BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into a new set of brake pads, front a rear, plus braided hoses and fluids. Its seems from doing a search that EBC have improved their pad technology and am interested to know who has used what recently for some fast road a light circuit use....not Vmax runs and Donnington thrashes.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Just checked recommedations.
For weight of vehicle, EBC red is a fast road pad.
They have improved immensely.
Yellows are in my Nissan, which is a track pad.
Once I deglazed them @ NS, they were great but are dead from cold.
Nissan is 200kg lighter than E34 M5.

Is there availability for ATE 4 piston caliper ?
I know there is availability for single piston sliding caliper of early cars, pre
June 1994.

Why braided hoses ?
If not for track where they consistute extra protection, why for road
where they become more of a service liability ?

Farrell

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There is availability so I am reliably informed and have been looking at a variety of brake sites and EBC seem to have improved their product offering since 2005. No more Mintex pads are being made for the E34 brakes so EBC is my first choice. My hoses needed replacing and @ £75 for some braided hoses I thought it would be worth a try. The car will see some track work, some ring trips but nothing too mad, so no need to call Movit yet!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Using Red Stuff on my track car at the moment - absolutely superb.

I'd stil get Pagid's for my M5 though - more proven.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pagid pads are also on the list and will do some research this week when compared to EBC Reds.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've been using Blue Pagids on the front axle of my floating-caliper car since 2006.

Good for road and track - more resistant to fade at higher speeds and temperatures.

Don't seem to break-down like the standard pads at higher temperatures - where I've literally 'burnt' the faces of the standard pads previously.

Also have added bonus of much less brake dust too.

Trade-off is a little less brake feel when cold, and of course - they're damn expensive. And you need to do more cooling-down laps to stop warping your disks - as they get worked harder and get a lot hotter. Learnt that the hard way. However, the disks can take it - as long as you cool them down properly.

Also means that repeated track use transfers more heat into the Brake Fluid - this also needs changing more often if you're committed in track use....

It gives the car an excellent level of confidence when on the track. Combined with PS 2s on 17" rims - (which I'll be running at the next 'ring trip in April), the car can out-brake and out-grip a lot of more track focused cars !

Still use standard rear pads.

I wouldn't use anything else now.

I should get a more track-focused car - just like this particular ///M too much, tho' !

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
and of course - they're damn expensive.
I knew BMW Mian Dealers want about £51 for a set of four front pads, so out of curiosity I visited Google for Pagid Blue's, as I've never used anything but the OEM pads on my 3.6.

Nearly fell off my chair! £151 to £174 plus delivery. I was expecting expensive to be double, but triple? Did make me jump. lol.

I will see if I can wrangle a set for my birthday in July...

Regards

Ivan

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pagid Blues RS4-2 are around £155 inc VAT for the pair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts