were just telling me about the mod the other day and now you went out and did it. Can't wait to see what it will look like in person with the new bulbs, especially at night.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thank for posting this Al. Upgrading the H7's is a very nice and inexpensive way of upgrading the stock yellows, Making the bulb whiter than blue. I did it for my s1000rr and really like it..

Al what's the next idea we should tackle? Throw me an idea.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Very cool mod, does your right/left Fog Light turn on also? I didn't know if this was addressed since Zerocks doesn't have fogs.
We didn't do the fogs on my car. Al's M6 doesn't have them and since I use the HIDs and they take a few second to come up to brightness, I passed on exploring that one.

The reverse option is pretty cool, as it switches the left and right to light the actual direction the car is moving in.

It works just like my 2012 F10 now. :grinyes:

Give it a shot :typing:

Reactions: zerocks1

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very cool mod, does your right/left Fog Light turn on also? I didn't know if this was addressed since Zerocks doesn't have fogs.
It looks like this line can be manipulated to include fogs by making it nicht_aktiv. My factory default is 'aktiv', meaning 'do not allow fogs with high beams', as I don't have fogs

Someone with fogs needs to test it. Not sure if it allows both fogs and inners to light on turns, although it seems so.

I've attached an NCSDummy file of all available options in the LM2 module

FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ FRONT FOG LIGHTS NOT SIMULTANEOUSLY WITH HIGH BEAMS
nicht_aktiv 00 00 not enabled
aktiv 01 02 enabled

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
It looks like this line can be manipulated to include fogs by making it nicht_aktiv. My factory default is 'aktiv', meaning 'do not allow fogs with high beams', as I don't have fogs

Someone with fogs needs to test it. Not sure if it allows both fogs and inners to light on turns, although it seems so.

I've attached an NCSDummy file of all available options in the LM2 module

FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ FRONT FOG LIGHTS NOT SIMULTANEOUSLY WITH HIGH BEAMS
nicht_aktiv 00 00 not enabled
aktiv 01 02 enabled
I would try it but my car is LM1 and none of the corner light activation coding lines exist. I do have the Fog Light on with High Beams option, I have read on the coding boards that this is an available option for the LM1. But since I never use the fogs it isn't a big deal for me to change that setting.

Looks like it is up to Roseng to try out since he has LM2 and fogs!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would try it but my car is LM1 and none of the corner light activation coding lines exist. I do have the Fog Light on with High Beams option, I have read on the coding boards that this is an available option for the LM1. But since I never use the fogs it isn't a big deal for me to change that setting.

Looks like it is up to Roseng to try out since he has LM2 and fogs!
Guess we'll have to try it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So we tried to enable fogs as cornering lights in addition and/or separately from the high beams as cornering lights.

Short story; fogs as cornering lights require an additional module and an addition of $520 (if not already in VO) to the VO, and then coding the light module

This is a retrofit kit for 'adaptive fog lights'. Although not designed for an E6x, seems it could be adapted

Retrofit kit cornering light BMW 1' E87, 120i (N46)

If you already have fogs, it looks pretty easy without the need to add a VO ($520), as you'd already have it

So if you have fogs and want them to be cornering lights, with or without the high beams acting as corners as well. Here's the retrofit instructions

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Zerocks1, I tried to enable the cornering lights, but no go. Tried it 3 times and can't get it to operate like the video. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions in your post. I tried it with and with out the directional signals on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Enabling cornering lights

This is the .man file that I executed. Strange thing is that the TRC file is not the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It appears you inadvertently added wert_01 to the following lines, but did not delete what was their originally

as you posted:
V_E_LO_KRV
wert_01
wert_02
wert_03
wert_05
wert_06
wert_08

fixed:
V_E_LO_KRV
wert_01

and

as you posted:
V_E_HI_KRV
wert_01
wert_02
wert_03
wert_05
wert_06
wert_08

fixed:
wert_01

Try now. Save the attachment as FSW_PSW.MAN (all files) to you ncsexper/work folder, then write with the usual procedure. Everything else looks good in the file.

The reason the trc and man are different in your work folder is because the trc is the file you read before you changed it. The man file is the save as, with your changes. Additionally, when you write to the CAS or LMA modules, it generates a full trc the first time you write to that module which is likely the full partition of approximately 192kb. You can ignore the differences. Whats important is the man file you changed

It should work now

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Remember to block your light sensor and to have the light switch on auto too.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts