BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone replaced their mechanical fan with an electric one? If so have you had any problems with it? Any increase in power or gas mileage?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi!...haven't got one on the M5 but on my E30 the clutch failed and i noticed that that car had more power!.....i guess a functional clutch also takes a bit of power from the engine!...if i had my way i'd remove all my fan clutches and fix electric fans to all the cars. hiha

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
erikm54life how many miles do you have on it? Did you notice any differences in temps? I drove my M with out a fan (for a couple of blocks) and it felt quicker. It just seems like the stock fan is really loud. i replaced the fan clutch, but it still seems really loud.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've heard about M3 E36 fan delete kit, ask for it, luckly the kit would fit E34, probably store that sells this upgrades for E36 will know better than me.

Timon said:
erikm54life how many miles do you have on it? Did you notice any differences in temps? I drove my M with out a fan (for a couple of blocks) and it felt quicker. It just seems like the stock fan is really loud. i replaced the fan clutch, but it still seems really loud.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Engine was generally running cooler with electric fan....the viscous fan is not permanently activated unlike the electric one.As for the sound the electric fan is louder...but this also depends on the shape of the fan blades....some are actually quieter than the viscous fan.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Guys
I hope you do not mind me adding some general comments to this thread.

I would not reccommend the deletion of the viscous clutch fan. (My opinion only)
Its an engine compartment fan.
Its fitted to these vehicles because of the severe thermal environment that race type exhaust headers & EGR can generate within the engine compartment.
When Idling, this fan will move air to diffuse the superheated air above the exhaust & prevent localised heat stressing that allows thing like the air box to remain relatively cool.(cool intake air equals better efficiency & more power)
Positive air pressure disengages the viscous fan clutch to prevent extra frictional losses & the tips of the blades remain within subsonic rpm speeds.

The electric fans operation is much more an alround cooling function wether the vehicle be at static Idle, Autobahn driving or 2nd & 3rd gear mountain altitude driving.
Its main aim is to stabilse the water & oil cooling system plus air con condensor, hence its position in front of the cooling pack radiators driving air onto the radiator vanes.

You have to ask yourself why a manufacturer has fitted something only for a tuning or otherwise company to delete it.
If replaced with another electric fan within the engine compartment, then great, but to delete completely when an intrumented vehicle test has shown a requirement for it is quite risky.

Regards
Farrell

1 - 6 of 6 Posts