BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked the car up from the trimmers after its interior re-fit (pics to follow on another thread) and the EML light in the centre of the instrument binnacle is permanently on (even with the ignition off and the key out!)

Apparently the battery went flat while it was there and needed to be recharged but apart from that the car hasn't moved and has only had work done to the interior.

The car runs perfectly, no issues idling, part load or WOT. Fuel consumption is normal.

The car does not even have EML (only fitted to M60 I think, not S38) so what gives? I did a search and it seems some members have had this problem as well, usually after a battery problem but no solutions that I could find.

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi, this problem may just clear if you switch off the engine, lock the car, unlock the car and then start it again. My bt had a flat battery while being painted and the eml light stayed on just like yours but the engine did run badly. Driving down the road did not clear it but the procedure above did and it ran perfectly afterwards.

MIKE.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Mike, tried that several times and still no joy :sad1:

I'm hoping that a night in the garage will magically cure it. If not I'll have to get a diagnostic check and see if a fault code reset will help.

On the plus side the interior is beautiful lovelovelovelovelovelovelovelove

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Disconnected the battery overnight, light still on :grrrr:, Took the car for a 50mile drive, light still on :grrrr:

Will have to plug it in for fault diagnosis/clearing.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Haven't tried it yet but does the peake code reader work on these? I did mention i had the e34 when I bought mine but haven't used it yet on the e34. You are welcome to come and have a use of mine Dan:byebye:

Reactions: Dan Kelly

·
Registered
132 Posts
Fairly common internal cluster fault on cars that legitimately aren't equipped with EML. Never seen one with a fault code set in the cluster, undiagnosable by a DIS because there's no EML computer (which monitors the bulbs). The bulbs are switched to ground, for some reason (never investigated it), a failure mode for the cluster is for that ground to be made. EML stays lit all the time. It's not coming through the wire harness as cars without EML lack the pins in the harness connectors for the bulbs. There are some fixes floating around the web, I've always just removed the bulbs, don't need them on any E34 M5 anyway...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Hi Dan

Did you manage to get a resolve on this?

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Dan
If the problem continues, bring her up & I will stick the data logger on her.
It works on EOBD1 cars well but with a small data lag between the fields.
Any faults with emission based components will flag outside the target tolerance.

Take care

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update,

I've put the car on charge for the last couple of days and when I went into the garage this morning the light was off. A mystery. ??????

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Batteries can play foul on electricsgrrrrrrr

Let's hope that's sorted:byee55amg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts