BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some discussion here about carrying dogs in the backseat of the M5 without ruining the leather upholstery. I thought it might be helpful to post some photos of the universal protective rear cover (BMW part #52 30 0 002 704) that I recently installed. My Rhodesian ridgeback (Ellie) was the test subject for these photographs!

You can see that the cover includes a flap that protects the side of the seat when the dog enters the car.

Once the dog is loaded, the same flap folds up and attaches to the rest of the cover with velcro strips so that the leather on the doors is protected.

And the side flap folds down again to protect the seat while the dog exits the car!

Now my best friend and I can ride together in the M5, even to the beach and back, without fear of soiling the leather seats! The protective cover is not waterproof but should handle sand and mud just fine.

Mike

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The BMW protector is vinyl, BLACK only. I thought it may get too hot here in the South for my Samoyed -- plus he is white. Instead, I bought the washable pooch pad which I have had since 2002, and no damage, certainly less than if I had kids. The BMW protector cost much more than the $65 I paid. I can also take the pooch pad out very quickly for people to sit in the rear seat (lossen 4 straps over 4 headrests). The BMW product looks more time consuming to remove.

(Picture is a sales picture -- not my dog)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Mike,

Awesome! I love to see people using their M5's for everything, not just Sunday afternoon drives.

By the way, I was at the Portland Auto Show two weeks ago and talked to some of the familiar faces of Ron Tonkin Ferrari at their exibit. They recognized me, and asked why you didn't buy the Oxford M5. I politely said that you had found a car that suited your needs better. But, I wanted to say "Well, he found a prettier, faster, and better mainted one for a similar price!"

Take care,

Travis

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
M5Kid said:
Mike,

Awesome! I love to see people using their M5's for everything, not just Sunday afternoon drives.

By the way, I was at the Portland Auto Show two weeks ago and talked to some of the familiar faces of Ron Tonkin Ferrari at their exibit. They recognized me, and asked why you didn't buy the Oxford M5. I politely said that you had found a car that suited your needs better. But, I wanted to say "Well, he found a prettier, faster, and better mainted one for a similar price!"

Take care,

Travis
Travis: Thanks for your note. My Dinan M5 came west from Atlanta to Los Angeles last month via Reliable Carriers, and then up to Monterey on the truck right in front of Arnold Schwarzenegger's Hydrogen Hummer! The Hummer was bound for the Portland Auto Show. You must have seen it there. Wish I could have been there, too.

Thanks again for all your help in finding my M5. I'll be those guys at Ron Tonkin didn't have too much trouble selling that nice Oxford Green car that you looked at on my behalf.

Mike

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Mike,

Yep, I saw the Hummer, pretty interesting!

They told me the Oxford M5 had been sold, which doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't have bought that particular car unless the wheels were replaced along with the broken cupholder. Or, a price drop was given that would equate to costs of new wheels and cupholer. Other than that it was a nice car, but you made the right choice, no question.

Travis

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
M5Kid said:
......Awesome! I love to see people using their M5's for everything, not just Sunday afternoon drives.

Take care,

Travis
Last year during a three day driver's ed at Watkins Glen with several Porsche buddies, I decided to track my M5 instead of my Porsches, I also graciously offered my M5 as support and transport vehicle too, two set of track wheels and tires AND three tool boxes delivered without a hitch, then unloaded and ran 1:20ish laps. :M5launch:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
On a related note, here is a photo of the "official BMW dog seat belt":

This is designed for dogs in the weight range 7-40kgs (15-88lbs)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts