BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello M5 enthusiasts

Does anybody know something in this topic / any experience. I want to take a look on my eeprom and base maps.

I am interested in S38B38 Bosch DME.

Let's start with few question
1. Is the WINOLS sufficient sw to tune this ECU?
2. Do I have to get some layout - on order to show me the maps? Do you have any layout for this type of eeprom?? I mean something
what could indicate you where the maps are located inside the OEM software ?
3. What type of files do you use to modify (BIN, HEX .. etc)?
4. Do you have any advices for me (I am a rookie in this topic)?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hello M5 enthusiasts

Does anybody know something in this topic / any experience. I want to take a look on my eeprom and base maps.

2. Do I have to get some layout - on order to show me the maps? Do you have any layout for this type of eeprom?? I mean something

contact this man via email...

RUMA Tuning

He have remapped both my cars ,, S38B38 ALPHA-N and the B10 BT

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hello M5 enthusiasts

Yes it works, yo might also look for tunerpro.

You mean a Damos file or A2L file.

To know more about the ECU you should start here:
The Motronic Web Site

Both are possible, but I prefer a **.bin file.

Post your original file here and we both start id-ing the maps.

What kind of eeprom burner/reader do you use?

CHeers,
Tomba

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Tomba,

Thx for your reply. Soon after New Year I will provide here the file BIN and all required data of eeprom burner/reader device.

Does anyone here have any Damos file or A2L file for my DME ?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think for the beginning maps of fueling, ignition and rev limiter could be enough.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hex adres Map Size

<table width="347" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col style="width: 53pt;" width="71"> <col style="width: 159pt;" width="212"> <col style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> <tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt; width: 53pt;" width="71" height="17">$07282</td> <td style="width: 159pt;" width="212">Ignition map (PL)</td> <td style="width: 48pt;" width="64">12x16</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">$06ECC</td> <td>Injection (PL)</td> <td>12x16</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">$07437</td> <td>Dwell time</td> <td>7x12</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">$071C0</td> <td>Ignition (FL)</td> <td>6x16</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">$07180</td> <td>Ignition (Idle)</td> <td>3x8</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">$07410</td> <td>Injection (FL)</td> <td>16x1</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">$06E72</td> <td>Injection (Idle)</td> <td>4x6</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

PL = Part load
FL = Full load

Rev limiter and speed limiter still need to be searched. Try to make a xdf with tuner pro.

If you looked right in the website above (motronic.ws) you know that :
D0 = RPM
D5 = Load
D8 = Batery voltage

When I got more time I will search for the rest

- Acceleration enrichment,
- Coolant temp enrich.
- Air temp enrich
- Idle set points
- Rev limiters
- Checksums

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank very much for the map locations. Do you have also the break-points on the x and y axis for each map?

This is my ECU:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, but how to calculate decimal values to real rpm values?

The eeprom was tagged by 27C256 number.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Tomba,

At first I would like to thank you for your help / attention. Thanks for the PM but I can aswer you because I don't have enough quantity of written posts.

At the moment I found many maps (3D) and vectors (2D) but I still don'r know what is what. I still use only excel, I have to get WINOLS on my computer. Did you find something more? Rev Limiter etc?

How did you get the ratio for load calculation?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hey Tomba,

At first I would like to thank you for your help / attention. Thanks for the PM but I can aswer you because I don't have enough quantity of written posts.

At the moment I found many maps (3D) and vectors (2D) but I still don'r know what is what. I still use only excel, I have to get WINOLS on my computer. Did you find something more? Rev Limiter etc?
You can get a demo version of winols on the evc site. EVC electronic - The Tools For Chiptuning. You should use that program even in demo mode it offers you a good overview. Try to use tunerpro to!

Igntion and injection maps can be id-ied by there shape and decimal values in the maps. Ignition ~30-90 decimal numbers in it, injection ~128-190 (PL). Shape of a ignition map can be seen by:
- less advance when more load is applied (more load gives more mixture which is easier to burn)
- more advance when rpm rises : this due to a delay time of the mixture.
You can see some S38 specific marks on the ignition map, ignition rises till 2500rpm then falls back. this also happends @ 4500 rpm. Just check the torque curve and you will see why.

Injection is a different story. Since the MAF already measures how many kg you are sucking into the engine you only need to know injector flow and latency of the injector vs battery voltage to inject the right amount of fuel to get a mixture of AFR 14,7 / lambda 1. In other motronics you will see that the injection map(s) are floating near ~128 (= no correction). If the value is higher more fuel needs to be injected and visa versa. Its a correction factor NOT PWM or ms opening time. Al though rising them will enrich the mixture.

Here is a good quote from Mr Jim Conforti
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr></tr><tr><td class="vt-content" valign="top">
<cite>BMW site wrote:</cite>Motronic needs exactly three things to calculate LOAD.

1) A signal from the air meter, normalized to "Q" airflow in kg/hr

2) A measure of current engine rpm "n"

3) A programmed injector size constant "Ki" (K sub eye)

LOAD aka Tl (Tee sub ell) is calculated as:

Tl = Q / (n * Ki)

LOAD is not just a representation of cylinder filling, but the
theoretical Injector Time Open (Ti, Tee sub eye) needed to reach
stoich (Lambda= 1) with the current injector setup assuming that
the motor is "perfect".

Which it isn't, hence there are fueling tables which are used as
multiplicative corrections to LOAD to reach the actual Ti.

</td></tr></tbody></table>
How did you get the ratio for load calculation?
Since its a 8 bit system (=255 decimal) you can not go higher than 255 on the axis. Assuming that 255 = 100% load. 100%/255 * the decimal value in the axis colum = the laod. I am not 100% sure this is right but I see it in many cases.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I did found the rpm limiter and speed limiter (with help!) only need to verify them. Also the idle setpoints need verification.

It would run
-30 0 20 70 degree celcius
1360 1200 1040 800 rpm

that 800 is to low, for an S38B38 it should run on ~920 rpm.

I only found 1 adres like this whilde there should be more I think (AC on and off, etc)

Once I know more ill get back to you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried to find this info for dme175 m1.7 soft378 from motronic.ws but there was olny RPM(*40), ignition(*0,75-22,5). I need to know rest maps names and factor, offsets. Can you halp me?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts