BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
How do you know the vehicle miles were rolled back? Does it show up on a vehicle history report? How do you know it was repainted? Just out of curiosity...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Its possible to check it by good technical. This one have clean Carfax . I know they rolled back because I seen this car for sale year ago with 190k miles with really poor condition.
Good paint reader cost 100$.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
In reality you could check the mileage in various modules via higher end diagnostic.

If you dive deep enough into the rabbit hole some can mask fake mileage quite well. But condition of the car speaks louder sometimes. And with how crappy the interior looked before, it's dam obvious the car was rolled. They just had an advantage of the mileage never being reported.

If someone was going to fake it, they should have at least swapped interiors and painted/heavily cleaned the underbody. This was so half assed and easy to spot.

·
Registered
94 Posts
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-bmw-m5-93/
Guys I tried explained everything in comments about this car but I can't do anything more if for some people more important is 42k miles on new cluster than original 190k mileage ....
Thank you for updating the community. I'm impressed by how well it presents in the auction pictures. I feel the seller knows more than they're claiming in the comments.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I can't believe BAT let that auction continue. Then again they've had a horrible run of E39 M5s lately.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for updating the community. I'm impressed by how well it presents in the auction pictures. I feel the seller knows more than they're claiming in the comments.
Hi. I am the seller's son. I work with my dad. We got this car mid October 2019. We ran a carfax, car ran well, needed cosmetic attention. We liked it, so we got it. It is funny you guys assume "the seller knows more than they are claiming in the comments". No, not true. You can believe me or not, I really don't care. I'm just here laying the truth. Legally, the car isn't a rollback. But thanks Kermit for your info. Realistically, it's all speculation since there is no proof on the car history reports. What can you do. Nothing sticks, at least not legally.

Had we googled the VIN, and saw this thread, we wouldn't have bought the car. Simply because it isn't worth our time.
I'm not here to get into an argument, seriously. As I said, believe me or not, it is entirely up to you.
Happy New Year folks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Prior to the auction discussed here, BaT had another car that was totaled and had it's title washed to not salvaged in Texas and the community got that auction ended. The total/title wash didn't show up in one vehicle history report but showed up in another. Another car recently just went through something similar to the one in this thread where it was listed here and last month (a year later) shows up at a Manheim auction with 60k fewer miles. In all three cases (well, maybe not the first one), I have a feeling that the current owners made good faith purchases and now perhaps are getting stuck. It's a jungle out there boys.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Prior to the auction discussed here, BaT had another car that was totaled and had it's title washed to not salvaged in Texas and the community got that auction ended. The total/title wash didn't show up in one vehicle history report but showed up in another. Another car recently just went through something similar to the one in this thread where it was listed here and last month (a year later) shows up at a Manheim auction with 60k fewer miles. In all three cases (well, maybe not the first one), I have a feeling that the current owners made good faith purchases and now perhaps are getting stuck. It's a jungle out there boys.
Are these owners not getting a vehicle history report? Carfax (or any online check) is usually pretty spot on. I’ve bought and sold a bunch of cars in my lifetime and have never come across any clean titled cars with grossly obvious rollback. Salvaged cars are another story, but clean titled vehicles have never been an issue (for me). That’s why these posts have me intrigued. I don’t want to get duped on my next purchase...

·
Registered
3 Posts
On the auction discussed here, it seems like the car spent most of it's life in New Mexico and for whatever reason did not generate much online vehicle history. Not all states or repair locations report in a manner that the vehicle history companies can collect. On the BaT auction, there was a vehicle history report included but it did not pick up the salvage history. A 2nd vehicle history report provided the full story. I can't speak to the car that went through Manheim as I didn't get as far as running a history report. I just googled the VIN and found the advert here showing much higher mileage.

The real story here is that you can't just rely on vehicle history reports.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This sickens me... a 44k mile M5 for 22k$, should raise immediate red flags, yes it’s not a more desirable face lift, maybe alittle less reliable / luxurious but they’d still be much more than in the 20s... it’s now ready and packaged for another buyer to get defrauded... how can we stop this from happening ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say to present the evidence to the dealer. About the most egregious thing they can do to jeopardize their license is to knowingly sell a rollback.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts