BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a big day for my Beast....I had an Eisenmann Sport w/Oval Tip exhaust installed (mufflers only), and had a set of Hartge springs installed.

First The Exhaust:
I did a lot of research before selecting the Eisenmann Sport exhaust. Thank you to many of you on this Board for helping to answer my questions, and providing me with valuable information that helped make my decision.

I chose the Eisenmann Sport because I didn't want the exhaust to be too loud, like the Eisenmann Race, but I wanted it to be louder than stock and I love the oval tips on the Eisenmann exhausts. I was considering the SS setup with x-pipe, the Hartge setup with x-pipe, and the Dinan with SS x-pipe.

A few people warned me that the Eisenmann Sport will still be VERY loud and that it will have resonance inside the cabin at cruising speeds. Despite my concerns, I decided to take a chance and I went with the Eisenmann Sport anyway. I didn't get the x-pipes because I was afraid the mufflers alone were going to be too loud (I use my car for work and didn't want anything obnoxiously loud).

I had the exhaust installed today, and to my surprise it is not very loud at all. It's louder than stock, but only by about 30%. At idle the exhaust note is definitely throatier, but only by a little bit. At higher revs in the 5-8K RPM range the sound is really nice, but again not too loud. Inside the cabin, it's hard to tell the difference between the Eisenmann Sport and the stock exhaust...Really! Cruising on the highway is the same....hard to tell that I have an aftermarket exhaust installed. Under hard acceleration in M-Mode, is where you can hear the typical great Eisenmann F-1 type sound!

So far I'm happy with my decision. I may need to go a bit louder and get the Eisenmann x-pipe, but I'm going to give it a few hundred miles to see if the baffles open up a bit a get louder before making that decision.

Some pics below of the installation.....

Now the Videos.......:7:

Revving the engine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkt2OMSDIX0

Accelerating into a tunnel in SF...notice the "chirp" going into 3rd! :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlrJfw3ypEU

(You gotta love my friend's comment at the end of the video!) :hihi:

The Hartge springs were also installed today and I am very pleased with them! They lowered the car just enough in my opinion without giving it the "slammed" look. The ride quality is also really nice without it being too stiff. Infact it's hard to tell when riding in the car that the suspension has been lowered...my wife couldn't tell.

Some pics with the lowered suspension:

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures and the videos! Thanks to Kin and the guys over at Motorsport Technique for a great installation! :applause:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Nice exhaust..nice wheels...which shop did you go to have the mod installed?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice exhaust..nice wheels...which shop did you go to have the mod installed?
Thanks.

I live in San Francisco and I had a place in Hayward, CA called Motorsport Techniques do the work. Nice guys and very skilled.

Bet you can't wait for your new car! I also went from a 645ci to the M5. It's a nice change!

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Nice polar. I think those are the first good vids of the E-sport on the forum. I've heard them with an x-pipe and, personally, I'm glad I went with the Race. Just too quiet for my taste.

Just love those wheels! Great job with the mods.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Nice Job...now you need to finish the job...the real culprit to laging H.P. do HEADERS and CATS..............

·
Registered
126 Posts
I also have the sport setup, however it was sent to me by accident. I ordered the race mufflers. After installing the units I was a little dissapointed with the sound. I have now installed the xpipe and found it to be the same. Im not sure if im keeping them now because I dont want it to be too loud. I have been told that the header installation actually produces better results with the sport mufflers and/or stock mufflers over the race version. I have contacted eisenhaus and they are denying that they made a mistake. There is no doubt now that the mufflers are the sport version. Not sure what im doing yet.:confused2

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I also have the sport setup, however it was sent to me by accident. I ordered the race mufflers. After installing the units I was a little dissapointed with the sound. I have now installed the xpipe and found it to be the same. Im not sure if im keeping them now because I dont want it to be too loud. I have been told that the header installation actually produces better results with the sport mufflers and/or stock mufflers over the race version. I have contacted eisenhaus and they are denying that they made a mistake. There is no doubt now that the mufflers are the sport version. Not sure what im doing yet.:confused2
Rich, did you find the label on the cans confirming you have the sport?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have not even looked Ed but you heard them. When I get my car back from Greenwich Im going to.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Your car looks awesome!!! Congrats on all the mods. The E-Sport is a lot quieter than I thought it would be. The Hartge springs look killer. I wish I had gone with them instead of the H & R's. The drop is perfect...not too low, but definitely low enough. Have you solved all the rubbing issues yet? Anyway, glad you like the car...it looks very good.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Have not even looked Ed but you heard them. When I get my car back from Greenwich Im going to.
If you decide to get rid of them, let me know. I would be interested in buying them from you.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
polar nice work !! im gad you like the eis sport i told you i had heard lasorsa's setup and it wasnt half as loud as race..

now im pissed cause i too , did alot of reearch and when i asked about eis sport all the heads said it was still gonna be to loud..

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the compliments. I tried to document the installation as best I could to help others on the Board....it was also fun making the video going through the tunnel! :M5launch:

Regarding the rubbing in the rear...I still haven't fully resolved that problem. I wanted to see if with the new tighter Hartge springs if it would still rub. I haven't driven the car too much yet with the new suspension setup, but I did "rub" once on my way home from the installation shop when going over an expansion joint on the highway that created an elevation change. Makes me cringe every time!

I guess I have to trim a bit more, but honestly I'm not even sure where it's rubbing! When the wheels were off the car yesterday while the springs were going in, I looked inside the fender to see if there was any sign of wear in a particular area from the rubbing. I couldn't find anything. The area I had trimmed the most was near the rear bumper.

Regarding the Eisenmann Sport....I'll let it break in, but it's definitely a bit too quiet for me. Do you think adding the x-pipe will make a big difference in sound? I still don't think I should have gone with the Race version because I think it would be too loud, though I've really only heard the Race mufflers installed in conjunction with the x-pipe (which is definitely too loud for my everyday use). Please let me know your thoughts. Headers are a consideration, but I just dropped a ton of dough, and my wallet is feeling a bit thin, so I'll probably hold off on that mod for a while.

Next mods are Hartge Front Spoiler (getting painted), Arqray Rear Decklid Spoiler (en route from Japan). FYI, the Hartge Rear Diffuser does NOT work with the Eisenmann Oval Tip Exhaust. The tips are too wide and the rear diffuser does not fit. I order the rear diffuser from Turner, sized it up yesterday after the exhaust was installed and it definitely doesn't fit. Fortunately I didn't have that painted yet so it'll go back to Turner next week. Any suggestions for another rear diffuser?

Enjoy your Sunday! Going to see the Yankees spank the Athletics today in Oakland! (Still a New Yorker at heart!)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
polar nice work !! im gad you like the eis sport i told you i had heard lasorsa's setup and it wasnt half as loud as race..

now im pissed cause i too , did alot of reearch and when i asked about eis sport all the heads said it was still gonna be to loud..
I know, we spoke about this. I was also concerned about the Sport being too loud! If anything, it's not loud enough! The video speaks for itself.

Hopefully the x-pipe will get me to where I want to be in terms of the exhaust note. Still not sure though. :confused:

Overall I'm happy with the Sport....very happy that it's not too loud. You can always make an exhaust system louder by adding sections, it's hard to make it quieter if it's too loud from the beginning.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts