BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having issue took to bmw 2 owner cars outta warranty replace the smg unit now working on starter they are telling me. To replace the presssure accumulator but seeing a lot of post about changing smg motor my mechanic say i don't need to change the pressure accumulator but after he fix throwing yellow and red cogs now she is stuck got a new battery and new clutch I think it's the motor that might need change because this happen before and my mechanic is like for she is not charging up for for some reason... Shell drive fine for a while then she throw the yellow and red cogs then he'll charge the clutch and then she's be fine for a while then boom more cogs mechanic had worked a bmw for 20 years so ithink he know his stuff ...new to this bmw life already been in the shop more then the road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine is a 6spd so I can't offer specific guidance, but being new to BMWs (and this one in particular), here are a few things to consider:

• The type of experience your mechanic has is more relevant than length of experience. They could have a ton of experience working on e36 M3s that won't really apply to the technology in these cars. You want someone who has lots of experience with BMWs from '05 on (S85, S65, S62 engines) as this will be the most relevant to your car.
  • Even with a good mechanic, nobody is going to look out for your interests on these cars better than you. I can all but guarantee that your issues have been discussed in detail in other threads and I'd encourage you to really do your research so you can ask relevant questions instead of just hoping your mechanic knows his stuff. Try also checking the e60 M5 forums as this is the same transmission.
  • These cars are notorious for attracting owners who were enthralled by the V10 engine (for good reason) but then did not keep up on the maintenance (it's much sexier to spend $3k on an attention-getting exhaust than to spend on preventative maintenance). Owning any M car (especially these) that hasn't been regularly serviced is not for the faint of heart/wallet, especially if you are not doing your own maintenance.
In short, call around to a few reputable independent BMW shops and ask about their experience with the SMG III trans. My initial hunch is that you don't have the right mechanic but that could be totally off-base. Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
First you need to mention what are the codes she is throwing, also your mechanic has to have specialized daignostic software like Ista/Inpa to do adaptation if you disturbed the hydraulic or clutch system, without this information provided by the software you will not get effective support to help solve your problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts