BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in urgent to decide a purchase of a E90;
Bi-Xenon seems to be a must , now
Need help to advise whether it is worth to get Adaptive (active) steering option? The R&T test report mentioned that this option will have a safety advantage in stablising the steering direction when over rough ground.
Need more details of its pros and cons
Pls send link
thanks

cnt

·
Registered
283 Posts
Do you care about steering feel and weighting and feedback?

Or are you simply interested in precision and efficiency?

The active steering is fast and accurate, but has inconsistent weighting (servotronic) and lacks feedback (little information concerning the behaviour of the front contact patches).

You need to drive them yourself. Most people I know are better off with the Active Steering, but drivers concerned with purity and feel are better off with the standard unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Opposite_Lock said:
Do you care about steering feel and weighting and feedback?

Or are you simply interested in precision and efficiency?

The active steering is fast and accurate, but has inconsistent weighting (servotronic) and lacks feedback (little information concerning the behaviour of the front contact patches).

You need to drive them yourself. Most people I know are better off with the Active Steering, but drivers concerned with purity and feel are better off with the standard unit.
Sam,
As I am out date with BMW recent years, and I learned that this adaptive steering option is copied from 645i and the 5 series; which does not cost much to add as an option yet have maximum comfort for day-to-day. Would like to know how much difference with or without in terms of comfort and safety. (FYI,I am driving a C55 with parameter steering option , guess it is the same purpose and more or less get used to the 'cons' yet inceased comfort in all parking and driving situations.)
cnt

·
Registered
283 Posts
cntlaw said:
Sam,
As I am out date with BMW recent years, and I learned that this adaptive steering option is copied from 645i and the 5 series; which does not cost much to add as an option yet have maximum comfort for day-to-day. Would like to know how much difference with or without in terms of comfort and safety. (FYI,I am driving a C55 with parameter steering option , guess it is the same purpose and more or less get used to the 'cons' yet inceased comfort in all parking and driving situations.)
cnt
What BMW's Active Steering does is change the actual RATIO of the steering system. So at lower speeds, it will take LESS movement of your wheel to gain the same amount of steering lock. So when you're parking, you don't have to turn so much and end up with less fumble.

It also comes with servotronic assistance, which changes the WEIGHT of the steering. The steering will feel lighter when you're parking and heavier when you're on the highway.

If you like comfort, this is a great system.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Am thinking of buying a 2002 m3, does it have the servotronic system?
Not interested in adaptive steering. just in the servotronic

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
don't think servtronic is available on the M3. Those big, meaty tires are heavy in the parking lot the first time you are in the M3, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mad_Al said:
Am thinking of buying a 2002 m3, does it have the servotronic system?
Not interested in adaptive steering. just in the servotronic
I thought BMW's Active Steering option implies both 'adpative steering' and 'servotronic'? Or is that not so?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vndkshn said:
active steering in the E90 is getting awesome reviews from every mag I have seen it in... I would get it.
just dropped a deposit for a body color code 668 (pure black) and black interior brushed aluminium , 330i Hong Kong standard specification, plus adaptive steering and Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights. ( no iDrive, no Comfort Access )

Production is yet to be confirmed (Nov/Dec); delivery will be Jan/Feb 2006.
Bingo! thanks for for all helped

1 - 11 of 11 Posts