BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my first post - and probably a bit of a numpty question;

Do all M5s have EDC?

The reason I ask is that although my LHD '94 M5 seems not to have it fitted (no adjustment from soft-hard) the OBC still pings on each trip to tell me 'EDC is not activated' which is mildly irritating.

And can I stop this?

Any infos much appreciated...

·
Registered
288 Posts
With your year of car I would have expected it to come with EDC, especially with the warnings being present. It could be a case where the previous owner has changed the suspension but not completely deleted the control gear.

MIKE.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I believe all 3.8 litre cars had EDC - the lack of a switch means you don't have the "Nurburgring" pack with the option of selecting a firmer program. Your warning light suggests your suspension has gone into default mode, and is in need of a diagnostic.

Best wishes
Anwar

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Welcome to the board :cheers:

All 3.8 cars came with EDC.
If you want to cure that message you'll need to get the fault codes
read so you know where the problem lies..

Always worth running through the fuses first though...

Regards,

Alan.

·
Registered
54 Posts
One likely culprit could be the rear wiring.

Symptoms;
If you drive off in the morning after about 3-4 miles the onboard computer Bong comes on and the
“Suspension not active” is displayed.
In many cases the wires between the rear sub frame and the car under body is pinched due to worn sub frame bushes.
Second place to check;
The wires at the plug from the rear angle sensor (Take the right hand rear wheel off, the sensor is the part that’s connected via a threaded rod about 4mm in diameter and shaped like a V, with ball joints at each end).
On my car, 2 of the 3 wires where broken about 30mm away from the plug.
A bit of soldering and heat shrink and my Bong disappeared.
If the wires are Ok, get BMW to read the memory out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys, not the answer I wanted - looks like I'm gonna have to get this checked out:sad1:

Will running the car with EDC not functioning damage/wear out any other parts?

And who would you recommend to look at it in the Camberley area?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Phil Crouch who is now in Marlow for a couple of weeks before going to Park Royal. Gary Woolacott in Rickmansworth and there are one or two others near Heathrow who can do the work!

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Will running the car with EDC not functioning damage/wear out any other parts?
No, but don't get excited and think it won't cost much.

:D

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Same warning EDC NOT ACTIVE will flag for :
Any of the EDC sensors on the vehicle that become non responsive.
Also :
Faulty control module or relay etc
Faulty SI Board.
System has one calibration sensor driving the integration of the
others.

I've repaired dozens of EDC equipped vehicles for customers.

Cheers
Farrell

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Same warning EDC NOT ACTIVE will flag for :
Any of the EDC sensors on the vehicle that become non responsive.
Also :
Faulty control module or relay etc
Faulty SI Board.
System has one calibration sensor driving the integration of the
others.

I've repaired dozens of EDC equipped vehicles for customers.

Cheers
Farrell

Any suggestion's on what would cause the message when the car has remained stationery for a while- as in some months, battery Changed (disconnected between start up's), start up and hey presto..bong...edc not active appears ?

Cheers.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Bringing back this old topic I was looking for a probably swap or "add" of the EDC III switch mode in the dash/center console when your earlier e34 M5 didn't bring it. So in few words, did anyone tried ever to add this EDC switch to a non factory equipped M5 switch mode selection? I would like to investigate furthere more on this subject (but can't find any wiring diagrams which would be very helpfull, only North American PDF files I have found and they are different for the EURO M5). Not sure if the EDC ecu would be totally different than the non EDC switch equipped vehicles? Maybe BMW kept the same EDC ecu in theirs production years in the e34 and just "jumped" few wires isnide the module an adding this switch will make it selectable?

That would be interesting to know and if could be possible to adapt/add this EDC switch.

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is a removable plastic cover just to the right (on my LH drive) on instrument panel;pry it off and you can fish out the 2 wires that fit the switch.I had to dig a little.I can't recall but the switch was about $50. or so.Interesting that all EDC cars didn't come with the switch just those optioned with the Nurburgring package.It's worth the effort.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thansk for the info. Now I need to locate the EDC ecu/module in the car to give it a check.

In the other hand, what are the P/N needed to complete the covering, switch, etc to have it like factory equipped EDC switch?

Would be this? (my interior in black/schwarz)

Number 20 on picture? I think the factory equipped brought single window for the switch instead of two windows?

·
10,456 Posts
edc switch goes up in dash, next to fog lamp switch

·
Registered
90 Posts
Look at Realoem.com:Elec. System,Steering column,various switches;Part # 61312253202,EDC switch.Price is listed at 110.63.

·
Registered
826 Posts
edc switch goes up in dash, next to fog lamp switch

You got any pciture of it? Or it goes where a semi square cover is tapped?

BTW...do I need some wiring harness? Or it's sopouse to be in there already=

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Where is the EDC ecu mounted?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts