BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question that I need loads of help with, since the info never seems complete.

Using stock connectors with simple adapters, I am trying to have a CD changer, Ipod and XM radio. The only caveat that I have is that I want it all to be controlled by the standard OEM equipment and show on the nav screen.

I have a BM53 radio. CD changer is optional.

So, I figured:

CD Harness - IntraveeII - KCA-420i - Ipod would be the logical connection given its functionality with the Nav unit.

Does the KCA-420i allow for the attachment of the XM Radio also? Or can I use the XM Direct2 with the XMDAlpine connector? Will that show on the Nav unit? Supposedly it hooks in where the Sirius system does (I dont know how this works)

Also, what can you connect with the Aux adapter?

I can't seem to find any good pictures of where everything attaches, so I turn to you.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
You lost me a bit. Do you want a CD and an IPod, or do you want just an Ipod? If just an Ipod, why are you using an Intravee AND an Ipod adapter?

In any case, CD OR Ipod w/ factory integration - your choice.

Aux input is an attachment to the wiring harness behind your dashboard. Available after 9/2002, or basically in the 2003MY only.

Next question please :)

d-

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you D, I will attempt to be more clear, but I dont understand this very well.

I would like the following:

1. Full Ipod integration with playlists, etc. and shows up on my Nav Screen (the InterveeII with the KCA-420i covers this, and allows me to connect my CD changer)

2. I would like to have XM Radio - again with the full integration on the Nav system. The only thing that I can find to do this, and its completely vague on its abilities, is the XM Direct 2. Anyway the point is I would like to be able to see the channel number, name, artist and song on the Nav Screen.

3. Is it possible to get traffic data in the US. Pioneer makes a nav ready unit that does XM and Traffic, but is uses IP-Bus technology (I am not familiar with all this bus stuff) and I am not sure it would integrate with our system.

4. The only reason I was asking about the aux adapter is I was thinking of how to get a single CD in the cockpit of the car, and I figured I could use a portable unit and just plug it in the jack.

As you can see, I am totally confused.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The Intravee II and the KCA-420i will work for the iPod only. This replaces the BMW Changer.

In order to use a cd changer with the Intravee you have to install the KCA-420i, Alpine CHA-S634 and the Alpine AI-Net Source Selector (I don't remember the model). If I remember correctly you can also add one more source to the selector (for 3 total, iPod, CD Changer and one more). I wasn't looking for a XM option when I did my research last month.

You can go to the forums at the Inravee web site and learn much more. I really had a hard time designing my system with the information I found on their site. But they are pretty helpful on the forums.

The key to the Itravee is that it works with the Apline AI-Net and the AI-Net communicates with the I-Bus system in our BMW's.

I love the Intravee by the way. I decided for now to just use the Ipod as my source, but I am sure I will add a changer soon as well.

Rob

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other source selector is the KCA-410c.

I wonder if I could use that selector, with the Pioneer XM/Traffic system, put some holy water on it, and get what I want.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Hi Kirk,

1. Now that I read more of the website, I get what you are trying to do. I didn't realize Intravee has specific Alpine Ai-Net support. Too bad their website is so darn vague - I'd be interested to know if the stock CD Changer is supported...

2. I believe you are stuck with Sirius if you want factory integration

3. Not that I am aware of. Europe has traffic, but I believe the US standard is different and unsupported by BMW.

4. Exactly what the aux adapter provides - it is nothing more than a dumb headphone jack.

You have a pretty good handle on this stuff - but it sure does require a lot of research, and as you've seen, a lot of proprietary interfaces if you want to interface to an aftermarket (like Alpine) BUS.

d-

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Hi Rob,

Good info on the AINet. Do you have the setup you described installed? If so, how does it physically work? Do you select CD on your BMW IBus, and then the Alpine AiNet presents another set of menus asking you which of the various Alpine components you want to select?

Doug

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have been spending a lot of time researching the Intravee and the KCA-420i. I'm about to order it up, but am wondering if anyone has since added the capability of Sirius? Is it as simple as adding Intravee, KCA-420i, and the SIR-ALP1?

Will this be enough to control the Ipod, and get Sirius? And if so, is Sirius controlled through the factory head unit?

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else, but I have already spent too much time on this computer over the past few days. Work/home life is starting to suffer. Thanks

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I have been spending a lot of time researching the Intravee and the KCA-420i. I'm about to order it up, but am wondering if anyone has since added the capability of Sirius? Is it as simple as adding Intravee, KCA-420i, and the SIR-ALP1?

Will this be enough to control the Ipod, and get Sirius? And if so, is Sirius controlled through the factory head unit?

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else, but I have already spent too much time on this computer over the past few days. Work/home life is starting to suffer. Thanks
From what I understand, yes. The Intravee II works in conjunction with the Alpine AI-Net and allows you to hook up an Alpine mp3/CD changer and Sirius satellite radio (I think there is an option for HD Radio also). The Sirius will show on the head unit.

G/L and let us know how it turns out and takes some pics of the install.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
The latest firmware update for the Intravee (V6.00-1128) supports the SIRALP-1 Sirius tuner, TUA-T020XM XM Tuner and the TUA-T500HD or TUA-T550HD HD tuner. You can only have one of these tuners (so you can't have Sirius and HD for example), but they will work with any Nav system so no need to have a Sirius capable BM53.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts