BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenario: You've been shopping around for a pre-owned M5, and find just the one you've been looking for... all is perfect EXCEPT the previous owner was a smoker. Do you walk away?

I almost did, and would have regretted it. Despite the grim assertions on various internet sites that once a car is tainted with cigarette smoke, it is hopeless to deodorize the car, I can say that this is not the case. In my situation, the previous owner was a cigar smoker. The car had a distinct tobacco smell. The car dealer changed the filters, had the car detailed, and the interior 'dry-cleaned'. But of course this ain't gonna do it. I decided the car was too perfect (I was looking for Royal Red/black..kinda hard to find) to pass up and that the cigar smell was just not gonna stop me.

When I brought the car home, I set up a box fan in the back seat and let it run it full blast through the interior all night, all windows open of course. Every so often I would give a few sprays of Ozium into the back of the fan. Ozium is a 'hospital-grade' deodorizer that supposedly interacts with odor particles to neutralize their smell. I'm a PhD biochemist but didn't bother to try and understand the potential molecular mechanisms behind the product label claim... the stuff is cheap and it was worth a try. And powerful... a couple of squirts and the whole garage quickly smells 'sanitized'.

So anyway, after about two weeks of this treatment, the car interior now smells fine... very neutral smelling, no hint of cigar smell. One of the women in my life with a very sensitive nose can no longer detect cigar odor. :15: I'll probably continue the treatments for a while longer just to be sure, including running the air circulation system. There are probably other deodorizing products out there that are just as effective as Ozium.. this was the first one I tried. And if some other type of odorous calamity should befall your M5 interior, probably no need to despair... :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
wilsodh said:
Scenario: You've been shopping around for a pre-owned M5, and find just the one you've been looking for... all is perfect EXCEPT the previous owner was a smoker. Do you walk away?

I almost did, and would have regretted it. Despite the grim assertions on various internet sites that once a car is tainted with cigarette smoke, it is hopeless to deodorize the car, I can say that this is not the case. In my situation, the previous owner was a cigar smoker. The car had a distinct tobacco smell. The car dealer changed the filters, had the car detailed, and the interior 'dry-cleaned'. But of course this ain't gonna do it. I decided the car was too perfect (I was looking for Royal Red/black..kinda hard to find) to pass up and that the cigar smell was just not gonna stop me.

When I brought the car home, I set up a box fan in the back seat and let it run it full blast through the interior all night, all windows open of course. Every so often I would give a few sprays of Ozium into the back of the fan. Ozium is a 'hospital-grade' deodorizer that supposedly interacts with odor particles to neutralize their smell. I'm a PhD biochemist but didn't bother to try and understand the potential molecular mechanisms behind the product label claim... the stuff is cheap and it was worth a try. And powerful... a couple of squirts and the whole garage quickly smells 'sanitized'.

So anyway, after about two weeks of this treatment, the car interior now smells fine... very neutral smelling, no hint of cigar smell. One of the women in my life with a very sensitive nose can no longer detect cigar odor. :15: I'll probably continue the treatments for a while longer just to be sure, including running the air circulation system. There are probably other deodorizing products out there that are just as effective as Ozium.. this was the first one I tried. And if some other type of odorous calamity should befall your M5 interior, probably no need to despair... :)
Good to know
Boz

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Glad to hear you got the tobacco odor out. I smoke cigarettes in my Jetta, and really the trick to keeping the car odor free is the manner in which you smoke. If people leave ash all over the car, fill the tray up with butts, or smoke with the windows up it is really hard to get the smell out. If someone smoked but didnt make a royal mess of the inside of the car, and made sure most of the smoke went out a window quickly, then you are in good shape. If you turn the air vents on with the filters out and then spray a little ozium in the intake, I doubt you will ever get a hint of it again, even on hot days.
Glad it all worked out for you!
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I think the real test will be when it rains.
I bought one of those ionic breeze car units...just because I wanted to clear out the prev. owner smell and introduce my own - the good ol' vanilla-roma air freshner :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts