BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies & Gents
Most of us now own cars approaching or exceeding 10 yrs old.
In short, the E34 M5 like the E28 is a modern classic IMHO.

Ive owned mine for nearly 5 yrs & the receipts ive amassed are painfull evidence of what it takes to run these things as everyday transport !

Despite the partial engine rebuild , the self levelling & all its pipe work replaced,not to mention all the various bushes, & suspension arms.
I know that I am not alone & many of you have been there & seen that.

My issue is the £500 GBP for a b****y damper !
I have done every corner on my car now. You all know how much cash we are talking here !

When I could not find a second hand os/f damper from all the salvage / dismantlers in the UK I must confess that I got a little angry & phoned up BMW GB to complain & ask why the price had not been revised to take account of the customer base that is now running this type of car, ie enthusiasts .
Customer care is an odd phrase because what you get is the absolute opposite. BMW GB said that they were not aware of any problem technically or pricing wise !. They went on to say that they used a system called PUMA to track issues of price & failures on particular models.
The gentleman in question went on to give me some old flannel about test & development programmes ! I listened to the garbled but well rehearsed B.S .

I let him finish & then explained that I earned my living as a Automotive test engineer & had worked on several vehicle programmes to Job1 plus 90 days including DB7 Vantage & that he may want to reconsider what he says to Joe public because we are not as daft as he seems to think we are !!!

I ask you all to CONSIDER complaining to the respective BMW "Customer care"
dept within your countries. Speak to Bmw Customer service in Germany who all speak very good english. The licence on the Boge dampers must be nearly up & the profit margin on these parts about 150 % so there is plenty of room for a price reduction.

I believe its long overdue for BMW to recognise that wear & tear parts like this on older BMWs must be revised.

Sorry for the rant but £2,000 plus 8 hrs to fit a set of these if an MOT test goes bad would technically write off numerous vehicles if the market value many insurers say the car is worth is to be believed...

Take care

·
Registered
426 Posts
Unfortunately I heard that BMW has just renewed the license for these dampers (unlike the steering box which they have allowed to lapse) so they can continue to rip us off. As the cars get older I think the price of the EDC replacement will result in the cars disappearing as it is just not economical except for the true enthusiasts. So I agree BMW should factor this into their `heritage consciousness`. Perhaps they dont want the E34 M5 do exist in the future (outside of their museum and a couple of exotic collections).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Let me "defend" BMW by an example. My friend renewed the self levelling dampers on his 535. He ordered the dampers straight from the Boge importer(using the Boge part# from the dampers) and they were marginally less expensive than the oem dampers. And these weren´t the same dampers you get from BMW since there wasn´t any BMW stamps on them.

Niclas

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
B6-523 said:
Let me "defend" BMW by an example. My friend renewed the self levelling dampers on his 535. He ordered the dampers straight from the Boge importer(using the Boge part# from the dampers) and they were marginally less expensive than the oem dampers. And these weren´t the same dampers you get from BMW since there wasn´t any BMW stamps on them.

Niclas
Niclas
I would say that The very fact that Boge sold the damper with very little difference in price would indicate that the licence franchise is very much in force here. To sell a part from a supplier that is under licence to an OEM supplier is very serious but if sold at a price not dissimilar to the OEM then there would be very little arguement as I have received 12 to 15 % discount on the damper struts in question.
I also have the benefit of working with Boge on an adaptive system on agricultural vehicle program. Even with my direct contacts I cannot find a way to get the parts at a sensible price.
What I can confirm however is the markup profit on manufacturing cost versus retail price & the figure of 150 % markup is accurate !! (almost to the Euro & cent)

Regards

·
Registered
261 Posts
farrel - I have an OSF EDC damper that wasn't leaking when I ditched the whole system in favour of Schnitzer (both N/S units were though). It's done 110K miles, so I can't offer any warranty but if you want it make me an offer. I'm not looking for much...

Cheers

Kurt

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
[email protected] what you are saying is understandable and common sense but it also
shows that you seem to be a newcomer to the BMW-'old-timer-scene' -
the sad fact is that BMW is a money making machine for their share holders
and NOT a bunch of car enthusiasts, even though there is the 'mobile tradition'-dept it still remains a fact that BMW is NOT interest in our OLD cars,
it is not only that prices for spares are high, it is also that they are not even
interested to sell them to us, many of us have experienced that YOU really have to PROVE to the dealer that the part you want really available and many
times you get nowhere unless you have the part-number -
except for my M5touring I also own a completely restored 3.0 CS-coupe (E9)
from 1975 and believe me I know what I am talking about -
-
if it is really true that the licence for the BOGE-dampers is re-newed that
wud be very bad news and one cud really wonder WHY BMW is doing this
except of course for the normal reasons, to make PROFIT for the share-holders -
-
on the subject of 'write off', our cars are written off a long time ago and have
entered the state where BMW has almost forgotten that they ever made them,
when I looked at the E61touring after the presentation, a BMW-sales-man asked me what car I had to trade with, when I told him that I own an E34 M5touring, his response was = there is no such thing !!!! (that was a BMW-Group car salesman NOT a Toyota-shop !!)
-
drive on ! :typing: :cheers:
-
if you really wish to make a complaint then you should address it directly to
the MOBILE TRADITION in Munich bcs your dealer is not likely to even pass it on - grrrrrrr

·
Registered
426 Posts
B6-523 said:
But the question is do you really think Boge would lower the price on the dampers with 150% when the license expires ?

Niclas
Apparently the ZF steering box can be had for around £800 instead of the £1,000 BMW were charging (now that the license has lapsed) if that was extrapolated to the EDC shocks its worth having. Every little bit helps..

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Karl
You make some very good points.
I have run my M5 everyday for 5yrs. It has given me a fair insight as to what it takes to run these things & to the credit of the dealer I use for parts, I am always given 12.5 % discount on average. Even so my bills for parts & service items are over £15K GBP
I guess that running a car this old everyday may be something I may need to reconsider.

Your experience with sourcing parts for classic BMWs is symptomatic of the Automotive industry when a model range has been out of production for more than 10 yrs.
The OEMs rarely re-run trim parts & can only cite one instance of this happening when Ford SVE & the Heritage dept were petitioned to re-run the
exterior trim parts for the RS500 Cosworth. They took cash deposits from the existing owners of the 400 odd cars left from the 496 production run @ Tickford & the front and rear splitters and bumper bars were re-run by Phoenix plastics of Germany.

I believe the renewed licencing agreement with Boge may have more to do with EDC still being a current feature on new BMWs (though vastly refined)
It may be that the EDC 111 system fitted to our cars is covered by the agreement generically ! Only a theory but I will try to find out more.

I have now replaced the damper as the only alternative was to Junk the EDC
& go for A Hartge or similar system.

Regards
Darren

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kurt Ramsden said:
farrel - I have an OSF EDC damper that wasn't leaking when I ditched the whole system in favour of Schnitzer (both N/S units were though). It's done 110K miles, so I can't offer any warranty but if you want it make me an offer. I'm not looking for much...

Cheers

Kurt
Thanks Kurt
After I threw my teddy out of the pram last week, I was forced to order a damper last Thursday !!
Thanks for the offer though.
My car has done 150k miles now. All my suspension & engine related maladies came after 100,000 miles.

Regards
Darren

·
Registered
118 Posts
M5e3438 said:
Apparently the ZF steering box can be had for around £800 instead of the £1,000 BMW were charging (now that the license has lapsed) if that was extrapolated to the EDC shocks its worth having. Every little bit helps..
Thanks for, even if unintentionally, proving my point.

Niclas

·
Registered
426 Posts
London Mike said:
I was quoted about £600 from Munich Legends last week for a replacement steering box rather than the £1,100 BMW want...
Happy to be corrected ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
While not disagreeing with the majority of the views in this thread, let's put things into perspective shall we?

First off, we're talking about cars which in the main are 10-15 years old.

Secondly, most of them have done well over 100,000 miles.

Thirdly, these things cost over £50k new and can now be bought for between £4k and £10k.

Fourth, I'm sure everyone looking to buy an E34 M5 does their homework thoroughly and is fully prepared for the high running costs.

Of course, I'll be the first one moaning on this very board when my shockers start to leak!!!!!!!!!!! :3:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts