BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an empty switch slot next to the fog light switch. Does anyone know what this slot is for? I want to move my tire pressure switch to that location. However, the tire pressure switch is smaller than the empty slot. The tire pressure switch looks out of place in the factory location. I was hoping to buy a switch for the empty slot and rewire the tire pressure switch to it. Wondering if this is possible.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm going to use the empty spot for a switch for other gadgets.

You can see the wire harness from this hole so it should be easy to re-route that wire up to that spot.

Might I suggest you use a blade, drill or dremel to carefully route a hold out of that "blank hole cover" to mount the tire switch into?

You can buy replacement "blank hole covers" from your friendly BMW parts department for only a few dollars. Wise for if you slip while cutting. ouich Also good if you want to go back to the way it was before.

My question to you is... what do you plan to do with the hole you create in the lower panel after removing the button?

Paul

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The blank plate is there because all instrument binnacles on E39 5 series cars are the same. On the lesser (non-M) models, there is a rotary switch in that position which controls the dip angle for the headlights. Since the M5 has auto-levelling lights, this is redundant and not used on our cars.

I would not recommend relocating the tpc switch. You can, use that space for a number of aftermarket switches. I have my Lidatek jammer switch installed there - here is a photo:

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=1553558&outx=600&oq=0

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I have my Lidatek jammer switch installed there - here is a photo:

... That's similar to what I'm planning to use that space for, however I have found a semi-flush all-black plastic switch to use that will blend with the other panel switches... I'll try to post some pics when my project is done.

Oh, and by the way, you can use the tire pressure push-button as a momentary-contact button for any other device that requries a momentary contact (especially since we rarely have to use that button anyway). I plan to use a wire connector from a computer motherboard, one that usually connects the red & black speaker wire to the mobo (two pins) - it will plug right into the back of the tire pressure switch - the third pin on the switch is simply for 12v to light up the little tire icon at night. I left that pin open, no need to light up the tire icon, especially while the switch doesn't perform its usual function!

(leave the wire harness in the hole for periodic hook-up and usage as necessary when changing tire pressures).

Paul

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
pkarmouche said:
Might I suggest you use a blade, drill or dremel to carefully route a hold out of that "blank hole cover" to mount the tire switch into?

My question to you is... what do you plan to do with the hole you create in the lower panel after removing the button?
You are a genius:cheers: I have a spare center panel wood trim without a tire pressure hole.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If it helps anyone - I have also spyed out a location to install gadget switches... In the blank panel to the left of the useless cupholders.

If you remove the front cupholders you will see that there is an opening leading under the dashboard at the upper part of that blank panel. This is a good location because if you make a mistake, or want to "uninstall" your switch(es) then you can simply replace the front cupholders and you're back to stock...

Paul

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have the V1 remote volume/power control knob from Beastpower (AI Designs custom I believe) in that spot and I love it. Very subtle and exact color as the rest of the dash.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Do you have any pic 's of it,

Regards,

Marion

AmirBimmer said:
I have the V1 remote volume/power control knob from Beastpower (AI Designs custom I believe) in that spot and I love it. Very subtle and exact color as the rest of the dash.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mvious said:
Do you have any pic 's of it,

Regards,

Marion
Here you go. It goes great with the hardwired V1 in the upper right of the windshield and the V1 mirror from Beastpower as well.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
AmirBimmer said:
Here you go. It goes great with the hardwired V1 in the upper right of the windshield and the V1 mirror from Beastpower as well.

Very cool indeed. Where is the main unit mounted on the windshield?

Mark

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
AmirBimmer said:
Here you go....
Now, could you zoom out so we can get a good look at the carbon fiber?! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I would not recommend relocating the tpc switch. You can, use that space for a number of aftermarket switches. I have my Lidatek jammer switch installed there - here is a photo:

Me too, accept my disarming switch is hidden in the storage bin under the center arm rest. Thank you Ashok (originaly, I think?) and M5board, as always, for this idea.

Derek

·
Registered
272 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Now, could you zoom out so we can get a good look at the carbon fiber?! :thumbsup:
I'll snap some more pics when I get home tonight.

MAH said:
Very cool indeed. Where is the main unit mounted on the windshield?

Mark
At the very top right of the windshield, I'll take some pics of that as well.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pkarmouche said:

You can buy replacement "blank hole covers" from your friendly BMW parts department for only a few dollars. Wise for if you slip while cutting. ouich Also good if you want to go back to the way it was before.

Paul
I hated it when the flow on the wood trim was broken with the tire pressure switch. I finally got around to using the dremel to mill out a hole on the blank switch cover for the tire pressure switch. The blank switch was a little larger than the tire pressure switch so I had to mill out the switch face from the tire pressure switch and the super glued it to the blank switch. Works great.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts