BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend with an automatic transmission raised this question, but I didn't have a good answer even for manual transmissions.

Is there any additional wear or damage if you operate at low RPMs, say 2000RPM, when going uphill, than if you're operating closer to the torque peak? I know it's not as fun, but is anything actually wearing faster, assuming the engine isn't pinging?

Question is really directed at whether an automatic tranny should be manually downshifted when going up hills to maintain higher RPMs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
A friend with an automatic transmission raised this question, but I didn't have a good answer even for manual transmissions.

Is there any additional wear or damage if you operate at low RPMs, say 2000RPM, when going uphill, than if you're operating closer to the torque peak? I know it's not as fun, but is anything actually wearing faster, assuming the engine isn't pinging?

Question is really directed at whether an automatic tranny should be manually downshifted when going up hills to maintain higher RPMs.

Thanks.
Generally speaking, the autobox will shift when it needs to. So unless there is a big load on the car (pulling a trailer or just heavily laden), I wouldn't worry about hurting the car. It may drive better with some driver intervention, but it isn't necessary.
Regards,
Jerrry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts