BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the EML light on the dashboard means, what causes it and what cures it?

Pip

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Is that on an e34 M5?

I though EML was something to do with electronic throttle - which the e34 M5 didn't have (unless it is something to do with cruise control?)!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I am afraid to say it is indeed on an E34 M5.

Everything mechanically wise seems fine. I saw a previous post on this that did not really provide any answers although there was some similarity in the fact that I recently left the car unused for a while and had to replace the battery.

Anyone....anyone....?

Pip :confused2

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
It certainly is on the cluster of an E34 M5 (refer to the pic of a part of an E34 M5 cluster below).

But I too, am unable to shed any light on what it is there for.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
Well i know it means electronic motor leistung but i don't now what causes it.A couple of years ago i had a 750 and it went on quite often.Power was gone then but when turning the ignition off and on again the light was out and the power back.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I `m not 100% sure the E34 needs this light. Most M5s don`t have a bulb in the "check engine" light either, the electronics aren`t there if I understand correctly.

The EML as I understand it is an electronic control that replaces the conventional mechanical throttle cable with an electric motor. I think is comes on seven and eight series cars. It is normally linked into the traction control system so the computer can back off the throttle if required.

See http://www.e31.net/gangschaltung_e.html

Hope this information I have given is accurate and helps.

Ivan.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
IvanDias said:
I `m not 100% sure the E34 needs this light. Most M5s don`t have a bulb in the "check engine" light either, the electronics aren`t there if I understand correctly.

The EML as I understand it is an electronic control that replaces the conventional mechanical throttle cable with an electric motor. I think is comes on seven and eight series cars. It is normally linked into the traction control system so the computer can back off the throttle if required.

See http://www.e31.net/gangschaltung_e.html

Hope this information I have given is accurate and helps.

Ivan.
Which is what I said! Doesn't anyone trust the word of a scouser :hihi:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
I'd trust you if you said "i know where i can get some alloy wheels cheap"......

hiha
Aey! Calm down. Calm down.

We don`t want any north south animosity do we, our lad. Umm... anyroad.

LOL ;)

My god this is offtopic!

Ivan.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
Wrong side of the Pennines, wack, lar, muckah!
Sorry, I don`t understand. North of the M3. End of. What has left and right got to do with anything????
Besides, once you go thermonuclear, accuracy don`t matter!

My 535i M30 doesn`t have an electronic throttle, it`s a cable. Do you mean the 535i V8 engined cars? I would have thought quite likely BMW would have added a fly-by-wire throttle by then.

Ivan.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thankyou very much Ivan and of course the Scouser Mmm-Five, (even if you are a northerner hiha ). I have just had a splash of inspiration and remembered that I did replace some of the bulbs in the dash aroundabout the time the light appeared. Not paying too much attention to which ones I put in, I filled any empty slots too.

So the answer to what causes the light to come on is that the pseudo mechanic playing with things he knows nothing about is a 'contributing factor'.

Pip

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I have spent some more time playing and have found that the light is not one that has a replaceable bulb. It is an integral part of the display.

I am flumoxed as to how to remedy the light???? Surely someone else out there has had a similar problem?

Will it drain the battery if left does anyone know?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pip :confused3 :confused3

1 - 14 of 14 Posts