BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up for a E92 M3 Sedan with the new MDCG or Dual Clutch Trans and my friend just signed up for a Nissan Skyline GTR.

Where i am they both cost the same (stupid Canadian Car pricing)...the M3 costs us $77500 moderately equiped and or about $82500 for the GTR.

We are both looking for some weekend fun...but when i read Car and Driver's article that the M3 Sedan did the 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds i was convinced i had the right car.

Reading some british car magazines recently i have come to the conclusion that the M3 is slow, understeers alot and lacks power at speeds over 60mph.

Could any of you shed some light about our beloved M3 and the new GTR to help me sleep better?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but other than the fact that the GTR is a Nissan, it pretty much takes the cake. It has supercar performance and good looks. It will smoke the M3 in all aspects (other than probably build quality and comfort), and I'm an M lover. That being said, I do not know because I havent had personal experience with the car, but from everything I've read, it's the real deal.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Humm... Not sure this is helpful. The GTR is a beast and will eat up an M3 based on what I have seen printed. 0-60 is about 3.5 in a GTR.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sorry to say but....

The GTR will smoke the m3 in just about every performance category....

This truly saddens me,....and I hope if and when the CSL comes out, it wins back a little //M glory.

·
Registered
649 Posts
considering the GTR spanked the 911 turbo, you can be sure your M3 will not take your buddies GTR but that being said I would take the M3 over the GTR anyday, a car should be more then just a speed monster...:blabla:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm with everyone above, the new GTR will hand the new M3 it's a**

Yes, it is a Nissan, and as fantastic and plastic as it may be, under the hood and in that drivetrain lay something mighty wicked indeed!!!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Sorry, but you will have a long loss sleep after you race your friend's GTR. A lot of people now has suspected their under rate hp claim of 480hp or so.

Imagine. what GTR did to 997TT around the ring and this awd still can do 0-60 in 3.xxsec.yawnnnn

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The GTR is a monster. Power is underrated. The motors are dyno'ing 530 to 550 bhp. I feel it is ugly but it is a ballsout performer.
Sorry to say the new M3 has no chance in hell.
Wait till they start tuning the GTR's and begin massaging the ECU's.
It should be extremely tuneable.

Cheers, M5Ranger

·
Registered
50 Posts
I test drove the M3 manual when it first came out. I must say it's a nicely built car with all the details that you would expect from a M car (I personally have a M5). Power wise, it's got a good range of torque within the available the rpm and it should be a fun car to drive with its handling. However, it's not a hardcore race car but simply it's a very good quality everyday coupe.

I have a R35 GTR. It's extremely fast, handles well, amazing stereo system, nice quality interior from a Japanese car standard. From a $ point of view, the GTR worths every single cent.

To summarize, I don't think they are a direct rival to each other but either one is an extremely fun car to drive but GTR's fun can be extended with lots of modifications coming along.

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Wow, its extremely sad to be talking about another coupe (very close in price) coming out on top against an M3. I guess thats what happens when you've had a target on your back for 20+ yrs.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Nothing to be ashamed of. Even 997 GT3, R8 and Z06 are having trouble against the GTR.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The GTR is a monster. Power is underrated. The motors are dyno'ing 530 to 550 bhp. I feel it is ugly but it is a ballsout performer.

Cheers, M5Ranger
I agree 100% - these cars will be reaching 4-digit HP numbers in no time!

·
Registered
501 Posts

Cheers, M5Ranger

Juan,

we know who will be tuning them here....:hihi:

There was an article I read that Amuse Powerhouse has already cracked the ECU that was supposed to be impossible.. They increase boost to 18psi and the GTR is making 600+ hp at the wheels.

They did have concerns about the drivetrain at 600rwhp??

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wow, its extremely sad to be talking about another coupe (very close in price) coming out on top against an M3. I guess thats what happens when you've had a target on your back for 20+ yrs.
Quite true but the GTR went after cars like the Z06 and 911 Turbo not the M3. Nissan wanted to make a statement and boy did they ever.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I just signed up for a E92 M3 Sedan with the new MDCG or Dual Clutch Trans and my friend just signed up for a Nissan Skyline GTR.

Where i am they both cost the same (stupid Canadian Car pricing)...the M3 costs us $77500 moderately equiped and or about $82500 for the GTR.

We are both looking for some weekend fun...but when i read Car and Driver's article that the M3 Sedan did the 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds i was convinced i had the right car.

Reading some british car magazines recently i have come to the conclusion that the M3 is slow, understeers alot and lacks power at speeds over 60mph.

Could any of you shed some light about our beloved M3 and the new GTR to help me sleep better?
GTR is far faster in all areas but the M3 is a classier car, in my opinion. Also, a naturally aspirated engine producing more than 100bhp/liter is a joy to behold. Don't sweat it, just roll with your bud in convoy- as a two-ball you'll demolish anything in your path. (unless you meet an M5 on the freeway:biggrinbounce:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
E92 M3 vs GTR

I agree it is a classier car and it looks great compared to the patch work GTR job.

I hope that Hamann, AC Schnitzer, Alpina and Dinan aftermarket enhancements will make me feel better. So in about a couple of years a Dinan supercharger will bridge the gap...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I agree it is a classier car and it looks great compared to the patch work GTR job.

I hope that Hamann, AC Schnitzer, Alpina and Dinan aftermarket enhancements will make me feel better. So in about a couple of years a Dinan supercharger will bridge the gap...
They (Dinan) will not S/C the E92 M3... They will do a 4.7 or 4.8 liter stroker motor and guess 520-550 hp. Cost ****estimated $24,999****

****estimate means just that, maybe less but this is just my guess based on Dinan's pricing history.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts