BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and found no info.

Does the new M3 have Charcoal Filters like my M6? I don't have the car here at home at the moment or I would investigate.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I did a search and found no info.

Does the new M3 have Charcoal Filters like my M6? I don't have the car here at home at the moment or I would investigate.
i was just reading a thread on the E60M5 forum, and they said that on the new M3 the charcol filters are intergrated with the filter so as not to be removed like the M5 or M6....ehhhhh sucks to hear thatgrrrrrrr

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I just disassembled my airbox and saw the integrated dual layer air filter element. The regular element on the outside layer and charcoal filter on the inside layer. It is a conical type filter, but more squarish. I will post the pics I took a little later.

But I have to say, BMW did a very good job on airbox design on the new M3. It is a ram air type setup. It has intake tubes running to the front grills as well as down to the lower air dam. It also has a functional opening in the hood that should keep the fresh, cool air flowing through the box. ALthough it looks like this is not a pressurized system because the air will flow in through the intake tubes and be sucked out by passing air over the hood. More designed to flow fresh, cool air than ram air effect from what I see. I think it would be hard to improve upon the design other than developing filters without the CF integrated.

Post pics later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts