BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got back from India earlier this week and the car hadn't been driven for a few weeks. On the first day back I hear a nasty metallic rattle on rough roads so I call the dealer to arrange an urgent repair. It sounded like it was coming from the steering column so I was quite worried.

Yesterday it happened as I got into the car and the engine wasn't even switched on. Very odd I thought, until I found out what was causing the rattle - the retaining clip for the fire extinguisher had popped open.

I closed the clip and the rattle was gone. Boy did I feel stupid when I called the dealer to explain why I had to cancel the booking?! ouich

·
Registered
255 Posts
y do u have a fire extinguisher btw in ur car? Last time, i was carrying one in my car and didnt know the pin was missing. I make a turn, the fire extinguisher fell and "poff", the powder came out and it was all over my car. took me a while to clean it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Because we all know that the M5 can catch on fire any any momeny :D
I know a fire extinguisher can come very handy in certain situations. But the way I look at it is if my beast catches on fire i'd just let it burn and have the insurance total the car. The last thing I want is have the insurance company try to repair my slighly burned car.

Rocket M5 said:
y do u have a fire extinguisher btw in ur car? Last time, i was carrying one in my car and didnt know the pin was missing. I make a turn, the fire extinguisher fell and "poff", the powder came out and it was all over my car. took me a while to clean it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Boy did I feel stupid when I called the dealer to explain why I had to cancel the booking?! ouich
I know EXACTLY how you feel. Why? I did the same thing. I had this weird buzzing vibration in the front of the car. Couldn't tell where it was coming from. So I scheduled an appointment for the following week. I cancelled the appointment on the way there... because I discovered it was my Fire Extinguisher. Doh!!!
ouich

Humility is very important.

·
10,455 Posts
louv said:
I know EXACTLY how you feel. Why? I did the same thing. I had this weird buzzing vibration in the front of the car. Couldn't tell where it was coming from. So I scheduled an appointment for the following week. I cancelled the appointment on the way there... because I discovered it was my Fire Extinguisher. Doh!!!
ouich

Humility is very important.
I better check my fire extinguisher!
I also have a rattling, but i think it's my first aid kit.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I've had the exact same problem, but I found what it was before I made an appointment at the dealer. I totally understand your embarrassment Ashok. ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just curious to know why you guys have a Fire Extinguisher in your beast. Also where did you guys mount it at?

Regards,

Marion

·
10,455 Posts
Mvious said:
Just curious to know why you guys have a Fire Extinguisher in your beast. Also where did you guys mount it at?Regards,

Marion

The factory bmw fire extinguisher mounts to a bracket on the lower front edge of the drivers seat. Same location as the first aid kit doesn on the passenger set. Why? It's recommended for drivers schools, and it just seems like a good idea, just in case... I remember a story of a board member driving to the monterey historics a few years ago who had a powersteering hose rupture (due to contact with headers) and start fire. The fire extinguisher very likely saved that car.
Mike

Here's a pic i had posted a while a go when i installed my alcantara shift and ebrake boots, you can see the fire extinguisher at the front edge of my seat.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ashok, I am sure you won't get teased about this at the meeting on Sunday..........:haha:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts