BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently purchased the ELK audio amp as per some advice from this board (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1281206). I have hooked up all the wires, but now I get no sound what so ever!

As per the instructions I disconnected pins 37/38 (Black/yellow), cut the ends off and plugged them into the "INPUT" bit of the amp. I then used the two brown cables supplied, plugging the first output into pin 37, and the second output for the "SPEAKER" into pin 38 of the 54 pin connector.

I also found the compensator power, and as again per the instructions I snapped the white/yellow wire and the brown/black wire and plugged them into the power for the amp. (http://www.bimmernav.com/amp.html)

I have looked at the post over at (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110254&highlight=bluetooth)
but it seems I have followed the same steps?

The bluetooth system initiates and recognizes my phone, syncs the phonebook etc. When I come to make a call, the green light comes on as it should and the radio mutes but I cant hear anything! I can hear the call fine if I 'transfer' the call back to my phones's speaker, with the radio coming on again...

What have I done? Help! :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
You have the audio wires flip/flopped. Speaker is to the DB25 connector. Input is FROM the 54 pin connector. plus turn the volume WAY down. You don't want more than about 20% volume from that thing

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, I will give it a go tomorrow! I turned the volume up so high more out of frustration with it not working.. :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have the audio wires flip/flopped. Speaker is to the DB25 connector. Input is FROM the 54 pin connector. plus turn the volume WAY down. You don't want more than about 20% volume from that thing
Worked like a charm, Genius!

·
Registered
151 Posts
what's the benefit of the ELK Audio Amp?

·
Registered
553 Posts
what's the benefit of the ELK Audio Amp?
older e39s or e39s without dsp have the telephone wire harness setup such that the telphone speaker signal only goes to the midrange speaker in the driver's door, unamplified. This makes it hard to hear the person yo uare talking to without crawling down into the footwell and at highway speed forget it, no chance of hearing it over even slight road noise.

So this is a simple low cost solution. Newer E39s or even older ones with DSP wiring, have the telephone speaker dignal wired through the cars amplifier and then sent to all the speakers, so you can hear it fine.

Reactions: Gamite

·
Registered
553 Posts
Worked like a charm, Genius!
by the way, after looking at your wiring photos, I would recommend twisting each pair of signal wire to minimize noise, especially before the input to the amp.

Reactions: ard

·
Registered
683 Posts
older e39s or e39s without dsp have the telephone wire harness setup such that the telphone speaker signal only goes to the midrange speaker in the driver's door, unamplified. This makes it hard to hear the person yo uare talking to without crawling down into the footwell and at highway speed forget it, no chance of hearing it over even slight road noise.

So this is a simple low cost solution. Newer E39s or even older ones with DSP wiring, have the telephone speaker dignal wired through the cars amplifier and then sent to all the speakers, so you can hear it fine.
on my 03 with M-Audio I had volume issues with newer BT ULFs. Using the first gen ULF, it addressed the volume issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Could one of the mods add this to the FAQ for the E39 M5? This is the first logical explanation I have found as to why it didn't work properly intiially. I think it would be extremely useful for those who are considering the bluetooth retrofit!

Good insight mate!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Could one of the mods add this to the FAQ for the E39 M5? This is the first logical explanation I have found as to why it didn't work properly intiially. I think it would be extremely useful for those who are considering the bluetooth retrofit!

Good insight mate!
Good info, however not entirely accurate as a number of us with '03 M5s have had the low volume issue too. I've yet to hear any explanation for this similar to above. It seems to be random with no link to M-audio or not, no link to newer/older ULF modules etc.

In short, however, the ELK-800 amp worked perfectly!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Good info, however not entirely accurate as a number of us with '03 M5s have had the low volume issue too. I've yet to hear any explanation for this similar to above. It seems to be random with no link to M-audio or not, no link to newer/older ULF modules etc.
Yes, there is a software issue somewhere, too, depending on the phone used. I have a late generation BT unit from Bimmernav that works perfectly with Moto Razrs but on my Blackjack, outgoing calls result in low volume of the person speaking on the other end. Oddly, when they call in to me, I can hear them fine. There is a limiter somewhere that's keeping the volume from being fully amplified, so one cure is to install this amp.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you are having problems hearing the other caller, before trying the amp install, make sure that you have tried the following 1st:

1) during a call increase the volume with the car controls
2) durning a call increase the volume with the phone controls
3) make sure the phone does not have a speacial volume setting for bluetooth calls. some blackberry phones have this.
4) using voice command "volume up" a number of times
5) go into the radio service mode by turning radio off then on and pressing and holding select (or m without nav) for 12 seconds. then adjust TP volume and GAL to increase volume.

If all else fails, you are in need of the amp. :deal:

·
Registered
553 Posts

In short, however, the ELK-800 amp worked perfectly!
Some phones have specail BT volume settings and others (such as the blackjack) set the phone volume to 1/2 during a bluetooth call. On the BJ2 you can change this, but I never figured it out on my old BJ1.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I remember before I installed the amp, the volume controls were useless in a bluetooth call. I would have thought despite the low volume, I would be able to at least mute or control that....the amp solved all that though!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I remember before I installed the amp, the volume controls were useless in a bluetooth call. I would have thought despite the low volume, I would be able to at least mute or control that....the amp solved all that though!
good to hear :cheers:

·
Registered
273 Posts
on my 03 with M-Audio I had volume issues with newer BT ULFs. Using the first gen ULF, it addressed the volume issue.

For all the failings of the 1st gen, it outperformed my 13th gen in the volume dept. Paired with the same iPhone 3G-S in the same car, the 1st gen had much better volume. I wonder if by opening up the bluetooth module and replacing some resistors in the amplifier circuit I could get more gain? Anyone ever do this?

Also, how do you decline an incoming call using the bluetooth?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts