BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put on a manzo (m2) exhaust I purchased on eBay. It's a axle back, oval tip model for under $370 and free shipping. I had some concern around fitment since I read some old posts about a group buy many moons ago.
OBJECTIVE:
Find a low cost exhaust that makes a little more noise during WOT and improves the look by getting rid of those silly round pipes.
THE INSTALL:
I used 3 pieces of string with nuts tied on as plumb bobs. I placed 2 on the exhaust hangers and 1 on the end of the tips. I marked the factory exhaust using another plumb bob that aligned with the deepest part of the new exhaust that is swaged. This ended up being 3.75" ( really 4.25 but wanted some room to adjust ). The passenger side ended up being 3.75 too. Hung the exhaust like the many threads on the forum. The passenger side was perfect out of the box but the drivers side was too low by .5" and a little to the inside by .25" ( for me .0625" is my tolerance). So I took the exhaust off and used a dead blow to tweak the hangers ( up to the trunk makes it down down and down to the ground makes the tips go up)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Continued
Adjusted tips so they are out .25" in the middle of the inside pipe. Clean exhaust with windex and metal polish to remove finger prints when it gets hot.
OUTCOME:
Very happy with the sound, look and the cost.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Nice and glad this worked for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm thinking about buying this exhuast too. I was just wondering how much louder then stock is it? And did you have to trim the bumper at all?
Would you be able to get a sound clip?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not much louder than stock except for cold starts and when I let out the clutch in first. Other than that, I do not notice in the cabin unless the windows are open. It did break in a little after the second day of driving and I notice the raspy sound more. No drone inside at any speed or rpm.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was considering this as well, but I just got some cool looking tips off Ebay and had my local muffler shop cut the mufflers out. Great deal for me personally, it sounds great and the whole setup and installation costed me under $100.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I don't understand the need to go for cheap ebay exhaust. They sound just like stock, almost always incorrect fitment (i know someone on the board a while back same exhaust that had to do major modification and even then one side was still tilted higher and replaced the ebay exhaust eventually) and unknown quality (you might be actually losing hp and not gaining)

Other than the fact that the pipes are oval and imitation of the real thing (E-Race) why not just cut out the muffler and put some nice tips. This way you save weight, better sound, nice tips and you pay very little or step up and get the real thing and spend some cash for quality.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't understand the need to go for cheap ebay exhaust. They sound just like stock, almost always incorrect fitment (i know someone on the board a while back same exhaust that had to do major modification and even then one side was still tilted higher and replaced the ebay exhaust eventually) and unknown quality (you might be actually losing hp and not gaining)

Other than the fact that the pipes are oval and imitation of the real thing (E-Race) why not just cut out the muffler and put some nice tips. This way you save weight, better sound, nice tips and you pay very little or step up and get the real thing and spend some cash for quality.
Hey OP,

Thanks for posting as to the purchase and install of your new exhaust...it works for you, and that is all that matters.

As for me, I respectfully disagree with your statement about the stock exhaust and its "...silly round pipes." IMHO, the stock exhaust looks (and most likely performs and sounds) far better than what you have purchased and installed from eBay (I do love eBay, but I would not purchase anything like this, remove my stock exhaust, and replace with something that, in my opinion, looks extremely silly).

Everyone has different tastes and ideas as to modding their M5, and I realize that; however, I have to agree with Javacore99 (and many, many others here) in that going cheap on the exhaust itself is a big mistake (if you are purchasing an actual exhaust - i.e. mufflers or aka a "section 3"), versus removing the stock exhaust and installing new exhaust tips, or possibly saving until you have enough to purchase a name brand exhaust with a proven track record.

Thank you again for posting the install info. and the pics, and for allowing me to comment as well.

:fro: <---I always wanted to use this guy (eBay exhaust salesman)...LOL.

Cheers, :cheers:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I really like the look. Even if there is no horsepower gain. I can't justify paying 3k for an exhaust system that gets me 5-10 ponies. Heck, my Kenne Bell Blower for my Cobra was $2500 and that gained me 250 hp....now that's bang for the buck. Besides, if you don't like your purchase in a year or so you can always remove them. Thanks for the post

1 - 20 of 32 Posts