BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read there isn't a whole lot of space in the back seat of an M6, but I'm just trying to gauge if it's at least comparable to an E46. While it's not exactly comfy, my two kids (8 and 9) fit well enough in the M3 that we can take trips that are a few hours long without much complaint. I was thinking of moving to the M6 rather than the M5 because I have, and want to continue to have a convertible, but if the back seats have less leg room than the E46 I will have to figure out a new plan.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Lets just put it this way...four 5'10 people can easily sit in the M6

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow! This is phenomenal news and contrary to all the posts I read about how you can only fit amputees in the back. Sounds like there is actually more room than the E46. Thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Wow! This is phenomenal news and contrary to all the posts I read about how you can only fit amputees in the back. Sounds like there is actually more room than the E46. Thanks!
It really depends on how you drive. I need my seat all the way back so long trips with someone behind me, even my kids are out of the question. If you are comfortable with the seat even 3 inches forward you'll be OK. Honestly, I love my car and you will love it to. Just try it with the family before you commit, so you don't have any surprises later.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm 1.8m, my wife is 1.73m and my daughters are 1.7m and 1.5m. Last year we drove about 6000km during our holiday. There were some complaints, but I chose not to listen to anything but the V10:). And we drove up to 1100km/15hrs in one day.

·
Registered
463 Posts
oh boy... im not sure youre going to want to put them in the back seat... again like roseng said, if you like to sit back there will be no room, im a relatively short guy 5'9 and my gf is tiny 5'1 and if we have 4 in the car and i need to sit her behind me it is a real pain in the ***** for me to drive comfortably.... on a 3600mi trip, if i were your daughters i would expect one hell of a big present at the end... IMO anyway

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm 6', my daughter sits behind me as she is the shortest at 48", she's a bit smooshed as it is in the M3, but as long as it's not any worse than that, then M6 is on the short list. She just needs to stop growing.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I cart my grandkids around all the time, have taken relatively long trips (4 hrs) without any problem. I'm just under 6ft and like to drive with the seat back reclined. My wife has a new 435i Msport and that is fine also. The kids always want to go with me so that may tell you something about the backseat room being a non-issue.
Bill

·
Registered
152 Posts
My brother has an e46 m3 and the rear feels larger because of the indent in the roof which gives the impression of more headroom. I think the e46 rear bench is possibly lower and feels less plush possibly contributing to perceived roominess. Four adults about 5'9 could fit in the m6 for about 20-30 mins max... it's too cramped for a long ride.

·
Registered
108 Posts
As Troy mentioned... the M6 backseat is noticeably smaller than the e46 M3. With the long bay for the motor, deep trunk for golf bags and flattened roof line for a stream lined profile... the backseat definitely suffers. I would say no one over 5'5" can fit back there "comfortably", children should be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
As Troy mentioned... the M6 backseat is noticeably smaller than the e46 M3. With the long bay for the motor, deep trunk for golf bags and flattened roof line for a stream lined profile... the backseat definitely suffers. I would say no one over 5'5" can fit back there "comfortably", children should be fine.
This is the sort of comment that confuses me. I don't see how it could be noticeably smaller than the e46 and also sit somebody 5'5"ish. There is almost no room for my 48" tall daughter behind the driver in the e46 (and I don't sit with my seat all the way back). I think I will need to find an actual 6 series in my area and see for myself (unless somebody that's around 6' tall has a pic of their kid in the back behind the driver :))

·
Registered
648 Posts
I am 5'10". My kids are roughly the same size as yours. All I can say is that after a few months of owning the M6, I ended up getting an X3 to transport the kids around. I thoroughly enjoy the M6 convertible, however for semi-regular transportation of 4 people it is not great.

I will also say that, this is absolutely the most enjoyable car that I have ever had. I have never kept a car for 3 years, and now I am closing in on 5 years of owning the M6.

Reactions: rawbar

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I find that the little ones who cannot drape their legs beyond the perimeters of the car seats-in other words-their legs are straight out from the seat; have a little trouble behind me.Little guys that are like 48 inches have legs that bend down over the seat so there is no problem. It really isn't a "family car", but we use it as such. Bought an X5 earlier but that really had not much more room save for the 3rd row.
Crap, I used to tote my kids around in 911 turbos and they were fine.
Bill

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am 5'10". My kids are roughly the same size as yours. All I can say is that after a few months of owning the M6, I ended up getting an X3 to transport the kids around. I thoroughly enjoy the M6 convertible, however for semi-regular transportation of 4 people it is not great.

I will also say that, this is absolutely the most enjoyable car that I have ever had. I have never kept a car for 3 years, and now I am closing in on 5 years of owning the M6.
Aren't the rear seats in the convertible smaller than the coupe? or atleast that was the case in my E46 M3 convertible.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts