BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum and just wondering what steps I could take to keep an 06 M6 coupe in pristine condition. I don’t actually own one yet but my friend is selling one with 80k miles and cosmetically it appears to be in great condition and for only $10k I don’t wanna pass it up.

I really just wanna know if I buy it what are the first things I should get done? I’ve heard some nasty things about the rod bearings (which he tells me are still original and haven’t been replaced), and something about the SMG transmission needed replaced/repaired. Is there anything else I should look into? I am a “spirited” driver so if anyone has any general tips or words of caution to go by when owning an S85 engine please let me know!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hey buddy!

1st thing you should do is buy it.
2nd thing you should do is Rod Bearings and High Pressure Vanos line. Now is your time to check the oil pump and if your pocket stretches then replace this with the updated version found in later cars.
3rd thing you should do is start using Redline 5w50 oil (or any quality brand 5w50 oil) instead of castrol 10w60 unless its still under warranty.

These were $100k + cars so allow for maintenance like:

Throttle actuators x 2
4 x camshaft sensors
Smg pump or smg pump motor
Clutch / flywheel
Approaching 100k I'd look at freshening up the suspension and bushes.

If the fuel pump and or filter are still original also consider changing in your ownership.

Other than that you should be all good to go!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts