BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've discovered windex & paper towels clean my wheels to a spotless shine.

Kinda nice not having to drag out the wheel cleaner, water & brush.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
How do reach in to the other side of the wheel ?? And does the Windex get the brake dust and the road grime from the inner part of the wheel ??

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Be careful what you wash your wheels with. I'm sure you probably
researched it before you tried it. Windex isn't acidic with a ph level
of 10.7 however an unfortunate forum member's experience with
an acidic based cleaner (stupid dealership):

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102423&highlight=neez+paint

When I wash my car I always put a coat of wax on them. Makes them
easy to clean next time around.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

carlsturm said:
I'll have to try that wax trick !!!

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102423&highlight=neez+paint

When I wash my car I always put a coat of wax on them. Makes them
easy to clean next time around.
its called wheel wax. don't use car wax..

·
Registered
650 Posts
Wheel cleaning.

I have a special brush, shaped like a christmas tree, about a foot long and slightly flexible. Think it was branded Megiuars, but packaging re-cycled months ago.
With the standard M5 wheels it is quite easy to clean the outside and inner rims with this brush. It is necessary to move the car to reach the part behind the brake caliper, but no big problem.

I have found the wheels are easier to clean since I used a spray-on slippery silicone emulsion tire dressing product and some of it spilled over onto the rims. They now repel water and dirt very well.

I assume Windex is a domestic window glass cleaner, if it has a pH of over 10 it is quite alkaline. I guess it contains ammonia.
Wonder Wheels on the other hand is partly dilute Hydrochloric acid.

Aluminum is corroded by both acid and alkali, but alkalis can actually dissolve the alloy.
Best to be sure your wheel coatings are intact before you use either.

To make a tedious job a little easier, I sit on one of those wheeled seats that are sold for gardeners. Talking of tedious, I find cleaning the tail pipes is much worse than doing the wheels.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
When I wash my car I always put a coat of wax on them. Makes them easy to clean next time around.
When did that happen??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Whew......... That was a good one. I'm gonna take a shower now, worked up a sweat and I think pulled a ligament!:hihi:

jk....JK!!:blink: Your always working!:dunno:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

its called wheel wax. don't use car wax..
Sorry, I should've been specific. I use Klasse AIO on the wheels and
not a carnauba wax. I suspect carnauba won't last long due to
temperatures.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
When did that happen??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Whew......... That was a good one. I'm gonna take a shower now, worked up a sweat and I think pulled a ligament!:hihi:

jk....JK!!:blink: Your always working!:dunno:
Dammit Baller! My car is usually clean. Just happens that when I'm
at RPi it's usually in between washes...I swear.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do reach in to the other side of the wheel ?? And does the Windex get the brake dust and the road grime from the inner part of the wheel ??
:D - true confessions, I didn't clean the 'other side' of the wheel. Now you've shamed me into pulling out the bucket, wheel cleaner and attachments.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
:D - true confessions, I didn't clean the 'other side' of the wheel. Now you've shamed me into pulling out the bucket, wheel cleaner and attachments.
Peer pressure!!:7:

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
oops sorry, but really the wheel looks lousy when the inside of it looks like sh_t.....

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Windex is a mild product, but is not a dedicated wheel cleaner. It could cause damage that will only show up with long term use ouich

My favorite wheel cleaner is P21S. I used it for 10 years on my daily driver M3 :M5thumbs:

http://carcareonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=10401

·
Registered
650 Posts
Cleaning the backside (of a wheel)

It is no problem to push the brush through at an angle and remove all visible dirt from the inside rim.

See pic. and no the wheels have not been cleaned in the last 500 miles, but you can see they are fairly clean from the last session.

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
It is no problem to push the brush through at an angle and remove all visible dirt from the inside rim.

See pic. and no the wheels have not been cleaned in the last 500 miles, but you can see they are fairly clean from the last session.
That's the exact same brush I use, bought from your local Halfords by any chance? Near perfect for our wheels, I bought the proper wheel brush set from BMW but really not worth it, brissles too short and abrasive in my opinion.

M500AED just keep an eye on the rubber "nipple" on the end of the brush, when it starts to wear out replace the brush or you might end up scratching the inside of the alloy with the wire core.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you guys convinced me that Windex isn't the best option. Thx for input.

·
Registered
160 Posts
that's the same brush I use too! it's from Megiuars! it's pretty good and long enough to clean "the other side" of the wheel!!
but! just becareful with the steel wires in the middle, I find that if you press the brush too hard on the corners when you wash, the steelwires might come in touch with the wheel.. (press really hard.....)
Otherwise, that brush is really good, easy to clean outside and inside!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
coat the wheels with REJEX! It's the best for "wax" on the wheels or any other part of the car.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
coat the wheels with REJEX! It's the best for "wax" on the wheels or any other part of the car.
If it's good enough for aircraft, it's good enough for me :M5thumbs:
Skygeek sells a 16oz bottle for less money than a local auto supply sells an 8oz bottle :biggrinbounce:
http://www.skygeek.com/61002.html

If you really want to save, buy the gallon :hihi:
http://www.skygeek.com/61004.html

RejeX is excellent on wheels and exhaust pipes and glass and paint ....
Some fancy products like Zaino or Zymol can give a better shine, but the shine and protection does not last. The heavy rains (for California) this winter showed the durability of RejeX :applause:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts