BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

Hope you can help/advise.

Drove 30 mile home along motorway no more than 70-80mph car was driving fine.

I get into town and am only driving at 25-30mph in 4th and all of a sudden the 'engine fault, reduced power' message pops up. Pull over and switch off. Switch back on and it's still there accompanied by the check engine light and car is idling high, 900rpm, and is lumpy. Drive back home and stick my code reader on and it brings up P0015 bmw B camshaft position timing over retarded bank 1.

Car now permanently show CEL and the engine fault warnings.

I plugged in my bmw DIS and it shows that the vanos solenoid on exhaust cylinder bank 1 has a value of 0.19. My question is this. Would this faulty solenoid but my car into limp home mode and cause error P0015 or do you guys think it's something else.

Could a new solenoid solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh crap I really hope not. ��

I cannot find a garage who wants to help here in west coast of Scotland.

Spun bearing? What is involved in repairing that? I know that you can drop the oil sump and access from underneath and that the motor does not need to come out!

I did an oil change and filter change on Wednesday. Could the clogged solenoid be from some
Gunk in the oil?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Do you still have the filter from the oil change? If so cut it open and look for debris.

Next up is a VANOS performance test in DIS or ISTA/D to determine the solenoid performance.

The "solenoid quality" number it provides is worthless, but the spread times and null current values are what matter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nah I don't have it and didn't even think to look for debris.

I did a vanos test and all my solenoid values are below the 0.60 min value.

Intake cylinder bank 1: not ok 0.45
Exhaust cylinder bank 1: not ok 0.19
Intake cylinder bank 2: not ok 0.43
Exhaust cylinder bank 2: not ok 0.43

I only bought the car on the 8th of January. the aftermarket warranty seems to cover everything but apparently only up to a max of £500.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Meant to ad I'm not getting any weird noises that I would associate with bearing slip! Just the vanos rattle which I presume is down to all my solenoids being under the minimum level.

T

·
0 Posts
Bearing material is the only thing in an engine that will clog an exhaust solenoid. Hopefully you get lucky. But most likely you have a clogged solenoid from some type of bearing material.

If you have over 60k miles, it is to be expected

1 - 9 of 9 Posts