BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My EDC needs refreshing at all four corners but it's difficult to justify expense since I'm without the dash-mounted optional switch to control damper settings.Has anyone upgraded to this option by retrofitting a switch and control module?Anyone aware of what I might need to retrofit this?Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm checking this out at the moment; The switch is £76 and I don't think you need a control module. All the wiring (One plug) is already on the wiring loom under the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

I managed to source the EDC switch from an earlier 535i but it does not fit as the plug sockets are different.

I'll let you know how things progress.

kupkake said:
My EDC needs refreshing at all four corners but it's difficult to justify expense since I'm without the dash-mounted optional switch to control damper settings.Has anyone upgraded to this option by retrofitting a switch and control module?Anyone aware of what I might need to retrofit this?Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would seem that just a switch would be too simple.I look forward to any info. you might gather.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thats what I thought, but after all the descriptions/advice that Garcia was doing on the EDC rebuilds it was pretty clear that these struts are just actuators. The CPU (Next to battery) adjusts the struts as per the various sensors. I believe all the switch does is lock the actuator in either fully 'hard' position (S program) or in the 'normal' program which is what we have on our M5's, in the fully adaptive program.

Again, does anyone have any experience or better information on the 'M Adaptive' suspension setup?

kupkake said:
It would seem that just a switch would be too simple.I look forward to any info. you might gather.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
all there is needed is indeed the S/P-switch HOWEVER best to my knowledge
it's got to be the right one for a E34 M5 only (I do not believe that a 535i
had either the EDCIII-set up nor the correct switch) -
-
the Nuerburgring-suspension-package-option (1992>1994) was available for
about DEM 840 and what did you get for that money ???
= the S/P-switch, servotronic and a 1 mm stronger stabilizer bar for the
rear axle, that's it -
the EDCIII-suspension system is a standard-factory-feature on the 3.8 E34 M5 -
(the cable/connections for the switch are supposedly installed and ready
by the factory)
-
PS: does anybody have connections to an ALFA ROMEO-parts dealer ??
rumours have it that the ZF-Sachs (Boge)-dampers for the E34 M5 are
identical with the dampers for a certain ALFA REMEO-model, which -
if at all true - just might cut the costs for these considerably
-

·
Registered
92 Posts
M5touring reg said:
if at all true - just might cut the costs for these considerably
-
Possible, but doubtfull, as most Alfa Drivers I know say that the driving experience can be simulated in any other non Alfa car, by throwing handfulls of £10's out of the window every few miles..... :hihi:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
when we know we know, so far we do not ! it is a long shot anyway !
fact is, if BMW had not extended the 10 years licence with -Sachs/Boge- then these dampers with exactly the same quality and from the same source
wud have been A LOT cheaper from what they are now -
BMW has a huge margin on these but as they fit only to cars with a relatively ssmall number of production one can wonder what the general idea of this actualy is :crying: :crying:
for sure this policy will make these cars disappear more quickly then they wud
otherwise, why shud BMW push this development......? :sad1: :sad1:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I used to run an Alfa 164 3.0 Cloverleaf with EDC. When the rear shockers failed they were around 500GBP each, so Phil is correct! I fitted Koni sport adjustables at around a quarter of the cost....

EDC isn't worth it on the M5 in my experience. As you're in the States I'd suggest talking to Ground Control (somewhere West Coast IIRC) as they did a range of kits for the M5. Dinan are also a possibility but more expensive. I'd suggest a Schnitzer kit like mine - it's excellent - but now discontinued.

Best of luck

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
[email protected]
you are talking about ALFA prices, I am talking about SACHS-prices for
dampers for an ALFA, the idea is to purchase these from SACHS -not- ALFA -
the reason being that you can NOT purchase BMW-dampers from SACHS
because of the licence-agreement, right -
-
what we need to establish is however, that these are indeed the same
dampers, what I wud need to make sure is = the SACHS/BOGE-part-number
for the ALFA-dampers -
-
'test and try before you buy', I am aware -it is a long shot- still it cud be worth it, does anyone have the connections to ALFA or SACHS to check the part-numbers ??
-
I disagree about the usefullness of the EDIII for the E34 M5, it is a great system and it works very well, if not before I appreciated the EDCIII -A LOT-
during the 'E34 M5tour de Alpes 2004', unless of course you wish to drive
in a 'track trim' at all times :hihi:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
I do agree with M5touringreg that the EDC system is very useful & effective.
I have also been vocal about the cost of replacing the dampers & I have done all four but at varying times.
If however, I had to replace all 4 dampers at once rather than over a 3 yr period,
then I would seriously consider an aftermarket kit like the Hartge / Dinan or similar as I have heard good things when a complete kit is fitted.

The price of EDC maintenance is not helpful to those who want to keep the cars as the manufacturer had intended, but they appear not to give a sh*t.
(IMHO..!)

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sorry Karl - I was confused by your original post asking if anyone knew an Alfa parts dealer. Approaching Sachs direct could of course be more productive.

The subject of EDC on these cars always arouses a passionate response. I can only go on my experience of each (EDC and Schnitzer) and comments from others who have made the switch to non-EDC. Each side of course has a vested interest in proclaiming the repective virtues. In the end it boils down to personal preference, but take it from me you wouldn't be so sure of the benefits of EDC if you drove my car....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dont want to divert this topic but was wondering if when replacing the rear self levellers any of the other components would need replacing? ie accumulators etc.

·
Registered
868 Posts
M5e3438 said:
if at all true - just might cut the costs for these QUOTE]

I looked in to this two years ago when all of mine went in the space of 12 months. I did make contact with Alfa via a friend who works for their marketing department who in turn spoke to their parts gang.

Anyway, it turned out they do an EDC shock but not one compatible with our cars.

I guess the only real way to know for absolute sure is to deal with Sachs directly. Can anyone physically go to the plant or their offices?

Also what happened to the EDC re-manufacturing attempts? It looked promising but seems to have gone quiet / stalled???

·
Registered
970 Posts
Garcia went back to the USA at the beginning of January. He hasn't resurfaced yet? So not sure of the situation other than what was on the our last thread.

M5 powered said:
M5e3438 said:
if at all true - just might cut the costs for these QUOTE]

I looked in to this two years ago when all of mine went in the space of 12 months. I did make contact with Alfa via a friend who works for their marketing department who in turn spoke to their parts gang.

Anyway, it turned out they do an EDC shock but not one compatible with our cars.

I guess the only real way to know for absolute sure is to deal with Sachs directly. Can anyone physically go to the plant or their offices?

Also what happened to the EDC re-manufacturing attempts? It looked promising but seems to have gone quiet / stalled???

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi Kupkake

So there we have it! One EDC switch (part number B61.31.2.253.202), cost £65.88 + VAT, pull down the interior trim to the right of the steering wheel, locate your EDC plug on the wiring loom, remove blanking plate to left of headlight switch, locate EDC Switch, plug in loom, replace trim, turn on ignition, hey presto, switchable suspension!!

Have it!!

Brian

kupkake said:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So that's really it?Thanks for the response Brian;it sounds like you've just upgraded to the "switchable suspension"?Easy enough,makes one wonder why it wasn't standard fare in the 1st place.Again,thanks. Vic

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
kupkake said:
So that's really it?Thanks for the response Brian;it sounds like you've just upgraded to the "switchable suspension"?Easy enough,makes one wonder why it wasn't standard fare in the 1st place.Again,thanks. Vic
-
it become factory standard with the 95 6-gear upgrade model together with
a 1 mm stronger rear-axle sway-bar but without the servotronic which was included in the -Nuerburgring-package- option for the earlier production cars - :typing: :blabla:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Maybe my imagination, but the whole suspension seems more 'alive' with the switch? I know this has been refuted before, but, I suspect there maybe some sort of 'AI' (artificial intelligence), similar to the Bosch 3.3 DME, within the EDC DME? (Had a hard pressed driving experience this evening whilst testing my new HID/Xenon headlight conversion ......... superb, excellent lighting!!)

Regards

BC

M5touring reg said:
-
it become factory standard with the 95 6-gear upgrade model together with
a 1 mm stronger rear-axle sway-bar but without the servotronic which was included in the -Nuerburgring-package- option for the earlier production cars - :typing: :blabla:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Decided that as I've got one leaking rear EDC damper I'm having both replaced on Thursday. Front EDCs were both replaced last year (and one of them again a couple of months ago under warranty) so will have a pretty new suspension set up. Hope I can tell the difference!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi M5e3438

Can you make sure you keep the old units so that you can send them to Garcia for repair at a later date?

Thanks

M5e3438 said:
Decided that as I've got one leaking rear EDC damper I'm having both replaced on Thursday. Front EDCs were both replaced last year (and one of them again a couple of months ago under warranty) so will have a pretty new suspension set up. Hope I can tell the difference!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts