BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start with saying the the dampers themselves are fine.

Over the last few days my EDC dampers have reverted to the hard setting.

Today I was at Bexley Motorworks having KDS alignment (they are now doing this with the brand new Hunter alignment machine) and I asked them to check my EDC.

They used Autologic which can activate the axle pair dampers.

All of my sensors are working fine. I also checked this with my own diagnostic equipment.

The screen straight away showed that my dampers were all on the hard setting.

The autologic actived the front axle to all three settings - soft, medium and hard.

The rear dampers however would not be activated to soft or medium.

I also tested the switch with my own equipment and that's working fine.

I have no EDC inactive warnings on the dash.

This is odd to say the least, surely I should be getting a warning?

I'm not even getting any fault codes.

At work I decided to check the wiring.

With the igntion on I disconnected the rear dampers and checked if there was a feed coming to them. Both of the +ve feeds were on for each solenoid on both rear dampers.

Is this right? Surely I should be getting only one wire with a +ve feed or is it because I only had the ignition on?

Tommorrow I will be powering up the individual solenoids with a power source to see if they are working. Jon @ Sportsline already did this and said they were ok so I have a feeling I'm going to find the same thing.

Is this looking like an ECU failure given that I'm getting no EDC warnings and it seems as though I'm getting power to all of the solenoids?

If this is the case is there anyone who would be willing to let me try their EDC module out on my car to clarify this is the actual problem before I go spend £xxx.xx on one?

While we are on the subject of my dampers being in the hard position permanently. Are my dampers likely to be damaged in this setting all of the time?

I have to say while it is quite hard and does get uncomfortable around town, the car feels like a go kart. It feels extremely planted on motorways and changes direction so so well. It actually feels really really good.

Even when I solve this problem and if it's established that the dampers will not get damaged, I may actually build in a new switch which forces the dampers into permanent hard setting.

Some of you might think I'm mad for doing this but today I took a high speed S bend with more confidence and speed than I have ever done in this car under the hard setting.

Sorry if this has been covered before but I did doa search and I could find no other situation with the same symptoms as mine.

Many Thanks
Sal

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I don't think I ever took mine off the hard setting except for wet weather & wet trackdays.

Don't think it was leaving it on one setting that killed mine, just the mileage and abuse I gave them ;)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Sal, can't shed any light on your edc problem, other than having a good look at that loom as it passes over the rear beam and finding out if the dealer equipment can narrow it down a bit. I was wondering if you have h&r or oem springs fitted?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mmm-Five - are you sure your talking about the hard setting or having the dash switch in S mode?

Phlem5 - running OE springs which I bought brand new last year all round. The H&R rear springs are a bit too hard.
When I had my OE rear springs fitted with H&R fronts it was actually really good. In my opinion better than it is now.

MYBUD - PM sent.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Sal

your car is displaying EXACTLY the same fault mine did when the
wiring over the rear subframe became shorted.
I solved this myself by repairing the loom.

2) P.M me, you are in my neck of the woods and I have a spare EDC
module here you can try....

But I'm sure its the wiring....mine was exactly the same, no errors, no codes
just rock hard shocks.....

Regards,

Alan.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Mmm-Five - are you sure your talking about the hard setting or having the dash switch in S mode?
I thought the 'S' mode was the 'hard' mode - whereas 'P' is the adaptive one?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isn't there a soft, medium and hard setting on the dampers where S is the medium setting with hard coming in when required?

I tested my solenoids today and they all seem to click on and off.

In the process I checked the wiring and indeed there is a short on the offside rear wiring loom which goes way with small amount of movements to the loom.

EDC was fully operational all the way home today and even in S mode the suspension was nowhere near as hard as yesterday.

Alan - thanks for the offer!

Sal

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
From the photo date stamps...
You can see how long ago I effected a repair....and how well it's
lasted !

I used flexable corragated hose over the loom once repaired to create
a boundary between loom & subframe.

Alan.

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Isn't there a soft, medium and hard setting on the dampers where S is the medium setting with hard coming in when required?
Sounds like a question to an answer you already know ?
The full functionality of the O/S & its control plane defaults has been
discussed previously.

The laymans terminology for the switch operation program & Sport is correct
with control plane 1 switched out completely.
Full adaptability is therefore not present.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts