BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So mod fever has kicked in big time. I have barely had my '06 for 30 days and I have already made a pretty radical change by installing a CIC unit in place of the CCC.

Anyway, this past weekend dropped my ride onto a set of Eibachs and decided to add some spacers as well. Here are some pics of the install process as well as the final result.

Compressing the stock spring in the fender well (this is the way to go for sure as long as you are comfortable doing it. Much less work than removing the whole assembly.)

Assembly popped out. This turned out to be a lot easier than I had read. Compress to about 8.5" and then just push down and out. Just make sure you got all the wires and tubes free before doing this!

Front angle. Don't mind Rufus.

Old spring removed. Here you can see all the wires and tubes you need to make sure are clear!

New spring being compressed. Compress to at least 8.5". I'd go to 8" as the Eibach is a lot stiffer getting in. I switched to a diffent compressor tool as to not scratch the spring. It has a more bow out than the stock one.

Rear spring removed. Notice how the upper link has been moved down and to the rear to allow removal of assembly. You can also see the 10mm spacer here.

Rear spring assembly. No need to use the compressor when taking off the top nut. Just be sure to apply pressure when you are about to bust the nut! ;) I did everything by myself except for pushing the rear spring assembly up into the chassis. It really does require a helper to get the 3 studs aligned. And boy what a pain it is working on the rear strut towers!

All done. Front angle:

Side shot:

Rear angle:

Another rear. This one really shows the nice stance with the 12mm front & 10mm rear spacers on OEM rims.

·
2,217 Posts
Thanks for the write up, helps a lot.. Gives you a better prospective of everything when you need to diagnose or figure something out..

I had my Eibach's installed and noticed that they removed and threw out the rubber blocks on both rear springs, what did you do with yours?

--

Be careful with driving the car on EDC III. The car is very bumpy and has hopped out. It doesn't feel as stable with EDC III at 150+. I normally use EDC or EDC I. (EDC being the button not pressed).

Overall I'm very happy with them in both ways, performance and appearance.

·
Registered
248 Posts
These pictures will help plenty! Thanks for posting them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my Eibach's installed and noticed that they removed and threw out the rubber blocks on both rear springs, what did you do with yours?
I reused everything, including the rubber blocks. No issues at all.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Interesting how every install goes differently. I didn't have to remove any links on the rear suspension, instead I removed the fender liner and that gave enough room to pull the strut out. Also, the front Eibachs did not require any compression at all, they fit into the strut without using a compressor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i'm glad the install went well for you, but i'd recommend against this method,

if those spring compressors slip, one will slide right into the other (and with force because of the enormous tension in the spring)
and possibly chop off your finger like a guillotine,
i've also seen fenders get damaged with this method,

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
i'm glad the install went well for you, but i'd recommend against this method,

if those spring compressors slip, one will slide right into the other (and with force because of the enormous tension in the spring)
and possibly chop off your finger like a guillotine,
i've also seen fenders get damaged with this method,

also, those wheel speed sensor and brake pad sensors are getting stretched when you have the strut assembly
hanging out, and putting a lot of tension on the wires

they are spring compressors, and they are designed to do their job.

he disconnected all the wires and sensors.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you plan to have an alignment performed?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes, I had an alignment done after a couple of weeks. Results as follows:

I'll need to have them "pop the pins" in the front strut towers to get camber back into spec, I'm thinking about 1 degree would be about right. I'll probably also get them to reduce rear camber to around 1.5 degrees to keep from chewing up the insides of the rear tires. This is a daily driver, not a track car.

Fronts took less than 2 hours. Rears closer to 3, mainly due to needing to get a hold of a helper to align the bolts in the strut towers upon reassembly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't think so. The amount of travel is just reduced a little compared to stock so that the shocks don't extend quite as far as before. The springs being stiffer might mean less wear on the shocks, maybe?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nice write up. Your car stills nice and pretty now. My car came with H&R springs on it already and I love the stance springs give the M5.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello, Just installed the eibach's on friday and I am thinking about the spacers. It looks like you went with the H&R's? Any fitment or drive-ability issues with the car lowered and spaced?

I found the following comment on Turners site regarding the 10mm's. Is this a concern?

A note about 10mm spacers: Any 10mm spacer is considered a custom fitment. The stock hubcentric lip on BMWs can stick out by as much as 11mm. This leaves a gap between the spacer and the hub which seriously compromises safety. We recommend using a larger spacer (12mm and larger do not have this issue) or check that the lip sticks out less than 10mm.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw that notice as well on Turner's site. It was not an issue for me.

No fitness or driveability issues at all.

Appreciate the compliments!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello Stunt, one more question {for now :) }, is this mod simply cosmetic or is there a performance/handling benefit? I am very pleased with my Eibach spring install. Car aesthetically looks "better" and feels to have less body roll during hard cornering.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts