BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 00 e39 M5. I've reluctantly tried the adaptive reset via battery dis/ignition method but never really felt a difference. Today while detailing I started checking fuses and ended up removing ECU. After plugging it back in a took the car out not really expecting anything and was blown away how different the car drove and felt. I'm guessing that was the adaptive reset I was looking for or was it something else? I mean huge difference especially on the response.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Def not. I will say they didn't seem to last after city driving. I know when I'm trying to convince myself that a changed occurred and when I actually feel it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I own a 00 e39 M5. I've reluctantly tried the adaptive reset via battery dis/ignition method but never really felt a difference. Today while detailing I started checking fuses and ended up removing ECU. After plugging it back in a took the car out not really expecting anything and was blown away how different the car drove and felt. I'm guessing that was the adaptive reset I was looking for or was it something else? I mean huge difference especially on the response.
What is it that you’re feeling that’s leading you to believe it needs to be reset?

Down on power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. Car is running fine. I've just been detailing the entire car and wanted to see the ECU compartment. Pulled it after disconnecting battery and once I reinstalled it and went for a ride. I could tell a big difference but I'm sure it'll taper off. It was mainly the throttle response and low end torque that was different. Idk

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,510 Posts
In the FWIW department, my car was a no start project car. When I first started working on it I was unable to communicate with the DME, Peake code for hung diagnostic bus. I pulled and tested the DME relay which tested fine. When I replugged the relay I was able to communicate with the DME. So some kind of reset seemed to happen there.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I mean if the relay was off then removing it makes no real change to the DME. If it's intermittently sticking, then one can imagine the DME might be overheating or something by staying on far longer than it should.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the FWIW department, my car was a no start project car. When I first started working on it I was unable to communicate with the DME, Peake code for hung diagnostic bus. I pulled and tested the DME relay which tested fine. When I replugged the relay I was able to communicate with the DME. So some kind of reset seemed to happen there.
Right? I’m not imagining things but guess you had to be there. I know the feel of that car and there was a change

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,510 Posts
I mean if the relay was off then removing it makes no real change to the DME. If it's intermittently sticking, then one can imagine the DME might be overheating or something by staying on far longer than it should.
I know what you're saying but are you sure? The switched side of the relay is open when not powered but the input side is closed. So by pulling the relay you have now opened a closed circuit. Perhaps opening and closing it induces some kind of reset process in the ECU. Like resetting a modem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts