BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, did a little searching but didn't find much.

I have been having a hell of a time with my suspension as some of you may know. I am working with Troy to hopefully get a low mileage set of shocks some time this year to troubleshoot other issues but over the weekend I had a strange occurrence.

I started the car and noticed my EDC button had one led on, which in its self is not unusual but the odd thing is I don't recall ever turning it on because typically I go all or nothing, M mode full, or everything off. Anyway I thought nothing of it until I started driving and magically the second light came on with out me touching it. Thats not normal, but to top it off, pressing the button does not do anything. It seems to be permanently on.

I haven't had chance to pull codes yet, but I am not getting any dash lights so I am not sure I will get anything.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Hey all, did a little searching but didn't find much.

I have been having a hell of a time with my suspension as some of you may know. I am working with Troy to hopefully get a low mileage set of shocks some time this year to troubleshoot other issues but over the weekend I had a strange occurrence.

I started the car and noticed my EDC button had one led on, which in its self is not unusual but the odd thing is I don't recall ever turning it on because typically I go all or nothing, M mode full, or everything off. Anyway I thought nothing of it until I started driving and magically the second light came on with out me touching it. Thats not normal, but to top it off, pressing the button does not do anything. It seems to be permanently on.

I haven't had chance to pull codes yet, but I am not getting any dash lights so I am not sure I will get anything.

any thoughts?
EDC module on it's way out?

You are still having that wheel wobble issue also?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the module is going out, should I expect to see any codes?

yea still intermittent wobble. ptech replaced the thrust arms and re balanced the wheels and tires which fixed the wobble at 70+ mph. but now its back to how it was back when I replaced the thrust arms last year, wobble at 49-55 mph. its ever so slight and annoyingly intermittent. I feel like I get way too much bump steer and a wandering feeling from the car at speeds over 45 all the time. all that is leading me to believe there is a problem with the dynamic steering or the power steering system. no clue how to test or verify an of that though.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
If the module is going out, should I expect to see any codes?

yea still intermittent wobble. ptech replaced the thrust arms and re balanced the wheels and tires which fixed the wobble at 70+ mph. but now its back to how it was back when I replaced the thrust arms last year, wobble at 49-55 mph. its ever so slight and annoyingly intermittent. I feel like I get way too much bump steer and a wandering feeling from the car at speeds over 45 all the time. all that is leading me to believe there is a problem with the dynamic steering or the power steering system. no clue how to test or verify an of that though.
EDC error would appear on the iDrive as I have had it before.

Chasing a wobble issue is a pain as I know a few people who have the slight wobble at 50ish mph.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
The EDC button completes a ground signal to an input in the switch module. This module then sends a CAN signal to the EDC module which shifts to the next mode. The EDC module then sends a CAN signal back to the switch module to activate the first LED.

In your case, it sounds as if something is either sticking the button down (failed spring return perhaps) or has shorted the switch contacts. Any chance anything was spilled on the center console?

I would disassemble the cover and look at the actual switches before anything else.

The EDC dampers are activated/adjusted by applying a current to a magneto-rheological module inside the shock. The failed (no current applied) position is full damping (full stiffness). As current is applied, the damping action is reduced. However, this would not cause the LED on the cluster to activate. Replacing the dampers won't help and is spendy.

Use INPA an monitor the switch cluster for digital values and I bet you will see the button is pressed.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I will pull it apart and check out the switch. i did have some funkyness with it when i pulled everything apart to wrap the trim but that was months ago, maybe something just took a while to wiggle loose.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i started her up at lunch and the LEDs were still on but now the button seems to be responsive again. probably just a failing switch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts