BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new F10 M5's have (relatively speaking) space age suspensions that can be adjusted dozens of ways.

Why build a car whose suspension geometry costs thousands more to develop and engineer that also has to communicate with electro-nannies, when you can just have a really, really great set-up like the E39 does, and basically achieve the same?

My old E39 rode better in NYC than my neighbors F10 does, without having to deal with making adjustments every time I drive the car through bumpy, smooth, or pot hole heavy streets.

Just saying...

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Its a gimmick to me, but then again E28 owners (and some E39ers) say the sport mode is a gimmick too. Technology like this will only continue to advance.

It helps sell cars, thats really all there is to it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I can't tell you how many times my boss that owns an e90 M3 competition package has told me my M5 rides really great. I think it rides like a rock but it is all perspective and where we are each coming from.

I work for the company that invented the magneto rheological fluid that goes in quite a few of the high tech shock absorbers you are talking about they are actually really simple. In ways they are simpler then normal shocks since they don't have valving, just a pistion with an electro magnet inside of it. The control circuit can be as simple as applying a constant power or you can make it variable to account for present driving conditions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts