BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever experienced this problem before?

Feels like the back is hopping around when cornering too...

Dealer said that the rear shock is not signaling correctly, and they are replacing the rear passenger shock and all four springs...

Any one else have this? I've seen EDC errors before, but they were different than the one my car is complaining about. :confused2

Attachments

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Sorry, but never seen that problem yet. Um, :3:just wondering about warranty especially if you have aftermarket spring. Can dealer void your warranty and blame on your aftermarket spring that caused the problem???:confused2

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I asked the shop foreman about the error, and he come for a ride with me. He said that he's never seen this one either. Something is really unstable/unbalanced in the rear. The ride is extremely bumpy now all of the time, regardless of the EDC setting. They are going to replace the rear strut, they said it was damaged by the spring, and that the electronic component is not functioning at all.

The car kind of hops over bumps and there is much more premature DSC activitation. Other than that, everything is perfect. Except for the fact that the springs are on backorder for a freaking month... I feel like I'm driving my 330 with coilovers all over again..

·
Registered
742 Posts
I would have thought that it might be a problem with that specific damper, because so many of us have the lower springs with no problems so far.
It has to be manufacturing fault, Hopefully.
Lets hope that all our dampers don't start failing too.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have thought that it might be a problem with that specific damper, because so many of us have the lower springs with no problems so far.
It has to be manufacturing fault, Hopefully.
Lets hope that all our dampers don't start failing too.
What spings do you have on the car? I have DINAN ones, but having them pulled off and putting stocks back on.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
...Lets hope that all our dampers don't start failing too.
:imnotworthy::clap::clap:

I got H&R and if that happen, I'm very much on my own pocket if dealer traced that caused by aftermarket spring. But at least people with Dinan, they're safe.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:imnotworthy::clap::clap:

I got H&R and if that happen, I'm very much on my own pocket if dealer traced that caused by aftermarket spring. But at least people with Dinan, they're safe.

Not really... I mean, mine are DINAN and the only reason why the dealer is covering it is because I bought the car from them with these springs already installed.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Not really... I mean, mine are DINAN and the only reason why the dealer is covering it is because I bought the car from them with these springs already installed.
I think all Dinan products have warranty that BMW dealer will repair and send separate bill to Dinan. BMW dealer is Dinan authorized dealer as well. At least you can get it fix at any BMW dealers.

It's not the case with other aftermarket products.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Has anyone else heard of problems with shocks with aftermarker springs...?

·
Registered
742 Posts
What spings do you have on the car? I have DINAN ones, but having them pulled off and putting stocks back on.
I got the Hartge springs fitted.
No problems for about a year now.
Ride is just a touch firmer than standard.
I got them from Birds, who is the official Hartge improter in the Uk, so if anytning fails, I know whose door I will be knocking.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm... I wonder if I should contact DINAN and have them foot the bill...

Does anyone know if the DINAN springs actually say DINAN on them? Mine are blue like the DINANS but dont have any markings whatsoever. Before I become a squeaky wheel, I want to make sure it's infact their product that I'm complaining about...

Another thing is that the dealer said that if I don't put the stock springs back on, that they will refuse service if anything goes wrong with my car. What do you guys think about that?

My SA said that the springs are damaged, whereas another SA and the tech said that the springs are fine but may have caused the rear strut to fail...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Ok Mike, here is the deal.:lightbulb:
I recommend you put the stock springs back on ( pay the $200.00 labour cost yourself) and then take the care to BMW and tell them that your dampers have failed.
They should have them replaced for you for free under the warantee.
The reason I say that is that those electronic dampers will cost the earth, and you are better off only having to pay the $200.00 or so to put the stock springs on before they see the car.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I recommend you put the stock springs back on ( pay the $200.00 labour cost yourself) and then take the care to BMW and tell them that your dampers have failed.
The reason I say that is that those electronic dampers will cost the earth, and you are better off only having to pay the $200.00 or so to put the stock springs on before they see the car.:thumbsup:
Or other alternative, in case you have to pay for the shock/damper for replacement, just get KW coilver :applause:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought the car from that dealership with the springs preinstalled. I had no idea it had springs untill they told me when I brought it in for service. The sales side and the service side do not talk to eachother.

So because I complained, they are going to put 4 new stock springs on and replace 1 broken shock. I just don't know whether I should say replace the shock only or have them do that and stock springs .... What do you guys think? :dunno:

Side note: Yesterday my friend in his 335i was tailing me, and he said that both wheels literally came off the ground on a little bump on the freeway. It felt like that inside the car too, it rocked very violently. I placed a call to the SA and he said that all the parts should be in on Wednesday... Only question is keep the springs or go stock....

·
Registered
742 Posts
I bought the car from that dealership with the springs preinstalled. I had no idea it had springs untill they told me when I brought it in for service. The sales side and the service side do not talk to eachother.

So because I complained, they are going to put 4 new stock springs on and replace 1 broken shock. I just don't know whether I should say replace the shock only or have them do that and stock springs .... What do you guys think? :dunno:

Side note: Yesterday my friend in his 335i was tailing me, and he said that both wheels literally came off the ground on a little bump on the freeway. It felt like that inside the car too, it rocked very violently. I placed a call to the SA and he said that all the parts should be in on Wednesday... Only question is keep the springs or go stock....

That is great news!!!
Go for it and if I was in your shoes I would have them replace and the springs as well.
It is different if you had bought the springs your self and you knew there reputation and quality, so it is best for now get the standard items back on and try the car for a while and only time will tell.
You will be able to feel the difference between the handling ( before and after):)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Woa, Nellie! Dinan's warranty covers its products as well as any damage that they do to the car. There is absolutely no reason for you to be paying for anything out of pocket. There also is no reason for you to go back to stock springs unless you prefer them. Does your car have just the Dinan springs or the entire Stage II suspension system? If it is the latter, that is even more reason not to ruin its positive effects by changing to stock springs.

A few months ago, one of my front Dinan springs went bad, compressing too easily, producing a thunk. Dinan shipped a set of new springs overnight, allowing them to be installed before a track day.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
...Side note: Yesterday my friend in his 335i was tailing me, and he said that both wheels literally came off the ground on a little bump on the freeway. It felt like that inside the car too, it rocked very violently...
Don't think I'd be driving it in that condition.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts