BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now the project really starts to snowball.

While the exhaust is off (not a fun task, and all those simple exhaust gaskets are pricey) I'm thinking about doing the drivetrain - new clutch, freshen the trans and driveshaft, shift linkage, catch some leaks.

Question: Clutch options? Waiting to find out if the Alpina part is still available and the price. I'm sure the price will be mind blowing. What are my options? Can I use a stock 635 clutch? Can I use anything from anybody other than Alpina?

Next question I doubt anyone will know, but the guibo (flex disc, hardyscheibe, rubber disc/donut between the trans flange and drive shaft) is a special Alpina part. Amaxing. Any idea what the damn difference could be? Again, can I use anything standard, perhaps with minor modification? Someone has obviously run into this problem before, because they have machined and installed a stainles disc/spacer on my car, in lieu of the rubber piece! Unless that stainless is the Alpina part? I don't think so, and I'd like that out of there.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
669 Posts
Mike Sachs make the clutch kits for these - but for a 79 model - you may need to research more. My 85 did not have anything strange to deal with. Clutch, pp, Throwout Bearing

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, was just about to message you. Yes, that was the crux of my question. By 85, I think Alpina had settled down and started using more standard stuff, but in 79....? I don't know.

So what exactly did you order from Sachs? Standard clutch kit for an 85 635? M5 set? Or was sachs able to sell you the equivalent of the Alpina kit?

Any differences in the guibo/flex disc on your car? Alpina has part numbers for these on my car, which indicates some variation from the BMW part, but what?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hey, was just about to message you. Yes, that was the crux of my question. By 85, I think Alpina had settled down and started using more standard stuff, but in 79....? I don't know.

So what exactly did you order from Sachs? Standard clutch kit for an 85 635? M5 set? Or was sachs able to sell you the equivalent of the Alpina kit?

Any differences in the guibo/flex disc on your car? Alpina has part numbers for these on my car, which indicates some variation from the BMW part, but what?
unfortunately the way overpriced alpina clutch. But all parts were Sachs - I failed to keep record of the part numbers from the boxes - Anyone else have these?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amazingly, I'm looking through my older car's manual/parts list and the newer parts list (for your car) and they are the same part number!

So did you source through Sachs directly because it was a better price than through Alpina? How/through whom did you deal with Sachs?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think Sachs made the original but the disc may no longer be available. I would think one of the sport sets would work well in its place. I just bought the Sachs parts thru Haygood at Automobile Solutions.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I looked back through your older threads about this GAOwner, and I went to the Sachs webcat linked there and found the clutch kit listed there no problem. Is this the route you went? If so, how and through whom did you end up ordering?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. Via a previous thread here, I had gotten parts numbers from Sachs here http://webcat.sachs.de
This is a great resource. Lists Alpinas and everything!

GAOwner, who'd you go through to order yours? Remember what the damage was?

·
Registered
669 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts