BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2005 model E63 M6.
I cannot measure the oil level in my vehicle. Although I followed the procedures, I was not successful.
Today I replaced the sensor with the original oil level sensor, but still cannot be measured.
When connected to the device in the service, there is no fault record.
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-28 at 15.58.50.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-10-28 at 15.58.36.jpeg
What do you recommend ?
Could updating software be a solution?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Use the stack button to get the reading,,push it once.
Q why your rpm so high not normal ?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hold the BC button while the engine is hot on a flat surface but it does not measure. I changed the oil level sensor still the same I'm going crazy. Rpm is always mine at 800-900 rpm.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I hold the BC button while the engine is hot on a flat surface but it does not measure. I changed the oil level sensor still the same I'm going crazy. Rpm is always mine at 800-900 rpm.
It should not.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
what should be normal Could it therefore be unable to measure?
You need O2’s and cats adaptations.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
TYR -
I think I have the answer for you, as the same thing happened to my 2010 E63 M6 6-speed coupe several months ago. I took it in to AutoBahn (formerly Dinan Engineering) for an oil service, as the oil was reading a quart low. They did the oil change, changed a seal on the oil pan, and all of sudden the car would not read the oil level. Although the timing was suspicious, they finally figured out the problem. Our cars have two oil pumps, one one each side, to send the oil across the engine during hard G-cornering. One of the 10-year old pumps had given up the ghost. They figured it out when they put the back of the car on the lift and tilted it, and could see the oil level. They had never seen this before, and BMW USA was no help, but the pulled the left pump, replaced it, and it was fixed.

I'm pretty sure that's what's going on with your car. I probably butchered the description, but your mechanic can call Erin at Dinan/AutoBahn at 650-962-9401 for the straight poop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TYR -
I think I have the answer for you, as the same thing happened to my 2010 E63 M6 6-speed coupe several months ago. I took it in to AutoBahn (formerly Dinan Engineering) for an oil service, as the oil was reading a quart low. They did the oil change, changed a seal on the oil pan, and all of sudden the car would not read the oil level. Although the timing was suspicious, they finally figured out the problem. Our cars have two oil pumps, one one each side, to send the oil across the engine during hard G-cornering. One of the 10-year old pumps had given up the ghost. They figured it out when they put the back of the car on the lift and tilted it, and could see the oil level. They had never seen this before, and BMW USA was no help, but the pulled the left pump, replaced it, and it was fixed.

I'm pretty sure that's what's going on with your car. I probably butchered the description, but your mechanic can call Erin at Dinan/AutoBahn at 650-962-9401 for the straight poop.
Hello David,
I think you have a very important observation. Didn't you have any fault records in your car? This oil pump broke down and needs to be replaced? BMW E60 E61 E63 E64 E90 E92 M3 M5 M6 OIL PUMP PN 7834496 | eBay

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello David,
I think you have a very important observation. Didn't you have any fault records in your car? This oil pump broke down and needs to be replaced? BMW E60 E61 E63 E64 E90 E92 M3 M5 M6 OIL PUMP PN 7834496 | eBay
No faults, which they explained as being due to 99% of faults concerning the pollution control and fuel injection systems, as opposed to the oil under racing conditions system. They had never seen this failure before (likley due to the fair rarity of E63 M vehicles - I think there may be extant about 180 or so non-tracked 2006-2010 6-speed M6 coupes world-wide). They started by replacing the oil sensor (no charge when this didn't fix the issue), then a few other things. Then the mechanic took it out for a brief ride, and on a hard corner the oil sensor came to life. So he took it back to the lift, and tested it with the rear hoisted vs the front hoisted, and then told me it was almost certainly (by deductive reasoning) one of the two lateral G-force oil pumps. I took the plunge (labor pricy, parts not so much, and they gave me the BMW CCA discount on both parts and labor, because they are mensches), and that fixed the problem.

I bought the car a bit over 2 years ago with 66K on the car, but only 6K on a brad new BMW-installed engine, transmission and clutch. The two lateral G-force oil pumps were not replaced, so they had 10 years and 70K miles on them when one of them failed.

I drove a 1998 E36 M3 5-speed sedan (in Technoviolet) for 20 years, and the first car i ever bought was a 1971 2002 (purchased i 1973 with 23K miles when I was an undergraduate at Cal). At 64, I decided I wanted a car with a bac-up camera and blue-tooth, with the caveat that it needed to be at least as much fun to drive and as quick and good handling (and with 3 pedals) as my M3. I saw the 2010 M6 the one month it was advertised by the original owner in the Roundel, and it was just 28 minutes north of me in SF. Some might say I over-paid at $40K (but only 6K on new engine, rans & clutch!), but this is my forever car - I love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pure coincidence. The oil sensor and alternator share the same harness. Bet they moved the harness when replacing the pump and it got 'fixed'.
flacoramos - are you referring to your car, or mine? Mine was clearly neither the oil sensor nor the alternator harness - one of the two oil pumps was dead, and replacing it fixed the issue. I have been using Dinan/AutoBahn since 1999, and have full faith and trust in them.

·
2,504 Posts
Your car. If you look at the wiring diagram you'll see the oil pump has nothing to do with the oil sensor. When my pump died my sensor worked just fine, and I know @Alan Arnesen just this and same story.

Without inpa/ista hooked there's no way to know what the oil sensor was reporting. We'll never know.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Pure coincidence. The oil sensor and alternator share the same harness. Bet they moved the harness when replacing the pump and it got 'fixed'.
Agreed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No faults, which they explained as being due to 99% of faults concerning the pollution control and fuel injection systems, as opposed to the oil under racing conditions system. They had never seen this failure before (likley due to the fair rarity of E63 M vehicles - I think there may be extant about 180 or so non-tracked 2006-2010 6-speed M6 coupes world-wide). They started by replacing the oil sensor (no charge when this didn't fix the issue), then a few other things. Then the mechanic took it out for a brief ride, and on a hard corner the oil sensor came to life. So he took it back to the lift, and tested it with the rear hoisted vs the front hoisted, and then told me it was almost certainly (by deductive reasoning) one of the two lateral G-force oil pumps. I took the plunge (labor pricy, parts not so much, and they gave me the BMW CCA discount on both parts and labor, because they are mensches), and that fixed the problem.

I bought the car a bit over 2 years ago with 66K on the car, but only 6K on a brad new BMW-installed engine, transmission and clutch. The two lateral G-force oil pumps were not replaced, so they had 10 years and 70K miles on them when one of them failed.

I drove a 1998 E36 M3 5-speed sedan (in Technoviolet) for 20 years, and the first car i ever bought was a 1971 2002 (purchased i 1973 with 23K miles when I was an undergraduate at Cal). At 64, I decided I wanted a car with a bac-up camera and blue-tooth, with the caveat that it needed to be at least as much fun to drive and as quick and good handling (and with 3 pedals) as my M3. I saw the 2010 M6 the one month it was advertised by the original owner in the Roundel, and it was just 28 minutes north of me in SF. Some might say I over-paid at $40K (but only 6K on new engine, rans & clutch!), but this is my forever car - I love it!
Hi David, I think you have a very nice car.
I wish you to use it without any accident. Let's see what you said in my mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello,
How about updating the car's software?
My master suggested such a method. If you notice in the first image, the engine oil menu is not displayed on the monitor screen.

If there was a problem in the cable harness used in common with the alternator, wouldn't it create a fault record?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your car. If you look at the wiring diagram you'll see the oil pump has nothing to do with the oil sensor. When my pump died my sensor worked just fine, and I know @Alan Arnesen just this and same story.

Without inpa/ista hooked there's no way to know what the oil sensor was reporting. We'll never know.
@flacoramos,
I am sure that with your car, the issue may have been a wiring issue. But that was not the case with my car. They checked the BSDI (bit send data interface), and it was perfect with no issue, ruling out any wiring or harness problems. Just to gild the lily, they replaced the oil sensor, and that didn't fix the issue (they did NOT charge me for the new sensor.)

Our engines are modified racing engines (similar to some Porsche engines), and are semi-dry sump. They are not completely "dry-sump" like a true racing engine, because that precludes ever sensing the oil level, which is a problem for a typical vehicle that costs >$100K.

So the low-pressure pump/valve sends oil thru the engine, and also sends oil to the high-pressure pump (VANOS) to send oil at high-pressure (75-150 bar) at speed/high rpm. This is why the oil sensor only works at idle, because at anything above idle, the sump is dry (no oil reaching the sensor at the back of the sump, so no reading).

So they lifted the front of the car on the lift, sending all the oil to the back of the sump, and the oil sensor worked. They drove the car off the lift, and idled it, and the sensor did not work. They deduced that the valve in the low-pressure pump MUST be opening/working at speed, or else all of the lights would have been going on as the VANOS would not be getting the oil, and the fail-safe would have been kicking in, turning off the engine. Instead, my car was driving great - ergo, the low-pressure pump must be working at above idle, but sticking/not working at idle speed, hence no oil sensing. The replaced the low-pressure pump/valve, and the problem was solved.

I am about 100% sure that that despite your knowledge of the wiring diagram, that the harness had nothing to do with my issue. It was simply that at idle speed, no oil was getting to the sensor (eg, it was a
dry sump).

Best,

David (I'm a pretty good endocrinologist, but far from an expert mechanic, although I do appreciate well-made cars. The above is my translation of what Andy, the truly expert BMW mechanic at AutoBahn/Dinan told me).

TYR, hope this helps. I suggest that that if oil sensor does not work, you have them lift the front of your car. If the oil sensor now works, the fault is likely the low-pressure pump/valve. If it doesn't work, it could be the sensor, or something else, but not the low-pressure pump. A cost-free diagnostic test......

·
Registered
604 Posts
Omg I love this forum. I was just sitting thinking let me go on the forum and check my old post with the exact issue. And randomly stumbled on this. David! My car has this exact issue right after an oil change. Can you give me the part number? I read you said there are two pumps while I’m already in there I don’t mind changing both as preventative maintenance. Mine is a 2008 6 speed M6 with a new motor 15K miles ago from bmw haha.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Omg I love this forum. I was just sitting thinking let me go on the forum and check my old post with the exact issue. And randomly stumbled on this. David! My car has this exact issue right after an oil change. Can you give me the part number? I read you said there are two pumps while I’m already in there I don’t mind changing both as preventative maintenance. Mine is a 2008 6 speed M6 with a new motor 15K miles ago from bmw haha.
You are clearly much more of a motorhead than me! I replaced the head gasket on my 1st beemer, my 1971 2020, but wouldn't dream of working on my M6 (lack of confidence, as well as lack of garage, lift, appropriate tools, etc.).

Can't find my receipt, but if you call Erin at what used to be known as Dinan (650-962-9401), I am sure she will tel you. Let her know that I recommended that you call (David B. Karpf, MD).

Good luck! You have a rare beast - I suspect that there only about 187-or-so 6-speed E63 coupes left on the road. Mine is Status Gray - what color is yours? I'm only the 2nd owner.

Best,

David

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi David,
I think you mis understood when I said “while I’m in there” I meant the shop who is doing the work haha. Although if I had a lift I’d love to learn and do it myself. I’ve taken off the bumpers mainly cosmetic stuff and some other parts that didn’t require a jack but that’s about it.

I’ll give him a call tomorrow thank you. It’s funny to me. The fix makes sense but when I spoke with my tech just because there wasn’t a fault he doubted that this would work.

Thank you, I really hope this works. The feeling I got when I read your earlier posts made me excited to keep working on the car again. I was thinking I would have to park it for a few years until I had the time and money to throw at it to fix it.

First owner all the way from 2008 just in time for the LCI models and yea the 6 speeds are ultra rare. Special Edition hyper cars get produced more then I think all of then E6X’s combined haha. I never regretted my purchase it’s probably brought me more memories, joy and excitement then anything thing I have ever possessed. Just a shame that the 6Speeds are dying.

Reactions: David B. Karpf
1 - 19 of 19 Posts