BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 11/99 build so it has the "oval" or dare I say Hemi rings as I understand it.

Obviously they changed them because they caused more oil consumption right?

I just read a thread that the "oval" rings were built similar to race engines but I have also heard that the 01's through the 03's models were VERY slightly faster.

I don't get it.

Please tell me the pros and cons of both pistons and rings.

My car just turned 99,000 miles and it does not and indeed never did consume much oil at all.

Always used 10W-60 obviously and have changed it on average at 5000 miles.

Uses about a quart every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have never seen any credible evidence to suggest the newer M5s are "very slightly faster" than the early ones. There are most likely faster and slower cars within each model year, though, that can account for differences in performance. It reminds me of the world of fine wine, where the saying "There are no great wines, only great bottles" is ever so true.

Good point about the rings - I don't get it either. Castrol 10w-60 was originally developed for DTM race cars. The early M5 rings were supposedly "race car technology" borrowed from the DTM experience. So for the oil-guzzling oval rings we got...? Of course I have a new-style block now so we'll see which I like better. hmmm

·
Registered
767 Posts
I too have a 11/99 build that uses very little oil. The rings were changed in motors built after 3/2000, and the recommended oil was changed with it. There are no facts as to why this was done, only opinions. Mine is that BMW wanted to switch to a cheaper and publicly available oil. Since then, BMWNA has issued a bullitin stating both oils are acceptable in motors with the newer rings.

Regardless of which ring your motor has, you may burn a little (like you and I) or a lot (1 quart per 800 miles). There seems to be no correllation in 00 to 03 motors and oil ussage.

Rings are all that is different, and no change in spec'ed power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts