BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Emergency! can't enter my beast :(

1479 Views 6 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Poyan
Okay here's the stupid deal, I had the car put away for the winter and i had battery drainage during this period. Today i went to charge the battery at the local gas station.

I opened just the rear lid with the key-buttons, not all the doors. I removed the battery and all the cables and closed the lid. Now you all go UH-UH! DUH! ... and yeah i did the same afterwards. No doors and the lid wont open with the keys and now i cant get into my car to put in the battery. And i cant figure out how i put the battery cables when i removed the battery so i dont wanna risk to boot it up with another cars battery incase they are touching the car if you know what i mean.

You guys have any idea or any advice what i can do? is the best and cheapest solution to tow it away to nearest bmw dealer?

please help out a fellow beast-owner:)
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
13,187 Posts
Okay here's the stupid deal, I had the car put away for the winter and i had battery drainage during this period. Today i went to charge the battery at the local gas station.

I opened just the rear lid with the key-buttons, not all the doors. I removed the battery and all the cables and closed the lid. Now you all go UH-UH! DUH! ... and yeah i did the same afterwards. No doors and the lid wont open with the keys and now i cant get into my car to put in the battery. And i cant figure out how i put the battery cables when i removed the battery so i dont wanna risk to boot it up with another cars battery incase they are touching the car if you know what i mean.

You guys have any idea or any advice what i can do? is the best and cheapest solution to tow it away to nearest bmw dealer?

please help out a fellow beast-owner:)
If you have keys, you should be ok. You have to turn past what feels like the stop when you open with the key. I think counterclockwise(CCW), but I am not sure which way since I use the remote. My recollection is you have to turn an extra 90 degrees

Turned an extra 90 degrees the other way, you should get the trunk lockout.

This has been discussed here before, you can also try the search feature, perhaps something like 'locked out" will help.
Regards,
Jerry

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have keys, you should be ok. You have to turn past what feels like the stop when you open with the key. I think counterclockwise(CCW), but I am not sure which way since I use the remote. My recollection is you have to turn an extra 90 degrees

Turned an extra 90 degrees the other way, you should get the trunk lockout.

This has been discussed here before, you can also try the search feature, perhaps something like 'locked out" will help.
Regards,
Jerry
so you mean the locks should work even tho i dont even have the battery connected to my car? because the battery is at the local gas station for a re-charge....so the car has NO power source what so ever...

· Registered
13,187 Posts
so you mean the locks should work even tho i dont even have the battery connected to my car? because the battery is at the local gas station for a re-charge....so the car has NO power source what so ever...
Right, the locks are mechanical, they don't need battery power. Same as the car door locks, it should work fine with the key, even with no battery in the car.

Try that first if it makes you feel better, lock and unlock with the key.
Of course, it should only work that one door, since there is no battery power to work the electric door locks.

Not sure if the cables touching in the trunk matter, but you can jump the car from under the hood. There is a "+" terminal, negative ground to the car itself. Of course, if the cables are NOT touching, I am not sure if the current will complete the circuit without the trunk cables touching. Someone else may be able to answer that question.
Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: Poyan

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, the locks are mechanical, they don't need battery power. Same as the car door locks, it should work fine with the key, even with no battery in the car.

Try that first if it makes you feel better, lock and unlock with the key.
Of course, it should only work that one door, since there is no battery power to work the electric door locks.

Not sure if the cables touching in the trunk matter, but you can jump the car from under the hood. There is a "+" terminal, negative ground to the car itself. Of course, if the cables are NOT touching, I am not sure if the current will complete the circuit without the trunk cables touching. Someone else may be able to answer that question.
Regards,
Jerry
I have tried turning the keys and tried the emergency opening method but nothing reacts when i turn the keys in either locks, which are the trunk lock and the riders door lock. Can it be because the weather has been cold and its not working correctly? could perhaps work if i shoved in some oil in the locks? its not frozen tho but the weather has been + and - alot so...

i guess im **** out of luck if the locks wont open with the keys and all i can do is give it a shot trying to jump it?

· Registered
2,120 Posts
I have tried turning the keys and tried the emergency opening method but nothing reacts when i turn the keys in either locks, which are the trunk lock and the riders door lock. Can it be because the weather has been cold and its not working correctly? could perhaps work if i shoved in some oil in the locks? its not frozen tho but the weather has been + and - alot so...

i guess im **** out of luck if the locks wont open with the keys and all i can do is give it a shot trying to jump it?
If the battery is at the gas station, jumping the car doesn't do anything.
If the cables are loose and possibly touching, that could be an issue but probably no worse than sending all remaining capacitance to ground.

I am not familiar with the emergency unlock procedure but assume it works in the trunk and drivers door. I don't know why it wouldn't work. If the lock cylinder can be rotated freely, its not frozen. Sliding the key in and out a few times should loosen the tumblers as well. I'd then try turning past the stop a bit harder but not to the point of breaking the key or the plastic tab off.

Reactions: Poyan

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay first off, ill be damned... i opened the trunk lid with the keys... the guy from BMW emergency center told me to turn it RIGHT, but it was left and i had tried left earlier today but nothing happened but because of the weather and all the locks were a little frozena nd stiff, so i turned extra hard and greased up the lock so it turned max to the left and i got the trunk open...SHOOOOOOOOOH! im so friggin happy cuz im going to nurburgring in april and i dont want all this extra cost on my hands :), thanks for the help everyone...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.