BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the M5 engine has lots of advanced technology items: double vanos, and other stuff. Are there major differences between that and the engines in the E39 540, and 530?

Reason why I aasked is that if the 530 engine is less complicated, and more relaible, I may replace my M5 with a 530 5 speed. With my RUF, I don't need a blistering car as my daily driver. Reliability, easy maintenance and safety are now my keys.

Thanks for the education.

CP

·
Registered
590 Posts
chunpng said:
I know that the M5 engine has lots of advanced technology items: double vanos, and other stuff. Are there major differences between that and the engines in the E39 540, and 530?

Reason why I aasked is that if the 530 engine is less complicated, and more relaible, I may replace my M5 with a 530 5 speed. With my RUF, I don't need a blistering car as my daily driver. Reliability, easy maintenance and safety are now my keys.

CP
CP sounds like a loaded question to me coming from a M5Guru.
Anyway the 530 is a six cylinder and very reliable, although I never drove one with a 5speed. The 540I sport has a 4.4 v-8, fun to drive but a bit more maitenance. As far as safety I think all BMW are pretty safe.

I'm torn I've driven a RUF and It's a ton of fun, fast car. But I love the M5, it's a different animal.

Joe

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I realize that the 530 is a 6 cylinder. This is the root of my question.

After the horrific accident in the M5, I know the E39s are very safe cars. I eventually need to replace my daily driver. (driving son's Highlander while he is at his dorm in college) I'm debating between a Lexus RX330, or another E39. I may still be tempted by an 03 M5, but I realize that it is a very complicated car (mechanically and electronically) and lots can go wrong. I do a lot of freeway driving, so a 530 is probably an acceptable alternative. As I mentioned, my priority now in my daily driver are: reliability, easy maintenance, and safety.

I have my RUF for spirited driving and speed thrills. I don't need a high performance daily driver to fill those needs. Ergo my question. I wish to see if the 530's engine is a simple, proven, bullet-proof, and easy to maintain.

CP

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's what I had to replace in my own M5, in 64k miles:
MAFS, O2 sensors, rear diff. seal, right cat, rotors, thrust bushings, seat-memory module (twice), cup-holders (numerous times), final stage relay (AC related), brake light module, rear sway brackets.

This is when I maintain my car religeousely. Lucky most items were covered under warranty. No doubt it is a great car, but a VERY complex car nevertheless.

CP

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
My friend has an 03 530i 5 speed, he loves it and says it's a very fun car to drive. Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
439 Posts
the 530 is way more reliable than the 540. not very fast but the trade off is the great gas mileage (for that size car). for some reason the i6 has fewer problems . either car get cpo 2003 only ,those seem to be the most updated ones .

ray

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ray540inyc said:
the 530 is way more reliable than the 540. not very fast but the trade off is the great gas mileage (for that size car). for some reason the i6 has fewer problems . either car get cpo 2003 only ,those seem to be the most updated ones .

ray
Ray,

Great to know that. It will be a 2003 E39, either an M5, or a 530 5-speed, for me, CPO only. It wouldn't be the 540i as I'd get the M5 instead. There is still a chance I'd go for the Lexus, but I'd love to have a Sterling Grey E39 some day. Good to know that the inline-6 is a good reliable engine.

CP

·
Registered
764 Posts
chunpng said:
Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I realize that the 530 is a 6 cylinder. This is the root of my question.

After the horrific accident in the M5, I know the E39s are very safe cars. I eventually need to replace my daily driver. (driving son's Highlander while he is at his dorm in college) I'm debating between a Lexus RX330, or another E39. I may still be tempted by an 03 M5, but I realize that it is a very complicated car (mechanically and electronically) and lots can go wrong. I do a lot of freeway driving, so a 530 is probably an acceptable alternative. As I mentioned, my priority now in my daily driver are: reliability, easy maintenance, and safety.

I have my RUF for spirited driving and speed thrills. I don't need a high performance daily driver to fill those needs. Ergo my question. I wish to see if the 530's engine is a simple, proven, bullet-proof, and easy to maintain.

CP
If you don't mind complete isolation from the road, you might want to consider a Lexus LS430. ?????? :confused:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
zzzzMD said:
If you don't mind complete isolation from the road, you might want to consider a Lexus LS430. ?????? :confused:
Ray,

The Lexus is a very pampering car, very reliable, and great services. However, I'm very partial to the looks of the E39 5 series.

If I go Lexus, I'd take the RX330 or RX400 hybrid. In that case, I'd share the Lexus with my wife, as she likes a higher driving position.

CP

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I think the 530 even was rated by Consumer Reports as one of the best cars of all time including rating excellent in most mechanical areas, so I think a 530 would be a good bet as reliable transportation. The steering is rack & pinion unlike the recirculating ball in our M5s so the feel will be better. The six is a single VANOS system IIRC, so would that be 2x the reliability of our double VANOS? Maybe. The six is a very robust design but not w/o its weak spots, too. If it's like the sixes in 3 series cars (and I think they're the same), expect to change the water pump on a 60k mile basis and while you're at it, change out the thermostat and replace the housing with an aluminum one (the stock one's plastic and tends to warp). Other than that, they're mostly bulletproof IIRC. The rest of the car is susceptible to the same foibles as the M5 in terms of the A/C final stage and other interior bits (it is an e39, remember). You won't break rear sway bar brackets since I don't think 530s come with any rear bar. I'd still get one over a Lexus any day. It's not just about speed but precision handling and driving feel, IMHO. Knowing you, you'll still enjoy the 530 more than the Lexus.

·
Registered
240 Posts
chunpng said:

CP

I would opt for a 530i/5spd manual with the Sport pkg. I think those cars are a great balance of sport/lux/economy. 30+ MPG, and you get the classic E-39 body. That would be my choice for a daily driver.

Eric

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Pong- I flogged a 528 for years, and it never missed a beat. 48K on the car when it went back at the end of the lease, and the only problem that car had was broken bushings in the clutch linkage from my sister Harrietta Hamhands. It might have needed rear sway brackets too, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
My friend has an E46 330i with over 74k on the clock, and the car runs like it is new. My father had 156k on an old 535 with no problems, my mother had close to 100k on a 525 with no problems...the recurring theme here is I have yet to see a BMW I6 in non M trim that wasnt bullet proof to the extreme. Many of my friends have had plenty of M50's, M52's etc over 100k on the clock with nothing but smooth sailing. I guess lower stress levels than the S series engines provide a lot more life.
I have driven an E39 530 5 speed, and it was a wonderful car. Enough power to get you on the freeway at the right speed, and a great snarl on the top of the rpm band. Wont be an M5, but for what you want I think it would fit the bill perfectly. Of course go drive a bunch and see what you think.
Word of caution though, they have the dreaded clutch delay valve, so a trip to Dave Z. will be paramount to good clutch life.
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I go for the 530, I'd change the CDV, suspension, shifter, and a few other things.

CP

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
If I go for the 530, I'd change the CDV, suspension, shifter, and a few other things.
hiha hiha hiha You can take Pong out of the M5 but you can't take the M5 out of Pong! hiha hiha hiha :M5launch:

·
Registered
590 Posts
CP my wife has an 04 Murano which is along the lines of the RX330 only not as luxurious. It's a real nice car and she loves it. We've taken some trips in it and it performs beautifully on the road and around town. I've driven and serviced a number of RX300/330's and they are very nice too. Both have excellent maitenance records. They go well, stop well, handle well (for an all-wheel drive car), and ride nice. It does everything well except, IT"S BORING :hihi:.

If you what reliability and manners get the Lexus. If you what a fun daily driver that needs attention now and then get the 530 5speed and let your wife drive that.

Good one Need4spd :hihi:

Joe

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a '00 528 and so far (64K miles) I've only replaced the waterpump (at 27K - under warranty) and done regular maintenance. Other than that - bulletproof. Fun to drive but I regret getting an auto so I'm going the opposite direction (I don't have a RUF so I want an M5...Range Rover is my daily driver). The 530 would be similar to mine....they do have a great growl at high rpms. Lots of fun for only 225 (or thereabouts) HP.

Edit: If you get 30mpg in a 530 - :bow: ...the best I've had in the 528 consistently was 27 on a long trip across NM/AZ...avg speed probably 75mph.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts